Notices

Can't Get Sober/ Can't Get Drunk

Old 07-19-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
Thanks Pinckuda always there with the hammer. I know the tough guy approach works sometimes but not with this alcoholic/addict.

tib
Yes, didn't add any suggestions or value. Of course, I do have a business background and think in value-added terms, as I was held accountable to this. I added value.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I, along with everyone else has made a multitude of suggestions both hard and soft.
Every one of them seems to fall on deaf ears. Just to make up for it I'll offer a big hug if Tib can stay sober for 6 months without an excuse which he seems to have for every suggestion made.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
I, along with everyone else has made a multitude of suggestions both hard and soft.
Every one of them seems to fall on deaf ears. Just to make up for it I'll offer a big hug if Tib can stay sober for 6 months without an excuse which he seems to have for every suggestion made.
With all due respect, in light of comments you make, maybe your big hug just isn't ENOUGH or even welcome. I always err on the side of compassion. Hint. Not all of us have "excuses." Not all of "you" understand.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
I will be attending a SMART recovery meeting soon. Hopefully, it's filled with people that did not "click" with the worlds number 1 program AA. I heard there are no steps, sponsers or counting sobriety days! Pink, every wisdom of advise you have given me has been hardline AA. I realize if I want to get sober with AA, I'm probably going to die. Perhaps then I can be made an example of someone who, "just didn't work the program." I have been to hundreds of AA/NA meetings & I can finally say that it's just not for me. In some ways I actually think it makes me worse. I feel better now that I've been sober a few days & have not attended a meeting. Of course here at SR I'm outnumbered by "Bill Wilson's friends". I won't be posting for a while because I realize SR is making me feel worse as well. I believe 95% of the
people here at SR that upset me are die-hard AA members. I guess I am growing in my recovery. I feel better so thank you folks.

tib
Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I will be attending a SMART recovery meeting soon. Hopefully, it's filled with people that did not "click" with the worlds number 1 program AA. I heard there are no steps, sponsers or counting sobriety days! Pink, every wisdom of advise you have given me has been hardline AA. I realize if I want to get sober with AA, I'm probably going to die. Perhaps then I can be made an example of someone who, "just didn't work the program." I have been to hundreds of AA/NA meetings & I can finally say that it's just not for me. In some ways I actually think it makes me worse. I feel better now that I've been sober a few days & have not attended a meeting. Of course here at SR I'm outnumbered by "Bill Wilson's friends". I won't be posting for a while because I realize SR is making me feel worse as well. I believe 95% of the
people here at SR that upset me are die-hard AA members. I guess I am growing in my recovery. I feel better so thank you folks.

tib
Tib, I go to SMART. I also have a super secret resource for you that I won't share with anyone else, if you are interested. It's really helped me. PM me if you like. BTW, AA is NOT the world's number 1 program. It is, however, the United States' number 1 program. Like I said, I have a resource that doesn't involve AA. Ok, the US people do go to AA, but there are enough foreigners to make up for a well rounded perspective.

Katie.

Last edited by Katie09; 07-19-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add thought
Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

i really have no excuse to say anything, since i have fallen off the wagon myself. please forgive me for anything harsh i said to you, since i can't seem to take my own advice.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well Tib, I suspect that you won't be posting because SMART is going to "Get you sober" which is what you seem to want. That way nothing has to rest on your shoulders.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Tib, you might consider posting in the Secular Connections forum. There are a lot of SMARTies over there and 12-step discussions are not allowed. I think it matters not what, if any, "program" you choose to work as long as you realize that you have to "do the work". No "program" is going to "fix you". I sure wish there was one, and if you happen to find one like that, please let me know!! Good luck with the SMART thing, I've found a lot of their methods and teachings very helpful. They have a wealth of resources availalbe on thier website SMART RecoveryŽ Help with Alcohol, Drug, and Other Addictions Good luck and take care.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Pinkcuda;2302434]Well Tib, I suspect that you won't be posting because SMART is going to "Get you sober" which is what you seem to want. That way nothing has to rest on your shoulders.[/QUO
Perhaps I should continue to beat a dead horse. AA is going to kill me faster than alcohol itself.

tib
Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Tib,

I urge you to give it up. It's obvious AA is NOT the solution for you, nor is exposing yourself to AA criticisms. Pop over to secular. Better yet, go to SMART. I have a Wed. night SMART meeting here and when it was suggested by some AA members (in that SMART meeting) that SMART become more like AA I just about flipped. I know AA drives me to drink. I just try to avoid it.

Katie
Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
Tib, you might consider posting in the Secular Connections forum. There are a lot of SMARTies over there and 12-step discussions are not allowed. I think it matters not what, if any, "program" you choose to work as long as you realize that you have to "do the work". No "program" is going to "fix you". I sure wish there was one, and if you happen to find one like that, please let me know!! Good luck with the SMART thing, I've found a lot of their methods and teachings very helpful. They have a wealth of resources availalbe on thier website SMART RecoveryŽ Help with Alcohol, Drug, and Other Addictions Good luck and take care.
Tyler, I think what really matters is to be around a group of loving and supporting and non-judgmental people. I found a group like this who want to be sober. Half of them do not reside in the US. AA is not ingrained in them. There is no shame around it, no reprimanding and the like. This, to me, is the single most important factor - to just be accepted and not judged for who one is. No labels, no inventories - just an acceptance that alcohol has no place in one's life.