Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

ok this was alarming how long till this stops happening??

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jimbo

a month today just when i thought pah booze who needs it see how easy i have given up ,see how strong willed i am i have not even been tempted to drink even when so called mate have put a large jack daniels (my poison of choice)in my hand

then at 9 am today i'm staying at my gf's house ,i go to find a box of all bran for breakfast ,i come across a bottle of jack daniels ,that square old friend looked so good i could feel my hand and arm just reaching out to get it , my mouth was just watering in anticipation of that distinctive taste i used to love so much

then every bit of my consciousness just screamed at me noooo

i backed away confused and upset... what the hell just happened .... does it happen to you guys ....... if so for how long ........ i'm so glad i never drank it ...but that really scared me
Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm at home with my parents. I didn't ask my mom to quit drinking, but I did ask her to hide her booze from me after I had reached down in a cupboard for the table top grill and found a full enough bottle of Captain right in front of it. I did not drink it, but it was upsetting.

Out of sight, out of mind. Ask your gf to hide that stuff from you.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jim, well done on not drinking! You have a month in on sobriety - congratulations! The feeling of wanting a drink will disappear....probably around the same time you realize that nothing good can come of ever drinking again. It will take a while to get there man, so stay strong in your sobriety and your recovery. I would say it took me about three months of sobriety to feel like everyday wasn't a roller coaster, a few more months to get over resentments about not being able to drink "normally" (and a whole bunch of other junk) and at just about 21 months, you couldn't pay me to deal with good ole Mr. Jack again. Life is so much sweeter without him, altho I wouldn't have believed you if you told me that 20 months ago.

All in good time Jim. You are doing great. Be strong.

Jomey
Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Man, I feel y'alls pain, but I don't want to drink.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you for resisting the temptation! THe cravings will get less as you get more sober time. But yes, ask your gf to put it away where you won't see it. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on taying sboer...

Sure...those wild "grab and guzzle" incidents
are part of my journey too. The longer I
have been sober..the less they came...

Keep in focus...you too can win over alcohol.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been in this situation recently, I had bought 8 pint cans of cider and I gave4 too a friend. I just had enough of drinking I went too the doctor and they detoxed me.

I really didnt want too give them up so I kept 4 just incase I needed them, but the meds worked and I gave the other 4 too him and I am now 14 days sober and feel loads better.

He isnt an alcoholic by the way. He can take it or leave it for months wish I could do that but it aint ever gonna happen, cuz Ive tried so many times too drink "responsibly"
I know I cant drink like so called normal people. I would rather live than die.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

I think it’s different for everyone. However, most research papers I have read said either 90 days or 1 year to "reset" an alcoholic/addicts brain.

For the first few months of my sobriety, I did my best to avoid tempting situations but I don't live alone on an island. It was bound to happen & it did quite often.

I have found that the temptation does not go away immediately but is instead a gradual process. For the first few months when these situations happened, it was very emotional, fighting that old deeply ingrained way of thinking. But with each test I passed, I did get stronger, more confident in my ability to stay sober.

It helps to keep it in perspective. 99% of the time I am fine, living a good sober life. It is only on that rare occasion that I feel a bit deprived (depraved? ) but I know I can deal with it.

Last night I watched a football game on TV. Every second commercial was about alcohol & that supposedly guaranteed lifestyle (machismo, camaraderie, parties, laughter, music, women). Interestingly, it wasn’t the getting drunk that I was thinking about but instead the lifestyle. No, my drinking was never like a beer commercial and my life without alcohol is just fine thank you very much! These thoughts always pass.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I really wish they would discontinue beer commercials on TV. They stopped advertising cigarettes here about 30 years ago. I remember seeing those beer commercials when I was a kid and thinking...wow! Beer drinking looks like a blast! I can't wait until I'm old enough to drink and have all that fun! Turns out, it's really not so much fun.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't think it matters how long I've been sober, I still much prefer not to be around alcohol. Although it was my choice to use and abuse it, it still represents much more than it really is. I think I would react with some anxiety if I happened upon a big bottle of anything that would get me drunk.. I don't know that you could prevent it from happening really, every little success counts.. and will probably make you feel stronger and stronger.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

It is awesome that you are experiencing a renewal of your conscious!
Keep on keeping on and just don't take that first drink today.
Have you shared this success with your sponsor?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jimbo

thanks to all of you for your replies

i guess i'm a over posting guys and i may get on a few of your nerves but in my defence not only am i a moron i really do not have any other sober people to talk to about this new shiny sober world i find myself in
Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're not a moron, and yes, it's good to have sober people to talk to about these things - we understand you.:ghug3
Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One thing I have a problem with more than simply being around alcohol is being around people who are trying to make me drink alcohol.

You know, you eat dinner with some friends, who bring some other friends and the people that don't know you notice that you're the only one not drinking... "hey man, why don't you get a beer?"

"No thanks... I've got to go the gym in the morning."

"So do I, dude... I don't trust a man that doesn't drink."

Had that happen a couple times before... drives me insane. Part of me wants to say something like, "alright man, if you really attach drinking to some form of manliness, let's just say that I could make you look like Clay Aiken."
Old 07-03-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
jimbo

it is annoying ,i even have people say come on jimbo just have one for me mate just one wont hurt ,if i could stop at one for chrissakes i would not be in this mess

then you get the very bossy types who just wont let it go and by the time you tell them in no uncertain terms to back the feck off there is a scene and the night is ruined,then one smart as5e always says jeeze you really need a drink chill out

sorry rant over
Old 07-03-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I honestly had roughly this conversation with a waitress once:

It was one of those wings and beer restaurants, where we were sitting there for 3 hours or so because we were watching a basketball game. Obviously, since once you pound down about 25-50 wings, you're pretty much done eating, they want you to sit there and drink beer for the remaining two hours so the bill keeps inflating and their tip gets higher.

So anyways, the waitress is trying REAL hard to get me to drink, and finally I just tell her about this cheap friend of mine who NEVER tips for alcohol because he thinks its all overpriced, and let's be honest - it is, and therefore the "tip is built into the drink."

So I told the waitress that in my case, I felt like the "drink was built into the tip", and I basically told her that I'd calculate out how many beers I think I would have had and just add that to my tip. She was OK with me after that.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by streetpizza View Post
I honestly had roughly this conversation with a waitress once:

It was one of those wings and beer restaurants, where we were sitting there for 3 hours or so because we were watching a basketball game. Obviously, since once you pound down about 25-50 wings, you're pretty much done eating, they want you to sit there and drink beer for the remaining two hours so the bill keeps inflating and their tip gets higher.

So anyways, the waitress is trying REAL hard to get me to drink, and finally I just tell her about this cheap friend of mine who NEVER tips for alcohol because he thinks its all overpriced, and let's be honest - it is, and therefore the "tip is built into the drink."

So I told the waitress that in my case, I felt like the "drink was built into the tip", and I basically told her that I'd calculate out how many beers I think I would have had and just add that to my tip. She was OK with me after that.
cunning plan
Old 07-03-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jim, my man, you experienced what we professional alcoholics call "a trigger". It's something that sets off the strong desire to drink. We all have them, and they're different for each of us. They become weaker as time goes on, but as alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful you've got to be ever vigilant. (Damn, that's an impressive sentence. I may have to copyright it).

As for the idiots you hang out with who try to push booze on you, pick new idiots.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Jim, my man, you experienced what we professional alcoholics call "a trigger". It's something that sets off the strong desire to drink. We all have them, and they're different for each of us. They become weaker as time goes on, but as alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful you've got to be ever vigilant. (Damn, that's an impressive sentence. I may have to copyright it).

As for the idiots you hang out with who try to push booze on you, pick new idiots.

any chance of a link to those great quotes buddy

and are you available
Old 07-03-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Naw. I just make them up as I go along. And if you need a new idiot, I'm available. Just on the wrong side of the pond.