Notices

Day 2

Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

TODAY IS DAY 2 FOR ME. IM SO EXCITED I GOT THROUGH DAY 1, ALTHOUGH I WAS UP UNTIL 4AM, BUT THEN AGAIN I WAS SLEEPING TILL ABOUT 2-3 PM. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO FALL ASLEEP AND STAY ASLEEP THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT? WELL BESIDES THAT I FEEL GOOD AND MOTIVATED, I DID A LITTLE BIT OF CLEANING TODAY WHICH MADE ME FEEL NOT WORTHLESS. I THINK TODAY IM GONNA TRY OUT SOME NEW HOBBIES BESIDES DRINKING. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I ALREADY STARTED TO DO A PUZZLE BUT IM SLOWLY SLIPPING AWAY BACK INTO BOREDOM.......

I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT TOMOROW BRINGS
Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Be patient.. we really destroyed a lot of things in our bodies. It takes time to heal...
Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Chamomile tea can help you relax to sleep. Valerian and scullcap are also good herbals for calming. Drink lots of water and juice. Eat easy foods like jello and soup and applesauce.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you don't like prescription sleep aids, look into buying some Melatonin, GABA and 5-HTP. There are many teas you can find at places like Vitamin Cottage or health food stores that help you get to sleep. Also make sure you exercise earlier in the day, no later than 5-6 hours before you go to bed. Also take calcium and/or drink a big glass of milk. Avoid B vitamins, energy drinks and coffee after noon. If you don't mind taking sleep medication there's a few effective ones including Lunesta, Ambien and Trazedone, which is an anti-depressant that makes you sleepy. Also try doing a body scan meditation (Google it) before you go to bed, it's helpful. I know I've had a lot of insomnia over the past month of recovery, and these things have helped, namely the Trazedone. It's most important to destress and train your mind to shut down your thoughts before trying to sleep. And get up earlier in the day so you feel more tired at night. Oh, and also maintain an organized and tidy living space. This helps so much to get me to sleep.

Good luck
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I took Sleep MD for about 2 weeks after I quit drinking. It's all natural, and non-habit forming. After the two weeks I decided I didn't want to be dependent on anything anymore, including sleep aids natural or not, and quit those and have slept like a baby ever since. I never wanted to pursue perscription drugs, as I'm trying to live addiction free.. and so far so good! Just takes your body time to adjust.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Cut out all caffeine. Drink sleepy time tea. Take warm baths. Enjoy your new found sobriety!
You can do anything now!!
When I first got sober I enjoyed doing things I did not or could not do sober.
So think outside, coordination, challenging, fun!!!
Also one thing I do a lot of today is volunteering. I can look people in the eye today and have found that I am pretty charming, lol.
Enjoy!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Chamomile tea as Least suggested is good. As for things to do to drift off, try a sudoku puzzle while listening to relaxing music. One thing I do, and it never fails with me, is I get a favourite book, one that ive read many times over, and I read a few well known chapters. Its 'boring' enough to send you off to sleep but comforting too because its a favourite book. Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I try to get up at 5am so that when drinking time comes I am already tired. I exercise some during the day, and when the cravings come I have been over-eating for dinner and keeping chocolate cake around (which is funny because normally I don't eat sweets)...then I use a lot of vitamins and Melatonin 30 mins before bed.

In the evening I am taking a Cal/Mag/Zinc supplement because you need zinc to sleep and alcohol strips it from the body.

Not a doctor but I am sleeping OK through 5 days.

You can do it!