Notices

Unsure

Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsure

Alcoholic Gary Reinbach dead at 22 after transplant refused - Times Online

Not sure exactly how I feel about this article. Sad, annoyed, not shocked, and heartbroken all at the same time I suppose.

Thoughts?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Wow...lbd.

I know alcoholism is a huge problem in the UK...it's sad to hear stories from some of the people at SR who want to stop and want to get help, but they can't because of the way things are done there. I would think there should be some kind of effort at public awareness/prevention/treatment because of the staggering number of deaths due to alcohol abuse. Why isn't this a priority in the UK? It seems like it is easier to get help in the US (based upon what I've heard). It makes me very sad. It doesn’t have to be this way.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a thread about this story in newcomers, also. It may be back to page 2 by now tho. This story is so shocking....my heart tells me that anyone so young should be given a second chance at life....but when my dad needed a liver transplant for a non-alcohol related disease, I think I would have been extremely bitter if he would have died waiting while a liver was given to someone who abused their body with alcohol. It's such a tough call in general. Altho the rules in this case seem particularly ridiculous...the poor kid had to prove that he could be abstinent outside the hospital, yet was too sick to leave...makes no sense.....

I hope his family will be able to find some peace.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've been an organ donor for years.....I strongly suggest others
consider doing so ...perhaps this can lessen such tragic events.

I found myself hopeing his parents would have the compassion
to allow his other organs to be used to benefit those in need.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

A friend of mine died an alcoholic death. He could have also been saved by a liver transplant, however in most hospitals there are rules about alcoholics and transplants. Just one more reason to stop before you have irreversable damage! Many alcholics are ineligible for liver transplants if the disease has anything to do with drinking. I do not disagree with that one bit.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Definitely heartbreaking, and I really hesitate to form any opinion, the article indicates he might've committed himself to recovery, and the time restraints placed upon him were too long considering his condition. It's very sad.

But I read a few of the comments below the article, and while they seem harsh at first, it's hard to disagree with them. As an alcoholic, I knew the damage I was doing to my body, yet I chose to deny it and continued to drink. Quite a few times I went to the doctor with back pains and was advised to stop drinking immediately, as soon as the pain stopped I'd pronounce myself cured and pick up a drink again.

I agree with Carol, we need as many people as possible to commit to organ donation, and to carrying the message about the deadliness of our diseases.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Until the medical community can see addiction as a serious mental illness/medical condition we'll continue to have these needless deaths.

Alcoholics have such stigma attached to them...yet there isn't much public awarness about this condition. The information about how to get help and signs that one is at risk is lacking in the public sphere. We have so much information out there about Diabetes (much of it caused by food addiction)...it's time that the same level of information is front and center about Alcoholism and other forms of addiction.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sad story, but how does a child from the age 13 on get away with binge drinking?!!! I think the parents need to take a good hard look at how they contributed.