Notices

I have a problem...

Old 06-14-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a problem...

it's time to quit drinking. things have gotten unmanageable. my physical health is not well either. i have been vomiting on and off for days, vomiting blood, etc...i called my primary care and she said get to the ER stat because i could be in trouble.

well, i know walking in there that i probably won't get treated too well but...it's a sunday and i am out of options in this state. i have some outpatient things set up for tomorrow. looking at a longer term care starting on june 24.

so, yeah, the doc treated me like crap, gave me an IV of fluids and said that withdrawls symptoms won't be so bad?!?!?! i have heard otherwise, read otherwise, and was told otherwise by my primary care doc...i feel like i am dying. and it's incredibly challenging not have a drink or 5 to feel better.

i was hospitalized for a kidney issue a few months ago and he didn't even care about that and said that i should "lay off the sauce for a couple days"

i was like...doc, i am trying to quit for good. i need help. please. what can i do? and he dismissed it quickly.

so...i am "toughing it out" and hoping for the best. i found a meeting in my area tonight. i have never been before, but i am open minded to it. i joined here a year and a half ago while i quit an oxy habit cold turkey. that sucked but i did it. alcohol took it's place. i have always drank, but it's bad lately. really bad, i get sick often, puke blood, hurt like hell, etc...i'm tired. i don't want this anymore.

thanks for letting me vent
Old 06-14-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry things are so bad!

About the doc thing, i got no sense out of a doctor until i went to a temporary one who had been out of med school just a couple of years and must have been late twenties. He explained that alcoholism and addicition only used to be a very small part of the education required to get their certificate, nowadays it is given more importance. I requested to have him as my permanent doctor and was relieved not to get prescribed leeches everytime i got a virus too!

Hope things get better for you!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Bear19
I am not one to usually say go to the ER, but in your case. You better get to the emergency room. Your condition might not have anything to do with drinking.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i went to the ER. and was frowned upon and let go quite quickly.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you live in an area with multiple hospitals, you could try a different ER. Maybe the blood is from a stomach ulcer? Sorry things are rough right now. Best wishes in your recovery and your health.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Go to another ER.....a teaching hospital would be the best place
as those doctors know about de toxing.....that's my experience.

Throwing up blood is a huge red flag.
I did that too...and needed transfusions
and was admitted quickly to ICU for several days.

Sorry to see you were not getting any assistance.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Go to another ER.....a teaching hospital would be the best place
as those doctors know about de toxing.....that's my experience.

Throwing up blood is a huge red flag.
I did that too...and needed transfusions
and was admitted quickly to ICU for several days.

Sorry to see you were not getting any assistance.

thank you. what's a teaching hospital?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One attached to a University
or where doctors are trained.

You could ask for recommendations
in that AA meeting too.
Members there will have local resources.

Do you feel well enough to go to either?
Are you alone?

Last edited by CarolD; 06-14-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i am alone at the moment, but i won't be all night

i am not well enough to go to a meeting...but i have a list of em' in the area this week. i will go tomorrow. thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking back here.....

Try and rest....drink a lot of water
I'm glad you won't be alone later.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't believe they let you out of the hospital so fast. When I was throwing up blood they kept me and ran tests. I had no insurance but they still treated me. It was found I had two bleeding ulcers and drinking sure played a big part. I ended up detoxing in the hospital (that time) and am on Prilosec for life. You really need to go to a different hospital. You can internally bleed to death. It's some serious stuff.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Bear,

I've been where you are. Puking and crapping blood on a daily basis. I recovered by taking AA's 12 steps and my life today bears little resemblence to my former life.

Originally Posted by Bear19 View Post
i get sick often, puke blood, hurt like hell, etc...i'm tired. i don't want this anymore.
Originally Posted by Bear19 View Post
...i feel like i am dying. and it's incredibly challenging not have a drink or 5 to feel better.
Man, you just can't buy an experience this good to convince you of the insanity of alcoholism.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bear....just checking back with you.
I certainly hope you did find medical assistance
and stopped the bleeding.

first...take care of yourself physically
then please do use that meeting list.

I too follow the 12 Steps of AA
and it's an awesome adventure.

All my best as you begin to heal
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm sorry those Drs are treating you like that. I told my PCP how much I was drinking and he told me I'd have long term health problems if I didn't quit. I asked him if he gets angry when people drink like me and he said no, just sad. Then again, my friend went to the ER here after a drinking binge and both the nurse and Dr. looked at him like he had three heads. Not real understanding. Hopefully, you can come across a Dr. who understands all of this more.

In the meantime, hang in there and take care of you.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Thanks for posting this painful reminder for the people that, haven't gotten to the health problems of drinking yet.

God speed on your health getting better
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hello there.like carol id and keithj i too am recovering with the 12 steps of AA.however apart from that i have a story for you,,this is a very scary story and i dont mean to alarm you but just point out how serious your condition can be.56 yr old alcoholic stopped drinking on his own,suffered really bad stomach and went to the doctor,said it was just withdrawls and it would pass.the alcoholic hadnt had anything to drink for about 3 weeks,,he was rushed into hospital and by the time his daughters got there he had suffered a burst stomach ulcer which caused internal bleeding (4 pints in his stomach) and then caused a massive heart attack which killed him.that was my dad 10 yrs ago.i hope this helps other folk to get help that they may really need too.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thank you all, i appreciate the support, i really do.

i made through the night ok, work, and i'm back home.

i feel not well, but the vomiting subsided. i did speak to my pcp fortunately. she was so much better than the ER. i am scheduled to get some tests done later in the week...endoscopy (sp?) etc...

she said she could provide me with meds if i truly needed but i told her i could hold off, i believe.

as for meetings? yeah, it's time. i'm trying to muster up the strength physically to go. mentally i know i need it.

i guess i always knew this day would appear and now it's here.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Excellent plan Bear

i guess i always knew this day would appear and now it's here.
This can be the wiseat move you make....
Old 06-15-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

great news bear.i drank alcoholicaly for 20 yrs! was hopeless and could not stop on my own.went to AA,got a sponsor and im working the 12 steps.my life and head have changed dramatically in a very short time! i wish you well,please keep us posted.PS,,,soberecovery is a great tool in recovery,i have made many friends here and always lots of great stuff to read.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bear...Congrats on your decision to stop the insanity...I'm a big believer in doing whatever it takes, aa or not the ball is in your court. Keep posting and best of luck!