Notices

I have a serious question, please answer folks!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by hb3 View Post
OK, to those who have quit, went sober, taken breaks:

When you stop drinking, do you constantly think about it? About having it, about how nice it would be to drink again? Do you feel irritable etc?
Of course, I imagine hardcore alcoholics who have let it run its course for a while will experience all these symptoms.

Or, does your mind go off and you simply live but without the alcohol?

I personally have no problem not drinking and don't think about it. But when I find myself in a situation, I do overdrink. That's why I wonder. How about those like me who can live without it but display troubling signs when drinking?
To answer your questions..

Yes, for a little while.. I drank enough to go through some withdrawals.. my body craved it for a few days, maybe 3. However, my committment to quitting and staying quit was stronger and i'd just do something else with my mind and my time. When a lot of people quit, they quit when they want to be sober more than not.. I had no problem with that decision.

I have never thought "how nice it would be to drink again", because drinking WASNT nice.. I usually always got drunk, and felt like ass the next day. I don't reminisce or romance the thought of it, it was gross and usually painful. fun for what, an hour or two while I made a jackass of myself at the bar geting loud, being stupid and spending a ton of money.. nahhh

Irritable? No.. maybe thru the first few days because my body had eventually (and very quickly) become dependent on it.. Since then tho, I'm happy! Sure I went through my initial thoughts of blaming myself for how out of control I got.. if I just hadn't (insert random bad drunken decision here).. and then realized over a few weeks how much simpler my life was and I started getting excited to have the complication and drama of drinking, overdrinking, etc out of my life.

I have never once regretted getting or staying sober, my life is much better than it was. I got "hard core" enough to where I would have died if I kept going. I classically went from drinking too much on the weekends, to adding a night or two during the week, to actually drinking shots at home BEFORE i'd go out, to start my buzz, to eating less when I drank so I didn't soak up my buzz, to drinking out several nights a week, to finally waking up one morning having the bright idea that if I just drank a beer really quick I'd kill my hangover (which of course worked) and switched that to drinking a few shots of vodka in ther mornings every time I had a hangover. That landed me int he hospital, almost dead. Knowing that I could take it that far has only helped to solidify my committment to being sober. Some people think that those of us who never drink are "controlled by alcohol".. quite the opposite. I almost pity people still stuck in the drinking/overdrinking/drinking as their only social lubricant/etc crap. I'm free to do anything I want, and alcohol is merely not a part of my life, and I love it
Old 08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by hb3 View Post
OK, to those who have quit, went sober, taken breaks:

When you stop drinking, do you constantly think about it? About having it, about how nice it would be to drink again? Do you feel irritable etc? Of course, I imagine hardcore alcoholics who have let it run its course for a while will experience all these symptoms.

Or, does your mind go off and you simply live but without the alcohol?

I personally have no problem not drinking and don't think about it. But when I find myself in a situation, I do overdrink. That's why I wonder. How about those like me who can live without it but display troubling signs when drinking?
I was/am a binge drinker. I can go days or weeks without drinking, but if I do drink, it is usually with the purpose to get drunk. About the only exception to this is if I have a glass of wine with dinner, it doesn't lead to any obsession to drink further.

Marajuana is my drug of choice, and as far as that goes, if I take on hit, it's off to the races. I've been clean from pot for a little over 2 1/2 months now. At first I totally obsessed about it. I still have using dreams that scare me in the morning. One of the primary reasons I quit was the need to pass a pre emplyoment drug screen. I have passed that now, so now I'm doing it for me. I think that is important. Smoking pot has done so much damage to my life, cost me so much, it should be a complete no brainer that I just can't smoke. Yet time and time again, I've gone back to it. I feel like I'm in a better emotional place than I have been in the past and don't have the need to be high 24/7 like I was before. I often feel like I don't ever want to smoke again, but other times I'm sure if it were in front of me I'd smoke up, so that obsession is still somewhat there. I'm working with a theripist to help with this and sort out some other issues that are underlying factors for me personally. For now, I just stay away from it and out of situations where it would be possible for me to get anything. This is not so easy for alcohol, as it is everywhere, and legal. So as my avitar says, I'm not all better, but getting better. Take care.