Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken antabuse and started drinking again, what happened?

Notices

Has anyone taken antabuse and started drinking again, what happened?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The only reason I know for sure that I am on the real thing and not on a placebo is the fact that at about the 14th day of taking it, I decided to use a facial cleanser that I hadn't used for a long time. I didn't know it had alcohol in it, but I soon found out, as my face felt like it was going to burn up. I've retired that skin care regimen until I'm secure enough in my sobriety to get off the antabuse. I guess it is working after all, and even that small experience makes me sure I never want to know what would happen if I knowingly decide to ingest alcohol.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am taking it right now (court ordered) but I wouldn't dare drink on it. I wouldn't drink anyway as I feel committed to sobriety at this point in my life, but I'm scared enough of what it might do to me without drinking!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

5 day without antabuse...

Originally Posted by MrsDriver702 View Post
After taking the antabuse was just 4/5days after the pill enough time to have a drink without getting sick still?
I haven't taken my antabuse for 5 days. Seriously slowly sipping a glass of half half wine water. Scared to death of course as playing Russian roulette as someone else called it. Will have to keep you posted and update. I do know I'm a stupid idiot though to stop taking it at all. D'oh! Leads to one road and one road only!!!! Regretting it already and know it's NOT the answer.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PositiveThinkin View Post
I haven't taken my antabuse for 5 days. Seriously slowly sipping a glass of half half wine water. Scared to death of course as playing Russian roulette as someone else called it. Will have to keep you posted and update. I do know I'm a stupid idiot though to stop taking it at all. D'oh! Leads to one road and one road only!!!! Regretting it already and know it's NOT the answer.
Ok, I can give you the answer I was looking for hours ago. Woah! Trust me, Don’t even bother and learn from my experience. Started with tiny sips. Instantly noticed wind as in I burped. Ok, can live with that and perhaps it wasn’t drink causing it, so carried on. I’m half a bottle of wine in after stopping my Antabuse 5 days ago. Outcome… Spent the whole time at first racking my brain why I was even having a drink, I don’t care what bad news you’ve had or curve ball life has thrown you. It’s not worth it, Don’t pick up!
Feeling dizzy! Feeling sick to my stomach! Feeling stupid for going there! Feeling weak, to the knees literally and in brain, for giving in. Sorry to be crude here, but back to instant diarrhea after thinking I would miss it and that Antabuse had caused serious constipation. Guess what, I don’t miss it. I poured another one and whilst doing so could hardly stand. Left it and decided to make coffee and I ain’t touching no more wine. I can only hope and pray now I don’t get sicker and have stopped and pulled it back in time. Wakeupcall.com Just don’t drink! I learn the true meaning now I hope that it doesn’t fix things. Lesson learnt. Not going there and hope I haven’t overstepped the mark and be really ill and can pull it back. Coffee Coffee Coffee is the answer.

Antabuse is the answer. I want to take my antabuse again now, but have to wait 24 hours before I can to be safe. Antabuse
That was enough of a scare to keep me clean. Thank you.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't be afraid to seek medical attention if you need it PT.

D
Old 08-09-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I had 74 days sober on antabuse. Didn't take it every day because I was doing so much better and decided that enough of it would still be in my system even if I only took it a couple times a week. Don't like the fact that all meds have some side effects so I figured I'd minimize them by not taking so much of it but still having it in my system. Hadn't taken any in 7 or 8 days and I thought I was all set, that I was strong enough to do it on my own. Then I had a terrible weekend, crying all weekend, etc. No real concrete reason, just a lot of little things and the fact that I have major depressive disorder and am not on any meds right now. Drank a little bit and didn't notice anything except maybe a slight flushing in my face. Drank the next 2 days, wallowing in my depression and berating myself for the fact that I had 74 days and threw it all away. Took a day off from work for a mental health day. The good news is that I realized that the wine didn't help anything and even made me feel worse, and that as soon as I could I got right back on the antabuse and will continue to take it every day for awhile and then at least every other day, probably for the rest of my life if I have to. It wasn't worth it and I've learned my lesson.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I took it everyday for 3 months and then stopped it, ostensibly because I thought it was affecting my libido, but really because I was planning to drink again. Antabuse does nothing for cravings, after all. I waited 10 days and had no ill effects from drinking. Not due to Antabuse anyway. However, there were all the usual ill effects from drinking poison. A month and a half later, I quit drinking again. I take Antabuse a couple times a week now to keep it in my system just in case. I have never drank while taking it and have no desire whatsoever to test it out.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Smile antabuse/disulfiram

This daily medication ie: antabuse is for me the way forward. Nothing else has worked, and at I have nearly died as a result of drinking very heavily over many years. I have my life and my family back, have dealt with bereavement, and suicidal feelings... I am indeed living proof antabuse works. Don't mess with it tho) and it could work for you too.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jacknscoob View Post

I am not looking for medical advice but asking if anyone has had a bad experience on it or knows anyone who has (ie taking the drug whilst drinking)
saw one of my close friends drink on it years back
he turned real red and fell flat on his face
it was no joke
then he was rushed to the hospital

M-Bob
Old 08-21-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I believe it makes you hugely sick, even if a drop of alcohol is put into the system.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Have a friend who drank on it with no illness- another who nursed the first couple and then was ok. Antabuse did not help either person quit drinking but I have seen on this forum some that it has--but they were all dead serious about quitting. GetMeOut is a success (we quit on/about the same day)! Best wishes on giving up the high cost of low living.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

try Campral instead!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

My understanding is that Campral helps reduce the cravings. That wouldn't work for me, because I don't always have physical cravings, I just like to drink. Antabuse means you can't drink under any circumstances unless you want to be deathly ill. Antabuse has been a godsend for me. Wish I had gotten it a lot sooner.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I am currently drinking vodka while taking Antabuse.

I took my last 500mg Atabuse about 51 hours ago after taking it daily for months. I started drinking Vodka about 25 mins ago and i feel very mild effects (hot sunburn feeling) but no nausea or heart palpatations. Last time i drank i only waited a day and boy is there a huge difference. I was puking then with a heart rate of 200bpm. Lasted 8 hours. We'll see how i feel in another 15 mins, but i think im in the clear. Just as long as i can breathe and my heart doesnt race im fine.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi masterof88

You could always put the vodka down?
This is a great community if you're looking for help to quit.

I don't have to rehash how dangerous this is...if you do get sick later, it might be a good idea to go see someone - ER etc.

D
Old 12-16-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Omnivore

I see a lot of posts here say things to the effect of, why would a doc prescribe something to an alcoholic that could kill him/her if they drink on it. Well there is one thing sure to kill an alcoholic even without Antabuse, that is continuing to drink. So yah, like any drug, Antabuse has some bad side effects when not used as directed. Maybe even death in extreme cases. But continuing to drink is worse.

I find Antabuse takes away the constant thoughts about drinking. I used to be constantly thinking, maybe now I can drink. Ok, no not now, but then soon, just one drink, now. Or now. How about now? Then, yes, now is a good time for a drink! And just like that we are off to the races.

On Antabuse those thoughts are quickly shut down. Now the thoughts are, maybe I can drink a week from now. Ah, no, never mind. Take the pill and forget about it. It is just not that attractive of an idea to have a drink a week from now. The thoughts get less and less frequent the longer I am on it.

Some say it is a crutch. I've said that myself. I'm not too proud to use a crutch to help me quit drinking. I'd use a wheel chair if I thought that would help me quit.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Just the sheer thought of the potential danger to ones self to take an unnecessary deterrent which does nothing to curb the desire to imbibe scared me away. It's only function being to cause bodily harm if you mix it with alcohol sounds like roulette to me. I never did understand the appeal as I always knew it would never work at least for me. Just an accident waiting to happen and needlessly putting myself in harm's way, no thank you.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I find Antabuse takes away the constant thoughts about drinking.

walk,
this has always fascinated me, as that is not its medical function, so to speak.

and i wonder if it isn't the knowledge that you've taken it, the knowledge that you "can't" drink which relieves you of the constant presence of drinking thoughts?
in which case the Antabuse "works" exactly like my knowledge that i'm a drunk. which stopped any thought of drinking in its track.

just something i've wondered about for a long time.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Just the sheer thought of the potential danger to ones self to take an unnecessary deterrent
If you can quit without Antabuse, then yes, it is unnecessary. I believe strongly that no one should take any drugs that they do not need. So Sudz, did you quit?

My hat goes off to those that can quit without the crutch of Antabuse. I wish I were that strong. I'm not. I need this crutch. I've tried to do it without it and failed consistently. So for me it is far from unnecessary, it is crucial.

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by fini View Post
I find Antabuse takes away the constant thoughts about drinking.

walk,
this has always fascinated me, as that is not its medical function, so to speak.

and i wonder if it isn't the knowledge that you've taken it, the knowledge that you "can't" drink which relieves you of the constant presence of drinking thoughts?
in which case the Antabuse "works" exactly like my knowledge that i'm a drunk. which stopped any thought of drinking in its track.

just something i've wondered about for a long time.
Yes, that is it Fini. For those, like you, who fear just drinking as much as I fear drinking on Antabuse, well then it works the same. I just happen to be in need of a fear booster. I don't have enough fear of drinking without the Rx.

It also has a parallel with "higher power" thinking. I can rely upon my Rx like others rely upon their higher power. It saves me. Protects me. With the help of my Rx I can do this! Without it I am weak and helpless in the face of temptation.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

just to clarify: i'm not in fear.
just reality.