Notices

I slipped, feel so ashamed

Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chip View Post
Hi Clay,
I just want to chime in here and give you some support. It's not uncommon to have some set backs. It is important to keep trying.

Most people on this forum have very similar experiences. Please don't give up on yourself. You are not alone. In early recovery, many of us find these experiences are valuable learing opportuinites. These things hurt, but pain can be a great motivator.

Alcoholism is a disease. You are suffering from a disease, and you are not a bad person. Now that you know your weakness, what can you do to prevent slips from happening in the future? What did you learn from this experience?

Only you can answer this quesiton: Are you an alcoholic? If you are, then you can be sure that there is hope. This might sound weird, but acceptance seems to be the first step in most recovery programs. Once a person accepts powerlessness, he/she might be able to move forward into recovery.

For me, once I hit my "bottom", the true nature of my malady became apparent to me. It was then that I became willing to change. Fear and pain drove me to my knees. Once I accepted the fact that I cannot drink like a normal person, and alcohol is poison to me....I became willing to change. What did I have to change to get and stay sober? Everything. I had to change everything.

Change can be good. If it's time for a change in your life, we are here to support you. If not, keep coming back. We are here to support you through your stuggle.

I hope you can find some strength and hope today.
chip
I hit bottom several times but just didn't recognize it at the time. I think my most recent rock bottom was when I got drunk when I was on a lesser medication and felt incredibly suicidal the next day partly due to thinking I was going to get fired (I didn't), to the point where I was crying, and I rarely cry. That's when I stopped drinking, but picked up the bottle again and posted here. I of course drank after that, but haven't drank since June 27.

I go by the clinical definition of an alcoholic which is a person who can't stop drinking despite the negative consequences. In that sense, I am an alcoholic. In the popular definition of a drunk or alcoholic--someone who drinks first thing in the morning and stays lit throughout the day--no I have never been that person. But when I did drink, it was usually always to get drunk and escape.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

In the popular definition of a drunk or alcoholic--someone who drinks first thing in the morning and stays lit throughout the day--no I have never been that person.
FWIW, in my experience, 90% of the people in AA do not fit this "popular" definition.