Notices

New Here, Sober Awhile

Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
vicariousrising

New Here, Sober Awhile

Hello. I've already posted on a handful of threads, but I thought I would write an introductory post. I don't know how I missed this site after all this time, but it flew under my radar until I was goofing around with my Google Reader today and it recommended this site.

I'm vicariousrising, an alcoholic, and I've been blogging on my own site for about three years now and been lurking around many other recovery related blogs during that time. My sobriety date is 10/25/05. I went to rehab for six weeks (after a 10 day detox--I was real effed up), then went to AA meetings two and three times a day for over a year. Then I went daily for about another year. For the past year or so, I've only been to a few meetings, including my anniversaries. I am daily involved in recovery readings and interaction and I have been in therapy for-freaking-ever.

Recovery has been a very long, slow road for me, and I am glad for it. I trust the process this way.

My life is a total cliche of it being better than I ever thought possible, but it really is. I am happy. Those three little words -- those three major words -- are true. It's not just enough, it blows my socks off.

I think we all have our path to take and I love the way being sober has opened my heart and mind to the world. I can be a little crotchity sometimes too. Not too much. I don't want anyone to mistake me for a Pollyanna because that will **** me off. Everything isn't perfect, but it is a gorgeous imperfection that never bores me.

Ok, maybe sometimes. But the hyperbole was fun.

I'll try not to blab so much in the future. I'm just happy to make your acquaintances.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's very, very nice to meet you as well.

Hearing you've been sober for almost five years is very reassuring to me.

Thanks for your post.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi vicariousrising

Already seen you around, but I wanted to welcome to SR.
I'm a little crotchety too so we should get along fine LOL

5 years is awesome - gives hope to me too
see you around some more!

D
Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi there! big well done on 5 years.... amazing! and welcome, i only just joined here really too...
i'm doing much better than when you commented on my post by the way... thanks for that!
hope to see you around
xtessx