Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How do you avoid the liquor store on the way home from work?

Notices

How do you avoid the liquor store on the way home from work?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was thinking the same thing. I can think of 4 wine stores within a two mile radius of my house. I can walk to one which is probably about .25 miles down the road. It is open until 10:00 at night every night, Sundays til 9:00 I think (of course I know the times it is open and closed). And wine was my DOC. Ughhh....As I said, I have not gone there in over two weeks. But readily accessible indeed. Okay, off to the grocery store where there is no wine in Maryland.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

No wine in the Maryland grocery stores. I new there was at least one good reason for living up there Trader.

Va ed
Old 07-26-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
problem with authority

I was kidding around. I too would drink anything. Once when I was broke I had a bottle of dry vermouth sitting on top the fridge. Having already fished coins out of every imaginable place in my house, I made myself vermouth on the rocks. Disgusting, but I drank it.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You had it on the rocks, hell, I chugged (sweet or dry) vermouth warm straight from the bottle.... ... more than once (My wife kept it in the basement with the gin so her father could have martinis when he visited... well... once the gin ran out... you guess the rest.)

Mark
Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post
...Isn't it kind of sad how something so toxic is so easily accessible?
I'm sorry, but I just don't relate to this statement at all. It may be toxic for some of us, but not all. Some people have absolutely no problem with booze and it's a big part of their culture. There are many many non-alkies and non-hard drinkers who can control and enjoy their booze. They can put it into their food too.

You may be new to recovery so I think I may be able to share something helpful to you regardless of what kind of recovery you find.

I don't believe that the world should burden their behaviors for our sake, but rather, I should take 100% responsibility for my own recovery. This is perhaps helpful to you, others, and non alkies.

I'm not going to waste my time repeating what the life of a recovered/recovering person is like. If we have an alcoholic mind, we run into these problems. If we "follow a few simple rules" and "take a certain attitude", then this becomes a non-issue for you.

If you think you have a problem with booze, there's help for you. Once you settle in on a recovery path, you have to hit it pretty hard. There's work to be done and I don't think avoidance is too helpful. There's a story in the Big Book that says shielding the alky from booze is doomed to fail. Something about being in the most remote place on earth and an eskimo showing up with a bottle.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You know, I thought of you and "a certain attitude" last week at a picnic one of my favorite AA groups had...

There was an alanon speaker and a few alanon's along for the ride... An old guy with jeans and suspenders wore a T-shirt with an evil Calvin. It said... "No one forces me to drink, I volunteer!" Some AA's were upset, I thought it was funny and that he had balls... Actually I loved it... When some AAs were complaining to him, he said he usually wears another T-shirt... "Alcoholics Anonymous.... A great place to pick up drunk chicks"

You know, there are a whole lot of normal people out there who like to joke about drinking (some active alkies too...). That's part of our society too. Just like the liquor store on the way home, the beer aisle, Las Vegas.... We just need to develop a certain attitude.

Then of course I thought of a newcomer that was there this morning... two mugs of beer clinking a toast tatooed on his deltoid...

Mark
Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Originally Posted by chiquen81
...Isn't it kind of sad how something so toxic is so easily accessible?
I'm sorry, but I just don't relate to this statement at all. It may be toxic for some of us, but not all.
Alcohol is definitely a toxin. What role do you suppose the liver is playing in its metabolism? Or, what do you suppose it is about alcohol that would cause such astoundingly pervasive organ damage? I read a lot of forensic pathology articles and time and time again, alcohol is the lone killer.

The fact that we may ingest a low enough quantity of mercury to avoid major complications does not negate the fact that mercury is a toxin.

But I get what you are saying about burdening society because of the minority.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spittake View Post
Alcohol is definitely a toxin. What role do you suppose the liver is playing in its metabolism? ...
Originally Posted by from Carol's excerpts of Under The Influence

Page 21
Once in the blood stream, alcohol is distributed throughout the body in simple diffusion. Its small and relatively simple molecular structure allows it to pass right through cell membranes and mix in the entire water content of the body. The brain, liver, heart, pancreas, lungs, kidneys, and every other organ and tissue system are infiltrated by alcohol within minutes after it passes into the bloodstream.

Alcohol's immediate effect on the brain is most unusual. The brain is usually protected from chemicals and drugs by an electrical-chemical filter system known as "the blood/brain barrier," which makes sure that only very simple molecules such as those of oxygen and water can pass through. The simple molecular structure of alcohol allows it to penetrate this selective screen and gain easy access to the brain and its extension, the spinal cord.

Consequently, alcohol has immediate and profound effects on behavior. At low doses, alcohol stimulates the brain cells, and the drinker feels happy, talkative, energetic, and euphoric. After one or two drinks, the normal drinker may experience some improvement in thought and performance.
There again, we are the abnormal drinkers. A normal drinker drinks two or less alcoholic drinks a day. If they drink one drink per hour, their body metabolizes the booze and they don't even get drunk. But after a couple, they feel a bit out of control and/or nauseous and just stop. So... with that quantity, I'd say most doctors would say, "No problem" or perhaps, even "good for you."

Originally Posted by more from Under the Influence
It employs another enzyme with a similar name, aldehyde dehydrogenase, to transform acetaldehyde into acetate. Acetate is then converted to carbon dioxide and water and eventually eliminated from the body. During these two steps in alcohol oxidation, a great deal of energy is released. In fact, with ordinary rates of alcohol metabolism, almost the entire energy needs of the liver can be satisfied. Most of the acetate is passed into the blood stream and oxidized to carbon dioxide and water in other organs. The energy produced in these reactions contribute to the energy needs of the entire body. In the alcoholic, up to two-thirds of the body's total energy needs may be satisfied by substituting alcohol for other foods. This explains why alcoholics often neglect eating for several weeks at a time.

The conversion of alcohol into acetaldehyde and acetate is an efficient process in most drinkers. The liver works at maximum efficiency, converting alcohol at the rate of approximately one-half ounce per hour, until all the alcohol in the body is broken down and its energy released to the cells. The liver is then able to return to its other duties.
So... let's not forget... alcohol is also food.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

I've used the suggestion from the Living Sober book. Sometimes the answer can be very simple just postpone stopping at the store. Tell youself that you'll stop there after you've finished your business then pospone it for next time......... Your doing welland better than you think.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

The liquor Store *is* where I work.

I think it's got a lot to do with time
(coming up three years now)
the necessity of a job

and I come in , work - and leave.

People don't usually reek of liquor,
tell the same stories over and over,
vomit, grope ...

you know - the bar stuff.

so it's okay right now -
and completely dependent on my spiritual condition.

But right now - I need the money.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

@McGowdog
Acetaldehyde is toxic, isn't it? At this point, I am way out of my element, dude...

But yes, of course, it's a matter of quantity.

It might be noted that neither of the authors of that book is a medical doctor or biological researcher. And its publication date is 1984.

Last edited by spittake; 07-26-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: grammar and subterfuge
Old 07-26-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You call it poison, I call it an industry.

I'm pro A.A. I do know that. Being that I am, I have a job to do. Being into temperance or reform is not our gig... in any way shape or form.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm pro A.A. I do know that. Being that I am, I have a job to do. Being into temperance or reform is not our gig... in any way shape or form.
There is a statement I can get behind, this not being an AA forum but instead a forum about alcoholism I will not get into debate as to whether or not alcohol should be banned. I surely can understand anyone's feelings on that topic pro and con. The truth is that alcohol kills many many people every year. Many believe that MADD ( Mothers against Drunk Drivers) has become a modern day temperance movement ( I am not making that accusation). Here is a little history of temperance movment around the world:

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Temperance Movements

Here is MADDs website:

- Mothers Against Drunk Driving

The point is, follow your heart, if you feel strongly about alcohol and social issues get involved and do something. But, you may have an easier path if you free yourself from the urge to drink. Those of who work the AA program live in complete freedom from alcohol and do not fear the liquor store. I do not say that to be condescending, just to let you know that personal freedom does not have to depend upon everyone else conforming to our wants. After you experience personal recovery and you still feel strongly about the burden alcohol causes on society, there are many organizations that share that feeling.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Aren't alcohol selling laws weird? In NM, we don't have a lot of dedicated liquor-only stores because it's sold everywhere else. But, when I'm in the midwest visiting family, it seems there's a liquor store on every corner because it's not at the gas stations or grocery stores.

I never used to notice it when I was drinking; but sober, and early in the morning to get my coffee and burrito, I now see all the guys I see in the 7-11's buying a handful of mini's and a 20 oz. soda. It's like "I know what you're up to..."
Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
There is a statement I can get behind, this not being an AA forum but instead a forum about alcoholism I will not get into debate as to whether or not alcohol should be banned...
Thanks. And I'd agree that this is not listed as an "A.A. forum". But it's right next door to the 12 Step subforum. Some of us in here are A.A. and some are not.

The Alcoholism subforum is surely not A.A. and I avoid it mostly to minimize confrontation. But I will voice my A.A. views and experiences in the Alcoholism 12 Step subforum as I see no other place to go.

But once in a while, I see the need to add the 12 Step perspective on some of these topics, keeping in mind the other recoveries for alcoholism as well.

See... SR has taught me to be open-minded... to other approaches. And to not judge someone if they don't go A.A. But I hope to be there to demonstrate what A.A.'s stance is on certain topics.

I'm sure there's a fight and an industry out there in the realm of alcoholism, neither of which we A.A.'s need to engage in ... in order to get and stay sober.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I just put the metal to the metal when I see the damn liquor store and gun it to pass it as fast as I can, gritting my teeth!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post

I never used to notice it when I was drinking; but sober, and early in the morning to get my coffee and burrito, I now see all the guys I see in the 7-11's buying a handful of mini's and a 20 oz. soda. It's like "I know what you're up to..."
I notice that too! To think that I was that guy at 9 A.M. with a 12 pack of Bud! Its so obvious what you're up to! Sometimes the clerk tilt his head like..."You sir, got a drinkin' problem....but we need your business, so i'll smile now". Hahaha.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NeverLookinBack View Post
I just put the metal to the metal when I see the damn liquor store and gun it to pass it as fast as I can, gritting my teeth!
Metal to the metal? Woops. I think everyone knew what I meant.

Why do almost all alcoholics mysteriously live near liquor stores?!