Notices

I shut that *(&^$&* with some cookies!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I shut that *(&^$&* with some cookies!

Hey there,

Just checking in... I think I'm somewhere around day 35-40... and last night I had the most compelling craving for a BIIIIIG glass of wine. Just wanted to dive right in. I have found out that having your husband bake some cookies will effectively take your mind off your craving, but if I do this every day, I'll be 400 pounds.

Lesson learned... most any action will divert a craving... it's choosing the action instead of letting it fester that is the "work" part.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Sweet!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

LOL working out also seems to divert cravings.. so maybe trade off.. cookies/treadmill/cookies/treadmill

Good job.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's an ok trade-off for now. I would figure out your sobriety date and how many days you got exactly. Really, only today matters but I think knowing that firmly makes it less likely that you will have a new sobriety date in the future.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you stop drinking, your body stops getting all the sugar (carbohydrates) that it was getting from the digestion of alcohol. So we often have a craving for sweets. It'll go away after a while. As smacked said - cookies/treadmill/cookies/treadmill.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
When you stop drinking, your body stops getting all the sugar (carbohydrates) that it was getting from the digestion of alcohol. So we often have a craving for sweets. It'll go away after a while. As smacked said - cookies/treadmill/cookies/treadmill.
I'm sorry that I brought this up in an older thread (which is now bumped) without reading the others, first. You are absolutely correct.

It will go away. For me it was only a week or so, despite a slip-up. But the cravings for sweets were outrageous, despite having never having had a particularly sweet tooth, ever. Anyway, when I get massive cravings, I walk around the city, which is full of inivitations to drink but is also ripe with a unique beauty not known to most who never left Bourbon St. I also fill my player with tunes that remind me of times when I was not a half-dead alcoholic. The combo works and unlike cookies, it burns calories! (I hate emoticons but I'd love a Cookie Monster one, right now).

Point is, everyone knows what it's like to need something to fill a craving...without caving into the item in question.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Of course, you may just really like cookies! In which case, you should probably ignore my post as the run-on silliness that it is.

I challenge any of you to have a bad thing to say about cookies.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nola I took your challenge, and can come up with absolutely nothing to disparage cookies in any way. They're pretty much awesome.

As far as the sweets craving, yes I have been there and continue to be there. Milk shakes it seems have been the object of choice for me, as I've always been a pretty big fan of them but now I do seem to be drinking more of them.

I sometimes feel guilty for blowing my diet out of the water when I drink one, but I always come back to this same phrase: Putting a medium vanilla shake into my body is a Hell of a lot healthier than putting 10 beers into my body. I'll take that trade off any day.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KillaBri View Post
Nola I took your challenge, and can come up with absolutely nothing to disparage cookies in any way. They're pretty much awesome.

As far as the sweets craving, yes I have been there and continue to be there. Milk shakes it seems have been the object of choice for me, as I've always been a pretty big fan of them but now I do seem to be drinking more of them.

I sometimes feel guilty for blowing my diet out of the water when I drink one, but I always come back to this same phrase: Putting a medium vanilla shake into my body is a Hell of a lot healthier than putting 10 beers into my body. I'll take that trade off any day.
And milkshakes are actually healthy, compared to what many drunks refer to as food. Yes, I use the term, "drunk" instead of alcoholic. The stigma reminds me of who I am.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

LOL, thanks for all your comments... I too can't think of a single bad thing to say about cookies in general... and they are much better for me to put in my body rather than rum. I should be getting out and walking more anyhow...
Old 06-30-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You might want to try drinking orange juice. It'll fill that sugar void to a certain extent and it has the additional benefit (are you ready for this?) it's healthy!. I realize that this is an foreign concept to us alcoholics, but give it a try. Your body might rebel initially from ingesting something that's good for you but give it time.