Notices

dont know why i keep doing this to myself

Old 07-23-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi again, Matt! That is quite a plan you outlined for your recovery. I hope it helps! However, this is JMO, but I would focus primarily on the AA meetings at this point. It has been my experience that "Meeting makers make it", and one meeting a week doesn't seem like much, especially if you have a variety of meetings in your area. Many newcomers are told to aim for 90 in 90 - meaning 90 meetings in 90 days. I found it crucial in the beginning to hit a lot of meetings to hear what I needed to hear and to meet others as sick as I was face to face, and begin noticing the ones who had what I wanted - so I could begin looking for a sponsor. You do not have to share at a meeting, just tell when it's your turn that you're new to sobriety, glad to be there and glad to be sober, then pass. It's usually better for newcomers to do mostly listening anyway! Your idea of going to speaker meetings is a very good one, since a beginner is bound to hear something in another's whole story that s/he can identify with. Coming here is a good idea to supplement meetings, and it does help you get information and support on sobriety. Again, though, what worked for me most was the fellowship of other alcoholics in a meeting. Rewards are okay, but your greatest reward will be the joy of being sober and getting to the point where you can help other alcoholics. I was told to keep it simple in the beginning: Don't drink. Go to meetings. Ask your Higher Power for help, even if your HP is the AA fellowship itself and nothing more. Again, all of this is what worked for me. And I am still sober after many years - one day at a time. You remain in my thoughts, Matt, and I wish you all the best.