Notices

Slow Motion

Old 09-02-2003, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slow Motion

Hi Everyone, Now that I am a little over 90 days,
I have been having a small problem off and on. I feel like the world around me is going in slow motion. Have any of you had this problem? I feel like nobody is moving fast enough for me. I am sure it is my alcoholic mind trying to rush recovery. I guess maybe I am trying to accomplish to much. I have just joined Golds Gym. Maybe some excercise will help wear off some of the energy.
The VA thought it would be a good way to take up some of the free time I have not drinking. Anyway, just thought maybe someone else has the problem and some ideas. Thanks Don w
Old 09-02-2003, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Don W,

I can understand where you are coming from. I am at 119 days, and I sometimes feel like everything around me seems to be moving slower than I used to think it was. Perhaps it's just our bodies getting adjusted to being without alcohol. I mean, I used to drink so much that it seemed the months just all ran together. I'd wake up one morning and not realize that half the year had went by. Guess I didn't notice time passing as usual in all of my drunken hazes. It all just seemed to mesh together into one big blob of time - that I could care less about. lol

Sometimes I get that anxious feeling, and will start doing a bunch of stuff, trying to get my mind off things, and I'm thinking to myself - "time sure is going slowly". I guess, because, none of the stuff I'm doing ever makes me feel as carefree or happy as my drinking did (at least that's what I thought). So, now I'm having to recondition my thinking. It's almost like you have to learn how to slow down and enjoy life again after alcohol, isn't it? I used alcohol to supposedly "help" me enjoy things, and I think in the process I forgot how to enjoy them without it - but I'm learning to take joy in things again. To slow down, and get to know myself again..what things I REALLY enjoy doing. The real me, not the alcoholic me. I guess it all takes time - but I DO where you're coming from, and hopefully with more time, we'll be able to put things in more of a prespective.

Take care,
PG

:skiptrip:
Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Don,
I celebrated 8 months on 8/26, and know exactly what you mean. Most of us AA folks seem to sway toward being adrenaline junkies - at least to a certain extent. The booze gave us drama and excitement, even when in reality there probably wasn't any.
The exercise is a great idea. I actually started doing triathlons this summer and it was great! Some might say I've traded 1 obsession for another, and some would be right. That's ok. Given the choice to swim, bike, run or drink, I think it's pretty clear what's healthier for me. Over time, I've been able to spend more time doing less, but that's what it takes - time. Here I am at 2 a.m. on this board cuz I'm too stressed to sleep. Time keeps a tickin' away. Good luck to your - you're doing just fine.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Don, after only 60 hours sober something like that started to happen. When I started drinking a few beer would make me dizzy. After years of abusing the stuff a crate or more of beer would make me steady as a rock, but sometimes had trouble following what was said if it was more than one simple thing at a time. My mind could process it but slowly and simple. Often I said, let's continue this tommorow cause I can't really follow this right now. After even a day sober more cylinders started to fire and the mind reved up. I could well imagine that after 3 months the mind is again fully powered up and back up to speed to the point that it seems the world has slowed down.
Congradulations on the 3 months.
Wiebe
Old 09-03-2003, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes in early recovery we feel we have to fix everything that we screwed up, and things we are not even resposible for. I can relate to you. I have too also raced around in early recovery over working over exersizing just plain overdoing it. Just take it easy and slow down. You do not want to overwelm your self. Go to a park on a sunny day. goto to a peaceful spot and just be. Sit around the house and read a book. Try to just let something go instead of fixing it. Sometimes in early recovery we need to learn how to live a balenced life. It takes practice and patience. So Just for today learn to relax..
Old 09-03-2003, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Don.

It seems to be a fairly common occurence for alcoholics early in recovery to start expecting things to start happening all at once.

I read so many books about alcoholism and attended so many meetings my sponsor had to ask me to slow down.

Burning off some energy at the gym is a good idea.

Just try to remain focused on your recovery and not allow too many distractions to filter in and knock you off track.

You're doing great.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, Isn't it stange how alike we all are when it comes to drinking and recovery. Sometimes I think they could put 25 of us in a room, and have us write our story. Then have us exchange it and we could read it like our own.
The advice you all gave is what I know but, I need people to keep steering me towards it. My recovery is sort of like a candle and a floodlight. Sometimes, I can see the path with a candle, and other times I need a floodlight. Like your post Peter. I have read many of your posts and just now
noticed you are in Jamaica. That is my wife's and my favorite vacation spot. We go to Club Ambiance
in Runaway bay often. I love the music and the people. Even my grandchildren's father is from there. His family lives in Manchester. I have to get back to work. " YA MON " Don W
Old 09-03-2003, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Back in the days when I used to more actively follow motorsports at the Dover speedway, Club Ambiance was my favorite spot too.

Manchester is a beautifiul place with lush green hillsides and who knows maybe one day we might run into each other the next time you are on vacation.