Notices

Drinking Mouthwash=How Dangerous?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
where the light is

Why should anyone care about me? I certainly don't give a crap about a single person in this world right now.
I've been reading your posts for quite some time and what often comes through is ego. You seem to separate yourself from others, like you are somehow different from everyone else. I was like this for years and for the life of me I could not put down the bottle.

We are typical alcoholics. Your alcoholism is not unique. I do care what happens to you. So do many people on SR and in the rooms of AA.

I remember that you recently had 6 months (?) of sobriety. So you know that it can be done. Surrender to your alcoholism, work an honest program & get the help you need (medical & otherwise).

Praying for you.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I went to the hospital & things to be okay except for my liver enzymes. They are very high. They refused to write me a prescription for Ativan which I need. The doctor also tried to scare me into sobriety but that has never & will never work. Why not give me the anti-anxiety meds that I need? I just don't get it. The nurse also treated me like crap but that's to be expected. I know when I was a kid my dream was always to be a alcoholic/drug addict. I also dreamed of become apart of AA. At least I have achieved my goals huh? Thanks everyone for reading.

tiburon
Old 06-29-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tib...I am so sad to see you doing this to yourself. I wish you peace and hope you find your way.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No one can scare me into sobrity or the AAers talking there stuff. What can they know anyway. I'm not like most alcoholics. Them doctors dont understand either I need my pills. Yeah I used to tell myself that. Hope one day you can get honest look back on this time and see the BS your pitching.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Focus

If this is true, I wonder if you are even trying... or just looking for another excuse. Anyway... it isn't easy for anyone and I am too short in to give you quitting advice since I am craving alcohol myself...ridiculously on day 3.

I was going to say though, that I don't think a hospital can deny you an emergency room visit...even if you are marked as a "drug seeker" at least from my understanding...at least state funded hospitals.

Im a dentist to be... so I have some news for you about mouthwash... FLUORIDE OVERDOSE... if you think you had an alcohol problem... I'll tell you, it is NOTHING compared to a Fluoride problem!

Look it up. I wouldn't advise it unless you love convulsing and diarrhea along with the potential...much worse. Good luck on sobering up...at least give it a shot.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sean......in the 2 1/2 years you have been here with us
you have had short periods of clean and sober time.

Members have shared all sorts of different ways they have quit.

Unless you get to the point of wanting
to stop nothing is going to work.

I often wonder if Richie in London
and Homer/Patrick are stilll alive.

I sincerely hope and pray this will be the time you quit.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Gosh, this thread just makes me want to cry. No, Tib, I haven't resorted to drinking mouth wash. I am with the others. PLEASE get some help and soon.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm curious as to how u got my real name. That is as scary as the DT's.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did that mate - I picked it up once on another thread.
Sorry if you prefer 'Tib' on here

D
Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

When you want to stop drinking more than you want to drink, then you'll find a way to stop. This stuff about wanting drugs to help you detox is a smokescreen. You're using the non-availability of Ativan and anti-anxiety drugs to justify drinking. Anxiety isn't going to kill you, alcohol will. Especially if your liver enzymes are off the chart. You've got a choice here. Live or die. Pick one.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
When you want to stop drinking more than you want to drink, then you'll find a way to stop. This stuff about wanting drugs to help you detox is a smokescreen. You're using the non-availability of Ativan and anti-anxiety drugs to justify drinking. Anxiety isn't going to kill you, alcohol will. Especially if your liver enzymes are off the chart. You've got a choice here. Live or die. Pick one.
If I may add one teeny thing, when I went into Detox I really needed the drugs, as my blood pressure was sky high and I could have had a stroke. At times the drugs really are required to safely detox. I've also weaned myself down several times off alcohol, which may have been just really stupid, but oh well. I guess if liver enzymes are that high, medical detox is most likely the best approach.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

I just Detoxed last week. The toughest thing was getting past the door.

Yes, it was worth it!!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi there. Hope you'll decide to get help. I'm fairly new to all this, but I'll throw in what I've learned so far.

The choice to live sober for me, at least, has been hard work and I'm having to look at things I don't want to. It's uncomfortable, it's challenging, and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

To really, really appreciate life's gifts(no matter how small), you really have to go through hell, which I'm going to go ahead and assume everyone here has.

I hope you decide you've seen enough of the personal hell that you have to live though every day. It WILL get better, but you have to WORK. God helps those who help themselves. How many favors has alcohol done for you lately?

Sending well wishes and lots of love your way.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I obviously need more than AA and Sober Recovery offers. I have a real and diagnosed (many times) mental disorder that prevents me from working the program. Call it an excuse, a cop out ect... I 've heard it all before. Why do I find a need to separate myself from typical alcoholics? This is why & I have no doubts that it makes it harder for me to stay sober. Have any of you stayed up for days thinking of ways to get rich with a "plan"? How about wandering the city with a police scanner and badge ready to bust drug dealers? I have done these things sober while in a complete manic state. As sever as Alcoholism is I wouldn't wish bi-polar/severe depression on my worst enemy. When you combine the two diseases God help you because no and I mean no one else can help. Now give me the "tough AA" responses that I so desperately need and want.

tiburon
Old 07-01-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

((((tib)))) You have a rough path to walk with the bi polar. Please make sure you take your meds and are honest with your doctors.

Love,

Lenina
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I obviously need more than AA and Sober Recovery offers. I have a real and diagnosed (many times) mental disorder that prevents me from working the program. Call it an excuse, a cop out ect... I 've heard it all before. Why do I find a need to separate myself from typical alcoholics? This is why & I have no doubts that it makes it harder for me to stay sober. Have any of you stayed up for days thinking of ways to get rich with a "plan"? How about wandering the city with a police scanner and badge ready to bust drug dealers? I have done these things sober while in a complete manic state. As sever as Alcoholism is I wouldn't wish bi-polar/severe depression on my worst enemy. When you combine the two diseases God help you because no and I mean no one else can help. Now give me the "tough AA" responses that I so desperately need and want.

tiburon
Yes, bipolar. I have that too, except I am a bipolar depressive. Trust me, I do understand how hard it is to deal with. I have had mixed states - mania and depression together. I spent 15 hours on Ebay per day for weeks and $10K on costume jewelry and other jewelry while sleeping on a mattress with no sheets. I thought I'd start a treatment revolution. I thought I'd have a vintage shop in the mountains by a lake and sell the jewelry. Hell, I still buy the jewelry under certain conditions. I've had one serious hallucination with the police and heard voices on a couple of occasions. I hear ya. I also understand that tough AA responses don't work. Do you have a psychiatrist to help you through this? Do you take meds?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
where the light is

You are probably right, that you need more than AA & SR.

I can't speak from personal experience but my very close friend had severe depression/anxiety disorders & drinking problems. With the right combination of meds and psychiatric help (no AA or SR), he now lives a very good life. He has his off-days but he has his family & friends to lean on.

Do what you need to do. Seriously.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
You are probably right, that you need more than AA & SR.

I can't speak from personal experience but my very close friend had severe depression/anxiety disorders & drinking problems. With the right combination of meds and psychiatric help (no AA or SR), he now lives a very good life. He has his off-days but he has his family & friends to lean on.

Do what you need to do. Seriously.
Yes, if I may interject, bipolar is a whole different deal - at least in my experience. It's worse than unipolar depression, in that the lows are lower. Also, the manias are severely disruptive to life and may have legal consequences. I can't speak for Tib. I have a cousin who is of the manic variety and alcoholic and was charged with a felony for stabbing her sister's car while in a mania. I am not saying Tib's experience is like this at all - just sharing my experience. This is why it is super important that there is education out there and that people realize that dual diagnosis is especially hard and that it's not a matter of people making up excuses or not wanting to get well.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

As sever as Alcoholism is I wouldn't wish bi-polar/severe depression on my worst enemy. When you combine the two diseases God help you because no and I mean no one else can help
Tib, I feel your pain. My brother has an identical diagnosis to yours and he is totally unable so far to break the drinking cycle. I can't honestly say what he has tried besides 30 days inpatient rehab last year (no results) and AA ( I know he went to meetings b/c I took him). Other than that, I don't believe anything he says unless I've seen it with my own eyes.

If you don't mind, I will put you on my prayer list next to him...I know you are suffering after watching my brother. If you come up with anything that helps, but sure to let us know please.

In the meantime, God bless you and keep searching for an answer.

Jomey
Old 07-02-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

About 1/3 of my AA home group take various meds
for their diagnosed Bi-Polar conditions. Many have
years of recovery from alcoholism...not their B.P.

This link is in our sticky on Programs

Questions and Answers about DRA

You can also find threads about Bi-Polar
if you do a Forum Search.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by CarolD; 07-02-2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added Link