Notices

Back on the wagon

Old 04-04-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back on the wagon

Let me just preface this by saying AA is a great program. However, as the book says, it doesn't help everyone which is why AA "has no monopoly on recovery".

I would be one that it hasn't worked for despite working the steps and having sponsors.

I've tried different meetings and been in the "rooms" since 2002.

It is time to try other methods because the important thing is getting sober, not how.

I've been going to Refuge Recovery and SMART recovery meetings and find that they are more helpful for me.

I have no problems with the steps and most of the advice. I just don't understand why one should read the basic text on a daily basis. Seems there are other worthy books to read instead of rehashing the same info... As Bill Sees It, Just for Today for example. Even non-AA literature helps me as it presents new info.

Perhaps I don't understand. How much of the basic text are they suggesting to be read a day? A page? A chapter? I guess a page wouldn't take up too much time but there are other recovery tasks in my day that I can't spend the entire day reading.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Rebel Jedi

I'm not in AA but I really encourage you to do whatever you think will help keep you in recovery.

I hope others can help- - never heard the reading the basic text over and over thing before.

D
Old 04-04-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey Rebel,
since you've figured out the AA way is not for you but SMART and Refuge Recovery are more to your way of thinking, not much point dissecting the AA way then...seems mote useful thento concentrate on the tools thoseorganizations have to offer.
also, if you haven't already, check out the Secular Forums farther down the list...lots of options.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good advice, fini. I think daily reading of sobriety literature is valuable. I don't have anything against the AA books.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It all really boils down to two words... "don't drink."
Old 04-04-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by puddlejumper70 View Post
It all really boils down to two words... "don't drink."

No, it doesn't. What you are referring to is being a "dry drunk", not a recovering alcoholic.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, what I mean is that AA, just like any other program, is a means to an end... which is to not drink.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

No, what I mean is that AA, just like any other program, is a means to an end... which is to not drink.
It has been a means to a much better life for me, a side benefit of which is I no longer need to drink. It is much more than just not drinking.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
It is much more than just not drinking.
I understand that, I'm working the program in earnest as we speak. That said, I dry drunked it for years and made some fairly noteworthy accomplishments, both physically, and emotionally, during that time.

I screwed up fairly recently and decided to start genuinely working the recovery circuit. I've found it to be a positive experience thus far.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are many paths to the same goal. While AA is the biggest name, they are not the only game in town. If you find other outlets to be more helpful, then by all means go for it.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am an AA goer and the program changes for me as I evolve. I personally agree with you Rebeljedi that non approved literature can be helpful. I am open to read any and all recovery programs. I like that AA is structured with the goal to not only get you sober (dry) but to attain sobriety (happy, joyous, free). The best aspect I learned from AA is the suggestion to work with others. Volunteering and helping others has given me more than I can express.

I hope that you find the perfect program for you RJ. It might be a combination of of different programs.

Good luck and many prayers
Old 04-04-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
I am an AA goer and the program changes for me as I evolve. I personally agree with you Rebeljedi that non approved literature can be helpful. I am open to read any and all recovery programs. I like that AA is structured with the goal to not only get you sober (dry) but to attain sobriety (happy, joyous, free). The best aspect I learned from AA is the suggestion to work with others. Volunteering and helping others has given me more than I can express.

I hope that you find the perfect program for you RJ. It might be a combination of of different programs.

Good luck and many prayers
I too find a balance in a mixture of different approaches. I like to listen to AA meetings and other peoples ESH and also like to use the AVRT rational approach when I am by myself. Its weird because they sort of contradict each other but its whats working for me and I think thats what the main idea is to find something that helps you not drink and have a better quality of life. But what do I know?
Old 04-05-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As a little old lady in AA once said, dance with the one who brung you.

For me, that has been AA.

And it has been for a long time now.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RebelJedi View Post
Let me just preface this by saying AA is a great program. However, as the book says, it doesn't help everyone which is why AA "has no monopoly on recovery".

I would be one that it hasn't worked for despite working the steps and having sponsors.

I've tried different meetings and been in the "rooms" since 2002.

It is time to try other methods because the important thing is getting sober, not how.

I've been going to Refuge Recovery and SMART recovery meetings and find that they are more helpful for me.

I have no problems with the steps and most of the advice. I just don't understand why one should read the basic text on a daily basis. Seems there are other worthy books to read instead of rehashing the same info... As Bill Sees It, Just for Today for example. Even non-AA literature helps me as it presents new info.

Perhaps I don't understand. How much of the basic text are they suggesting to be read a day? A page? A chapter? I guess a page wouldn't take up too much time but there are other recovery tasks in my day that I can't spend the entire day reading.
There is a secular section here on SR with lots of good information on alternatives to AA that you might find useful to your journey. There are discussions about SMART and Refuge Recovery. Come join us!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I understand that, I'm working the program in earnest as we speak. That said, I dry drunked it for years and made some fairly noteworthy accomplishments, both physically, and emotionally, during that time.

I screwed up fairly recently and decided to start genuinely working the recovery circuit. I've found it to be a positive experience thus far.
Yeah, same here with the dry drunk and accomplishments. Personally, had I known how to live sober, happily, I probably wouldn't have relapsed.

To me, it's like when people say, "Keep the plug in the jug." Good advice but that's only part of it. I kept the plug in the jug and never worked on the triggers that lead me to drinking.