Notices

This really cheeses me off.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This really cheeses me off.

Greetings.

I have a friend, let's call him Carl, I have known Carl for the past fifteen years or so.
Nothing romantic, just a buddy.

Anyway, Carl has been sober for a bout 3 months now since he made a fool out of himself at a Memorial Day outdoor event and has been doing the 12 steps.

Lately, he has changed.
Last Friday, my best friend Angella and her boyfriend and I were at the local bar and grill just relaxing.
About 45 minutes after we were there, Carl came by to pick up a grinder, and left, upon leaving he gave me a strange glare.
I thought nothing about it until he approached me after church services on Sunday.

He started telling me I have a drinking problem (which I don't) and I really should go to the 12 step meeting with him because I may be an alcoholic, etc. etc. etc.
I was all like, whoa, where is this all coming from, just because you saw me at the bar and grill after work on a Friday doesn't make me an alcoholic......

I mean we grew up in the North End of Chicago, where virtually everybody on Michigan Ave on the Miracle Mile drinks, that doesn't make us all alcoholics.
But any way, lately Carl has been all sorts of preachy, like my way works, yours doesn't, you have to conform, that sort of thing.

If you want to climb up on your dais and preach, I am all for that, but just because one has a drinking problem and is getting help, doesn't mean that everybody else does and has to do the same.

I don't mean to criticize the 12 step progam, I am sure it works for plenty of you, and God Bless you all for that, but some of them are like the rabid Born again Christians, my way or no way at all.

I am seriously thinking about cutting off Carl as a friend.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Weird guy. Id have no time for someone labelling me. I mean :wtf2
Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know, he used to be so cool, now after about 10 weeks of being sober he got all righteous on us.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't mean to criticize the 12 step progam, I am sure it works for plenty of you, and God Bless you all for that, but some of them are like the rabid Born again Christians, my way or no way at all.
This behavior you are describing is Carl's, not part of the 12 step program... If someone works the program the way it is written, this "rapid, Born again" shiite wouldn't be happening.

So forget the 12 step thing... Carl needs a long talk with his sponsor, or he needs to seek counseling....

I dunno, but I am almost 11 months sober... I would not be stopping at a bar and grill where my drinkin' buddies hang out to get a grinder... I mean, aside from seeing who was there, why do that? Go to Subway... ya know... hmmm

Mark
Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I mean we grew up in the North End of Chicago, where virtually everybody on Michigan Ave on the Miracle Mile drinks, that doesn't make us all alcoholics.
You can't assume that everyone drinks. I seriously doubt that everyone in that particular area drinks. One of the big shocks for me when I quit drinking was discovering that not everyone drank like me.

But any way, lately Carl has been all sorts of preachy, like my way works, yours doesn't, you have to conform, that sort of thing.
That is a tough issue because I think most of us alcoholics really are reluctant to preach because well, sobriety seems to be a pretty individual and personal journey.

Maybe the guy is just overbearing and preachy by nature.

I hope you don't blame his behavior on AA because that is not how AA works.

One of the important tenants of AA is that it operates by joiners and not by recruiting. It sounds like the guy just has it wrong.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is a common thing for people in early sobriety(two years in my mind)... this will pass in time for most people.
Can you support you friend as he moves through all his emotional baggage in the program? The first 2 years are in some ways the most challenging and many many people never make it beyond that. With support and understanding, one has a better chance.
Much love and light to you,
~Cheryl
Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
problem with authority

When I think of how many human beings are in A.A., it seems unlikely that there wouldn't be people like this, but as others have said this is not what the A.A. program is about. It is not a temperance movement, and A.A. does not diagnose anyone as alcoholic.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't mean to criticize AA, I know it changed many peoples lives for the better, maybe I misrepresented my point, I was trying to convey ever since 'Carl' joined the 12 step program he's been self righteous all of a sudden, but like one person said, those begginning the program get like that sometimes.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rockstar

I know where you'r coming from tho, I have a friend who's recently converted to being vegan and preaches I shouldn't be eating meat *rolls eyes* my answer was to order a steak rare when we went to dinner
Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like your auto signature.

It's like some Born again Christians that used to do drugs and steal and such, then they find God all of a sudden and keep bugging you to turn your life over to Christ.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Originally Posted by valeriec View Post
I like your auto signature.

It's like some Born again Christians that used to do drugs and steal and such, then they find God all of a sudden and keep bugging you to turn your life over to Christ.
Thank you
Old 07-30-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sikkisirus View Post
Weird guy. Id have no time for someone labelling me. I mean :wtf2
Exactly,
my boy friend likes scotch rocks, I like bloody Mary's with brunch, but if my b/f quit drinking and got preachy with me, I'd drop his butt lickety split.
If I quit, I'd never tell somebody else how to live their life.
Live and let live.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

valeriec.....

You took the trouble to join a recovery site
to complain about a newly sober man you are
not really close to?

Gee....that is a little drastic don't you think?

Hope you find a way to enjoy your life
whatever you choose to do. Best of luck
Old 07-30-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have known him 15 years, since our teens.
I wanted a forum like this to vent in to get the recovery peoples point of view since I have never seen such a personality change like this in my life.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Heathen

Everyone's sobriety and recovery journey is different. Many people get sober and still have a lot of resentments in life.

I don't use a 12 step program as part of my recovery, but I do know that if he's working the program, he's not representing AA in the least.

I do know, that when I quit drinking I let go of my friends who drank as their only social outlet, they had no position in my life anymore as I was trying to find new and healthier things to do, and get rid of toxicity. Most of those friends had no interest in pursuing sober activities with me, and therefore I had no interest in them anymore, as they clearly weren't friends.

That being said, why he goes to the local bar for food when there's other places around, I don't know. Maybe he's stuck.. maybe he's struggling.. I hope that he makes some new sober friends in AA that can steer him in a healthier and positive direction.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had something similar happen once...
a long time friend of mine (who had recently quit drinking & was in AA) came into the bar I was in one night & started getting on my case about my drinking and that I should be going to AA. She was NOT a welcome guest at the table that night! LOL
She is now back to drinking, and I have quit... life is full of twists & turns
In hindsight, I can see she meant well.... she was extremely enthusiastic about her new-found sobriety & wanted others to experience the same. At the time, what she did felt like a very unwanted intrusion of my evening... but I can see now is that she wanted to share her new knowledge of a better life.... and bless her heart, she wanted to share that with me... now there is a true friend

Maybe give your friend a bit of slack... you've been friends for a long time, don't let something like this come between you two. He is going through a life-altering experience right now... it will take time for all that to settle down & for him to stand on solid ground again... right now he's in the zone of wanting to heal himself & everybody he knows!
In a kind & gentle way let him know what boundaries you don't want crossed. Your friendship might need a bit of space for awhile until he settles into being comfortable in his own sober skin & learns how to interact with others on a new level that he's not used to. For those of us that drank all our adult lives, we have to totally relearn how to socialize with others again...this time without the crutch of alcohol.

Sobriety is his new shiny toy that he wants to show off to everyone, so that they will want one too
Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hope you find a way to enjoy your life
whatever you choose to do. Best of luck

Aren't you nice?
Thank you Carol
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by valeriec View Post
I have known him 15 years, since our teens.
I wanted a forum like this to vent in to get the recovery peoples point of view since I have never seen such a personality change like this in my life.
ahhh.... well there you go... you have now witnessed the life-transforming miracle that happens when we quit our addictions...

take a step back & look at this miracle that is happening to your friend...
right in front of your eyes! I wish him all the best on his journey of self-discovery.... you should too!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I wouldn't cut a guy off as a friend for something like that, but that's jmho.

My bet would be he means well, but from what you've said, he's out of line and over the top. Maybe tell him you appreciate the concern, but you don't think you have a problem with alcohol.

Choosing sobriety is a pretty big deal, odds are he's excited for himself, as he should be.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Did you share all of your feelings with Carl?