Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What Has Turned Me Off From Addiction Forums in the past

Notices

What Has Turned Me Off From Addiction Forums in the past

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Glad to hear it.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Heathen

Glad to hear it, too.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I was going to jump in and let you have it just like you requested in the opening post. It's just that when I do everybody jumps down my throat for being too tough on people. So I didn't. I'm kind of sensitive and can't take the beatings I get from everybody.
People don't have a problem kicking your ass for being tough on other people. If you try drinking yourself to death all you get is a bunch of hugs. I don't get it sometimes.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How I react to peoples' replies depends on my mood at the moment. Sometimes I need hugs but feel I don't deserve them and sometimes I need a kick in the @ss but want a hug instead. However, I understand - now, finally - that those who reply are doing it out of concern for my well being, even tho it may be a bit harsh. I understand and appreciate the concern, even if it's rough and hard to take at the moment.

And I do appreciate those who love and care for me enough to call me on my BS.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by nolaspiral View Post
I am sorry to bump this thread (if threads get bumped here by comment), but I feel I owe you all an apology. It was a bad idea to start posting just as the worst of DT was creeping in. You know the dread I refer to...the actual shakes and sweats and holes punched in drywall aren't there yet, but you're bracing for it. It was in this state of mind that I made and participated in this thread.
I am nowhere near the !@#$! that I must have come across as, here. I hope that over time I will demonstrate otherwise and earn your trust and respect. In the meantime, I hope that an apology will earn a second chance. Probably not, because we all know how adept alcoholics are with apologies. Thing is, I'm not drinking anymore.
No apology necessary IMHO!! That is one of the things these boards are here for, to vent in our darkest hours. If I had to apologize for all the dumb $hit I've posted over the years, I'd probably have twice as many posts!! (Had to do it!!)

I do think it is good that you are in a better place now, and I hope that being able to "let out" some of your feelings here helped. Just about everyone here has been where you are to some degree or another. So I guess I'm saying we understand. You won't find a more loving and supportive group of people around than you will find here. Hope you stick and stay. Take care.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I get where you are at. If you are like me the idea of dying doesn't phase you in the least, the idea that you may go on living for a long time feeling like you do is what terrified me.

I'm about as warm and fuzzy as a rock. Doesn't mean I don't care, but to be effective in 12 step work, I can't get hung up on alcoholic sensitivities. One liners and cliche's don't cut it for me, and is not what got me sober. If you are serious about being done for good and all let me know via PM, I can get you in touch with some people in your area who can help you. They will offer you something a bit deeper than "keep coming back, or just don't drink".

One last thing, this process is going to require that you set aside everything you think you know, and get open to a new experience.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:27 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
I get where you are at. If you are like me the idea of dying doesn't phase you in the least, the idea that you may go on living for a long time feeling like you do is what terrified me.

I'm about as warm and fuzzy as a rock. Doesn't mean I don't care, but to be effective in 12 step work, I can't get hung up on alcoholic sensitivities. One liners and cliche's don't cut it for me, and is not what got me sober. If you are serious about being done for good and all let me know via PM, I can get you in touch with some people in your area who can help you. They will offer you something a bit deeper than "keep coming back, or just don't drink".

One last thing, this process is going to require that you set aside everything you think you know, and get open to a new experience.

"I'm about as warm and fuzzy as a rock." I love it. Believe it or not, I'm very emotional at appropriate times; have even cried watching footage from Iran this evening. Some say that the depths of alcoholic depression and the ensuing rock-bottom inspired DT is the perfect time for people to treat you with kid gloves. I think otherwise. The absolute last thing I need is people going soft on me. It's a small part of the reason it has taken me so many years to really take sobriety seriously, in the first place.

If I had suffered this madness when I was a teenager, my father would have snapped me out of it not by brutality, but by example of sheer will and causation.

Mom would have hugged me until I could escape to get more booze.

Thank you for your post. To the others that I have clearly offended (and offered an apology that you may or may not accept, above), please understand that some people view frilly encouragements as cheap dives from the truth.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Exclamation

Originally Posted by nolaspiral View Post

I registered back when, but never posted due to what I thought was a ton of rainbows and puppy dogs. Yeah, the emoticons and the cheap advice they symbolize, but it was more than that. On some nights it seemed as though many replies were just a galvanizing post with cotton candy and the promise that all is gonna be well.
I have to admit that I use a puppy dog as my avatar. If you look real close at this puppy you will see that it has no front legs and has learned to walk in spite of this seemingly hopeless condition.

We try to share our experience strength and hope. In my case I have seen/read/heard way to much experience (drunk-a-logs) and look for more strength & hope.

I tried sending only strong messages but was often criticized for lecturing or or being dogmatic. Now I try to mix the hard Medicine with a spoon full of sugar.

The truth will set you free but first it will hurt like hell or **** you off.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I thought the same thing about recovery programs in general before I was ready to stop drinking. When I had enough consequences and became very ill from drinking I began to look for and focus on solutions. I discovered that in spite of my better judgment the solutions had been there the whole time and that they worked.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

It's not unusual to try to cheer someone who is feeling down, give greeting cards, flowers, etc. Recovery literature is often nauseatingly flowery stuff. There can be both focused recovery and flowers though, I don't see it an "either/or."