Notices

I had forgotten the power of exercising

Old 06-19-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I had forgotten the power of exercising

-Things are alright with me. Found a new sponsor, did a 4 week "back to the basics program" that goes through the steps, and found a "There's a solution" meeting which is my new home meeting.-

I just love the way exercising makes me feel when I am done at the gym. I have so much more energy in all aspects of life, a better diet, and simply look and feel better already. And going to the gym is something I have to do each day, so that takes over a little bit of the cravings and stinking thinkin. I feel like a different person! And it feels great.

But it all takes time. And be yourself, be proud of who you are. We really only have one go around at this, why trounce around not being happy and enjoying today for what it is.

Last edited by MagicMan08; 06-19-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: wow was that message botched before i edited it.... &X
Old 06-19-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are doing so well.....
Keep on moving forward.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
where the light is

100% agree!

I exercise everyday (gym, mountain biking). I always feel awesome after. I really believe that I have to take care of myself physically, spiritually, and mentally. I love it when I get to hit the gym & then a meeting afterwards.

Sounds basic but exercise, proper rest, and eating better can have such a major impact on quality of life!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Magic Man. I need that reminder to get myself back to some form of regular exercise. I remember how relaxed and focused I was when I had a regular routine. I used to run a 5K at lunch and my afternoons at work so productive when I did that. I was so calm and focused and just felt great. Exercise is just so good for our mental health!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Every time I have sobered up I have always increased exercise. Except for this time. This time I'm 49 years old. I am almost 90 days sober, and didn't get around to more exercise till 3 or 4 weeks ago. I am just now starting to really ramp it up. But I have to be careful. It's a double edge sword. An 18 mile bike ride on a 90 degree day get's me thinking. ( a cold beer sounds sooo good)
I gotta be careful
Old 06-21-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post
-Things are alright with me. Found a new sponsor, did a 4 week "back to the basics program" that goes through the steps, and found a "There's a solution" meeting which is my new home meeting.-

I just love the way exercising makes me feel when I am done at the gym. I have so much more energy in all aspects of life, a better diet, and simply look and feel better already. And going to the gym is something I have to do each day, so that takes over a little bit of the cravings and stinking thinkin. I feel like a different person! And it feels great.

But it all takes time. And be yourself, be proud of who you are. We really only have one go around at this, why trounce around not being happy and enjoying today for what it is.
I agree MagicMan!!! I joined the gym last weekend and feel like a new person too, and I've only had 4 workouts so far. I have a gym grade elliptical cross trainer at home I just started yesterday, but the gym is great for weights, bikes and other stuff. I have to ease back into this very slowly as I am so out of shape!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post

You have simply confirmed what i usually advocate. Anyone can deal with alcohol by getting involved in activities that consume all your attention and time. This takes you away from anything that can make you drink. Please continue your vist to the gym.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Certainly. Exercise should be in everyone's plan. The best is when you haven't worked out in awhile, and you work out for the first time, you feel like a million bucks. I've always worked out relatively regularly, but there was a time where I didn't for a year or so. Then I did one day, and might have as well been given some sort of drug as good as I felt, but it was all natural, so it was even better than any drug. Hmm. Think I'll work out today.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Anyone can deal with alcohol by getting involved in activities that consume all your attention and time.
I work out every morning and I think it's a great benefit to any person in recovery. No arguments there. Same goes for finding some activities to keep busy in early sobriety. Idle time was not my friend in those days. But the idea that anyone can deal with alcohol by getting involved in activities that consume all your attention and time is being disproved by thousands of alcoholics every day.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would love to work out in the morning, but lately I haven't been waking up early enough, so I excercise in the evening. It feels good, but keeps me up later, since im so pumped up. But excercise is good at anytime, gives you a lil boost in mood, burns calories and speeds up your metaoblism, so you'll feel better overall.

Im trying to lose like 8 pounds, but also gain muscle, so lose 8 punds overal, then gain like 4 more in muscles. Im not really doing anough though. i use my sprint master machine, then do push ups/ situps/ reverse crunches, leg raises, and calf raises. It's a decent work out, but definitely not strenuous. I've worked out harder. But right now, i just want to lose some fat and gain a little bit of muscle.

At 5' 9" 173 pounds, Im trying to feel comfortable with how i look. i really don't look bad, just have a gut.