Notices

Digging up old memories

Old 06-27-2009, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Digging up old memories

I was just hanging out with a dude that I've been friends with since 8th grade. We are now 26. He started bringing up old memories of us hanging out at bars getting smashed and all other stupid stuff we did when we were younger. Wow they just sound awful now.

In my late teens early 20's I mean it's the stuff you talk about. The stupid little things you did when you were drunk that come with a certain pride. To say that you really did that. You're crazy and funny or cool or whatever.

Just him bringing all that up again. It just compounded and compounded all the dumb stuff I did. I mean I used to take pride in it for sure. With my sober head now and realizing the path I went down, god that was truely pathetic. I mean he doesn't truely know where I am at the moment and he still relishes in the past about that stuff but for me now its just embarrassing.

He also started bringing it up around people we happened to be around at the time. I was just trying my best to get him to drop it and move on without looking too angry about it. He just doesn't know.

It's a whole other world to look at sober with the reflections of the past that you have to face and confront in order to move forward.

Man I've done some dumb stuff. All you gotta ask is, Has anything you did in your past when you were drunk enhanced or bettered your life into what it is today?
Old 06-27-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

By finding your new healthy sober life....
you have grown up more than he has.

I've found that not all friendships last forever.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety!!

Yeah I can think of one thing that being drunk enhanced. After getting sober I became capable of helping other alcoholics. Other than that it pretty much destroyed my life.

I don't think I have met an alcoholic yet that didn't have things in the past they regretted. The longer we drank alcoholically the longer the list for most people.

For me I to deal with these things of the past and learn to let them go. I did this after being sober for a while when I was ready and prepared.

Right now I think that you should be very proud of the fact that you are sober today.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

Yes, some of the stuff I did when I was drunk was pathetic. When bothered me the most is the hurt I caused other people but I can't change the past. I have to move on.

I have really benefited from working the 12 steps (in part, it involves learning to accept/forgive myself & making amends to others for my past mistakes). Also, patience - time does heal.

Has anything you did in your past when you were drunk enhanced or bettered your life into what it is today?
I did have some good times with alcohol. I met people I am still friends with. I also met my wife when I was drinking (together 18 years! ).

But at the end, my drinking was nothing but misery - hurting others & myself. And the worst things I did in my life were done while drunk.

But I guess as an alcoholic it was something I had to go through. And it did get me to the point where I had finally suffered enough to seek a better life. And life is good!

People still bring up those old drinking stories & now I can laugh with them - some of it is kind of funny & I am learning to laugh at myself (what a train-wreck my drinking career was).