Notices

Drinking Mouthwash=How Dangerous?

Old 07-04-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I went to the ER once after drinking steady for a few days. Yes, it was my experience that the doctors don't really take you serious unless you're missing a limb or bleeding profusely or have a bullet wound or something like that. They think "this person is coming to the ER with a hangover". In a way it's part inexperience with dealing with withdrawal, alcholism, and substance abuse on their part. Few people really understand how serious withdrawal can be. But of course, detox centers and rehab facilities have doctors who do understand how serious withdrawal can be. If I had to have DT's again, I'd go to one of those nice rehabs that look more like a vacation resort - ha!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I usually request 4mg of Ativan in an IV. I usually get it too because the docs don't want to get me riled up. Once in a while though I'll get a doctor/nurse who refuse to give me what I need. I even threaten to sue them. Call me a baby or whatever but I admit I'm very demanding when I need to detox.

tiburon
Old 07-05-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I usually request 4mg of Ativan in an IV. I usually get it too because the docs don't want to get me riled up. Once in a while though I'll get a doctor/nurse who refuse to give me what I need. I even threaten to sue them. Call me a baby or whatever but I admit I'm very demanding when I need to detox.

tiburon
When you get serious about living sober, let us know.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
When you get serious about living sober, let us know.
When you dispense some helpful advice let me know.

tiburon
Old 07-05-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's been lots and lots of helpful advice dispensed already, you choose to ignore it or give excuses why it won't work for you. I hope you get serious about getting and staying sober - and soon. Alcoholism will kill you if you let it.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

As has been said here many, many times...If you really want to get sober and live a sober life, you have to make it your number one priority in life and do whatever is necessary. Excuses just keep you stagnant. If nothing changes, nothing changes. You know all this. If you have a buttload of money, you can go to a fancy detox center and then on to a fancy rehab center. If you don't, you're going to have to do it the way most of us did. You're going to have to get down and dirty and do whatever is necessary to get better. No pain, no gain. Good luck to you.

If you aren't willing to do the hard work, no one can help you, Tib. It would be in your own best interests to do that work instead of being so defensive about your drinking.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Do you have something in mind? Sounds like you do, but none of us seems able to guess what that might be.

When you dispense some helpful advice let me know.

tiburon
Old 07-05-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hey everyone I'm still here and usually drunk as a skunk. I hit a new low. I know, I know the advice will be: see a doctor. It was 5AM & I couldn't buy booze so I bought a big bottle of Listerine mouthwash and chugged the whole thing. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm getting sharp pains on my right side & don't feel right at all. On a side note if I just drink mouthwash is that considered a relapse? The drunk I got off the mouthwash was very weird and didn't seem like a usually drunk. I got some meds to help me detox and will be doing it soon. I'm only 32 & I feel like alcohol is starting to physically kill me. Mentally it beat me down years ago. Just curious if anyone else resorted to mouthwash to get drunk. I feel like I'm watching a train wreck in slow motion and just can't stop it.

tiburon "10 years of Alcoholism and still going"
what exactly are you looking for, because many people here have allready stated whether or not they've drank mouthwash

**********I know, i know the advice will be: see a doctor***********

Last edited by crzylilmndfreak; 07-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

tiburon
You can't now sue anyone for not giving you the specific drug you want. Doctors or nurses can't just give you what you want. To walk into an ER and demand x amount of any narcotic, like saying 4 mg of ativan IV you will be labeled automatically as a drug seeker like you are. I saw my doctor when I was in withdrawal asked for help saying I wanted to stop and he gave me valium pills for a few days to make it through. If i just walked in and said I am an alcoholic looking to stop drinking can you give me 4 mg of ativan IV he would have said no. Sometimes you can't always get exactly what you want but you could get help. Good luck to you.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Tib, just an observation, but I sense that you are angry and I'm not sure if it's directed at posters who have tried to be helpful or not. I can relate to a feeling of defensiveness, as I've felt that way here too.

You must realize that this issue is HUGE and that Drs. are just trying to practice good medicine. They must think of liability issues. Likewise, I really think there are posters in this thread who care about your well being, as we all battle the same demon on a regular basis - some with more success than others and I don't put me in the success category.

Anyway, I know this whole getting sober business can be very and super hard.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Katie I can relate a lot to your posts so thank you for posting. I think u can understand where I'm coming from most times.

tiburon
Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Heathen

The right and ability to destroy one's own life is a luxury.

So many people in this world would give their own lives for the opportunities you might have in front of you.

It's unfortunate, but absolutely your right to live the way you want.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
The right and ability to destroy one's own life is a luxury.

So many people in this world would give their own lives for the opportunities you might have in front of you.

It's unfortunate, but absolutely your right to live the way you want.
What opportunities? You know my life from reading a message board? The right to destroy your life isn't a luxury but sometimes destiny.

tiburon
Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Tiburon,
I have not been a member of SR for that long, actually just joined last month. I love this site and come often, but never had I read a post that made me as angry as yours.
I'am a RN that has worked the ER and let me tell you a few things.
We get many drunk or stoned patients daily, or even hourly. Some are seeking honest help and advice and are compliant with there care, but most of these patients are you. They come in demanding, cursing, stinking, foulmouthed, peeing/pooping and expect us to clean up after them; thinking that we own them. They want this and they want that, "now." They scream "I'll sue you." (ahh, give me a f#%king break.) They want something to eat, to drink, they want free clothes, free medication, etc, the list goes on and on. Half the time you have to watch him or her, since they will try to steal whatever isn't locked or chained down.
You talk about paying your bill! Be honest here, do you? Do you have insurance or is it our tax dollars suppling your free insurance. (I have to pay my own insurance, it isn't free and is taken out of my check.)
All the ER's in town know you and yes, you are labeled and yes, it is well deserved, you earned it. I have a lot of compassion and I truely care, but patients like you, abuse the system, they drive our healthcare costs up, since most do not pay!
Ahhh, I feel better. And I meant every word, since you deserved it. Grown up, no one owes you a thing. Act your age, get a spine, stop you whining. Come up with a plan to get well or to die, the choose is yours.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let's all chill please
From our SR Policy Rules and Posting Forum

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
Thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Heathen

What opportunities? You know my life from reading a message board? The right to destroy your life isn't a luxury but sometimes destiny.

tiburon
Course I don't know, that's why I said "might". I know you have internet access and from as drunk as you've said you've been lately regardless of the mouthwash, you seem to have usual access to alcohol, and ultimately 'free' medical care. That in itself is plenty that a lot of people would be blessed to have.

My point is that you have the right to completely destroy anything that you *might* be fortunate enough to have, that other people may not. And that is sad to me.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

At least I get a real "professional" responding here. I want to thank you for your caring service to the alcoholic/addict in need.

tiburon
Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Tib, just curious. You've mentioned the bipolar thing. Are you taking your meds? Do you have someone who follows this part of your problem? I know how things go...at least for me...I drink, "forget" my meds, figure I don't want that much damage to my liver, I go downhill and on and on. It truly is a prescription for a nightmare.
I am glad you find my posts to be of some value. I'd really like to see you get on track (and me too - last week was a bad week for me but I must just keep plugging along). Katie
Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Tiburon has send me 2 private messages. It was for my eyes only. WOW. I guess he did not like what I had expressed from my own experience and after all, just my opinion. I responsed to 1, honestly after he insulted me, the other, I couldn't after he had states his fill, then placed me on ignore.

If I was out of line, and if anyone feels that I spoke out of line and/or intentional hurt someone, than I truely am so sorry. Please except my apology.

I love this site, it keeps me grounded and sober. I love the daily support, encouragement and love that all share with one another.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I come here for advice & support.
And you get advise and support. Time and time again.
Let's start over. Since you're not interested in whatever you get here as far as answers there's only one thing to do.
Tell us what you want us to say to you and we'll take it from there.