Notices

I releasped

Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I releasped

Well I did. And I hate that word "relapse" because to me that sounds like something that happed out of the blue. This relapse didn't happen out of the blue, I let it happen!

I was sober for the past 4 months but things started feeling bad for me, and instead of doing what I needed to do and asking for help. I tried to "man up" and do it on my own. And what happened?....I drank. And guess what?...I found out I'm still Alcoholic, there's still plenty of alcohol out there, and its still really easy to screw up your life if you want too!

I screwed up after 4 months sober. I admit it here...thats why I have been gone for the past 2 weeks. I just hope everyone here will allow me back, and help me through this stupidity I put myself through these past 2 weeks. I admit...I screwed up and I need to get myself back on track. I really don't know what happed to me these past 2 weeks, yet on the other hand...I do! I choose to mess up. So my first thing to do IMO is to tell everyone here I messed up and been drinking these past 2 weeks, and go from there I guess...

Steve
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old AA saying....to someone who returned to drinking again...
"Sit down...we don't shoot our wounded"

Steve I often drank again after my decision to quit.
Many of us do exactly that.

You only fail if you give up trying
Good to know your here with us...
Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol, kind'a hard crawlin' back after doing do well.....but I know this is the first thing I need to do to get back on track.

Appreciate the welcome back.

Steve
Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back I have relasped a few times I know it had to be hard to come here and admitt it. You just did Man Up.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mergirl

Welcome back. Did you learn anything you can use next time things start feeling bad?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I often drank again after my decision to quit.
Many of us do exactly that.
Exactly. I also drank again over & over despite swearing that I would never touch another drop.

In a way, I think these relapses help drive the fact home that we will never be able to drink like a normal person. It sort of beats that last bit of denial out of us.

How about looking at recovery options, getting some help?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That voice that says "I feel bad (for whatever reason) and deserve relief with alcohol" is a tough one to overcome. I had to suffer through countless "beat down" relapses before I finally figured out that the alcohol "relief" I was being promised was a bald faced lie. The abject misery, despair, and suffering got exponentially worse with each one. I tend to focus more now on avoiding the misery rather than obtaining the happiness.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WB Just don't pick up that first drink today

What support have you got? I couldn't stop or stay stopped on my own.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Did you learn anything you can use next time things start feeling bad?
Yeah I did......That's being a "man" doesn't mean I can't reach out for help!

wow guys, thanks so much already for the replies already, didn't expect this many replies so fast...I really do appreciate it though. Makes me really glad to be honest here on this site. Thanks so much!

Steve
Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Relapse IS a part of recovery. Nearly everyone does it so it's not unusual. Just dust yourself off and continue on.

tib
Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does this look and sound familiar?

Believe in yourself. Believe in your own potential for greatness. Believe that you can change the world. It is something that is within each of us.”

Welcome and Keep coming Back
Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
Well I did. And I hate that word "relapse" because to me that sounds like something that happed out of the blue. This relapse didn't happen out of the blue, I let it happen!

I was sober for the past 4 months but things started feeling bad for me, and instead of doing what I needed to do and asking for help. I tried to "man up" and do it on my own. And what happened?....I drank. And guess what?...I found out I'm still Alcoholic, there's still plenty of alcohol out there, and its still really easy to screw up your life if you want too!

I screwed up after 4 months sober. I admit it here...thats why I have been gone for the past 2 weeks. I just hope everyone here will allow me back, and help me through this stupidity I put myself through these past 2 weeks. I admit...I screwed up and I need to get myself back on track. I really don't know what happed to me these past 2 weeks, yet on the other hand...I do! I choose to mess up. So my first thing to do IMO is to tell everyone here I messed up and been drinking these past 2 weeks, and go from there I guess...

Steve
boy i'm so glad you posted this i'm only a month into my soberness and today i came across a bottle of jack daniels in my gf's cupboard unexpectedly and i just wanted to neck the whole bottle ... i realise today its never gona be over is it,the battle with the bottle ,its always gona be there relentless always stalking me trying to catch me on a weak moment

i like your even tanner pic are you into your mma ???? any thoughts on UFC 100 on sat ???
Old 07-03-2009, 02:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Does this look and sound familiar?

“Believe in yourself. Believe in your own potential for greatness. Believe that you can change the world. It is something that is within each of us.”
Yeah...wow. Very familiar man. Actually VERY familiar. I realy dont even know what to say...
Old 07-03-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hang in there daywalker.. i have "gone back out" many times.. the thing to remember is the progression of alcoholism.. it just keeps getting worse.. the only cure is ODAAT sobriety! i have been sober now since 1-20-07' find yourself a home group meeting!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My sponsor in AA (who is pretty staunch) said to me on my last relapse: "you didn't relapse or slip. You are an alcoholic. That's what alcoholics do". Shortly after that I got serious and took the steps. Now I don't want to drink any more and life is great.

A prominent Doctor in the field of alcohol and drug addiction once wrote this:

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks—drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over...........