Notices

Mixing Pills & Booze!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
The truth is I know more about sobriety then them. I simply just don't use what I know.
You are beginning to see the light. You "don't use what you know" because you have a blind-spot that prevents you from seeing the truth about this disease.

Addictionologists often talk about addicts having a blown insight circuit that prevents them from connecting the dots between their disease and themselves.

That is why you can not count on self-reliance to stay sober. You need help from other addicts, some kind of program of action and a Higher-Power to connect the dots.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hey there fellow Cubs fan. I didn't read every single post on this thread, but I did read yours, tiburon. I'm not here to judge, condescend or even applaud you for anything. Do what you will and in your own time. I used to be a lot like you, and I recognize that desire to be free of addiction, but at the same time the fire inside to be independent and not rely on others for help.

At my worst, I drank 10-12 shots of vodka a day for years. At my best, I took vicodin, tramadol and various muscle relaxers to keep me off the alcohol, and then would do them all together on the weekends.. I mean why not, right, it IS a weekend, after all.

AA has been huge in my recovery (currently about 90 days sober), but I understand some people don't want or need it. I could not have stayed sober this long without it. I'm afraid I don't have any help or suggestions for you other than AA, which it sounds like you really, really don't want to do.

I do wish you luck though, and if you ever want to give AA a shot (get it, a shot! ), PM me and I can recommend some decent meetings in the loop and the north side.

C&B
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting in the loop myself once.

I think the day was... well actually I know exactly the day. I was flying out to North Carolina where I drove to Moore South Carolina for a job training.

The day was September 10th, 2002. I had flown into Midway from Denver or Springs and had a 3 or 4 hour layover. That gave me time to scoot over to the Loop and catch a meeting. It was by a bunch of huge skyscrapers and river boat tourist thing. Any of you Cub fans ever get over to the Orbitz (sp?) restaurant?

I did another training out in Chicago with my bro. We ate at that Portillo's. They make a mean dog and a mean burger. It's the only place I've ever seen 4 lanes of drive-through being served at the same time. Then their order counter inside had about 10 lanes taking continuous orders.