Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I slipped... but does that really count? But now I am having problems

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok, I am sitting on the couch looking for a new car on my laptop, and my wife is sitting next to me and we are watching TV. My sister and law and her boyfriend come in, sit down and he is drinking diet coke- and my sister in law is saying how it tastes like fresh vanilla. So he gives my wife a try of it, and he takes it back. Originally, I had a thought that he may be talking about spiking the drink. (i mean who drinks diet soda?)

He offers it to me, I simply respond "no thanks, im not drinking that" in a cautious tone. He says, "it just tastes like fresh vanilla, its best when you add it fresh". I take a look at my wife, and she has no look on her face. I was figuring if it was somthing alcoholic she would give me a look or somthing. At this point, i figure he is talking about some vanilla that he added to it, and I am just being stupid. Just as that extra back up, I take a small sip.

Yep, its liqour added to the drink. Immediately, all I can think about is "@#$%" I am going on 5 weeks, and now I wont be truly alcohol free. I mean... does this count? This all happened in about 15 seconds, and it was an honest mistake....

Sad part is, as little as what I drank, that stuff lingers in your mouth- and I can still taste that little bit. I have been eating garlic bread to get rid of the taste, but in my mind its still there.

This really downs my night, all I can think about right now is how much I am actually MISSING that taste. I had to excuse myself from the room to come here because I am breaking into a sweat, and all I want to do right now is just have 'one more drink' which in my mind I know will turn to 50, then ill be back at ground zero.

Innocent mistake, turns into this- and I am hating THIS.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You're fine in my opinion.

Next time you won't even need to 'test' it for yourself, right?

Stay on track.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

dont beat yourself up about it! Just dont let that little slip become a great fall! hang in there you will be fine. :wtf2
Old 06-13-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I mean I know that I ingested some, but I mean does that mean I cant even gargle without consider it slipping? I hate myself for freaking out tis much

I hate myself even more because I am craving horribly.

Why didnt I just ask if it was spiked and tell them i stopped drinking after my accident....
Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Next time you won't even need to 'test' it for yourself, right?

You did the right thing by posting here instead of deciding to go ahead and drink. That's great! Don't beat yourself up, tomorrow is another day. I don't think that constitutes having to start all over. :ghug3
Old 06-13-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SexyCeloryStick View Post
Ok, I am sitting on the couch looking for a new car on my laptop, and my wife is sitting next to me and we are watching TV. My sister and law and her boyfriend come in, sit down and he is drinking diet coke- and my sister in law is saying how it tastes like fresh vanilla. So he gives my wife a try of it, and he takes it back. Originally, I had a thought that he may be talking about spiking the drink. (i mean who drinks diet soda?)

He offers it to me, I simply respond "no thanks, im not drinking that" in a cautious tone. He says, "it just tastes like fresh vanilla, its best when you add it fresh". I take a look at my wife, and she has no look on her face. I was figuring if it was somthing alcoholic she would give me a look or somthing. At this point, i figure he is talking about some vanilla that he added to it, and I am just being stupid. Just as that extra back up, I take a small sip.

Yep, its liqour added to the drink. Immediately, all I can think about is "@#$%" I am going on 5 weeks, and now I wont be truly alcohol free. I mean... does this count? This all happened in about 15 seconds, and it was an honest mistake....

Sad part is, as little as what I drank, that stuff lingers in your mouth- and I can still taste that little bit. I have been eating garlic bread to get rid of the taste, but in my mind its still there.

This really downs my night, all I can think about right now is how much I am actually MISSING that taste. I had to excuse myself from the room to come here because I am breaking into a sweat, and all I want to do right now is just have 'one more drink' which in my mind I know will turn to 50, then ill be back at ground zero.

Innocent mistake, turns into this- and I am hating THIS.
You did this unsuspectingly. I am sorry if it set off a craving. Why not brush your teeth well and go to bed? By tomorrow it will pass. You didn't "lose" your five weeks. Your liver thanks you and every other body organ thanks you that you did not poison for the last five weeks.

People can fall into that trap. Well, I ate one piece of chocolate cake so this means I blew it and will eat the whole cake. It doesn't have to be that way. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and next time this won't happen.

Last edited by Katie09; 06-13-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm sorry you reactivated your cravings.

Lesson learned: Smell before you taste
Don't drink any unknown liquids

Relax....it's over and done.
One sip by mistake is not the end of the world.
To begin drinking again would be really :
Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its a honest mistake, not a slip. Glad you didnt give in to those cravings
Old 06-13-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why in the heck would you beat yourself up over this?? Instead, congratulate yourself on the 5 weeks sober.

Relax man.....................you're OK. I would think the cravings are more MENTAL than anything............IMHO.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks all. I simply just excused myself for the night, did you what katie recommended and brushed my teeth and laid down for bed. After about an hour of so watching The Dark Night, my mind kind of slipped off the thought of drinking and onto how tired I was beginning to feel.

Man.. talk about blood in the water last night. Although I did take a sip of alcohol, I am not going to consider this a true slip on my 5 weeks, just a
re-enforcement of my 5 weeks as I move on to 6 weeks SOBER.

Though, my stomach is very upset this morning. I actually feel like I did on my first day of detox, only without the cravings.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't think it's anything to go crazy about.. however.. I don't make a habit of tasting anyone's drinks regardless of my alcohol suspicions lol. Maybe don't ingest something that you aren't sure of the contents of, I think that might be a good plan for many other reasons too :P

I don't even really understand why anyone would enjoy any drink so much that they'd want someone else to taste it so bad..lol. That's just weird in my head, but probably not in many others. Doesn't your friend not know that you've decided to live sober? Doesn't your wife? That's the part that might stick with me, as they both knew there was alcohol in it.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm with Smacked................that is a severe lack of respect on their part. If they knew the struggle it takes to get where you are.............they wouldn't consider it.

I'd chat with your wife and explain how in the future, you wouldn't mind a heads up on **** like this.

Anyways, I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over having a sip of alcohol.............but I would be a bit ticked about the lack of support from my family.

Just MHO
Old 06-14-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm in agreement with everyone else, I wouldn't consider this a relapse, slip, whatever. Look at it as a lesson learned, don't drink off of anyone else. When I was reading this, my thoughts were, "Why did these people make such a fuss over this and then offer it to you?" I think it's so disrespectful. Do these people not know that you are a recovering alcoholic? Although we cannot control anyone else's drinking, at five weeks, I think you have every right to tell people under no circumstances are they to bring any alcohol into your home. You can always change that houserule later. If someone can't respect this and adhere to it, they aren't real friends, IMO.

Also, good job for coming on here and sharing what it stirred up with you. That's what you're supposed to do, don't hold on to your feelings. As the saying goes, "We're only as sick as the secrets we keep."

God Bless,
Judy
Old 06-14-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The guy who actually was mixing this 'vanilla' drink was ny sister in laws boyfriend, both of which are unaware of my problem. I did talk to my wife last night and my first word to here were 'that really bothers me about the alcohol thing' She didnt understand what I was upset about. She then got wide eyed and looked at me and said 'you didnt try it did you?' thats when I said, yeah- I did, I was expecting you to give me a look if it was alcoholic or not.

She said she didnt realize that I was going to take a drink of it.

The reason she even allows alcohol in this place for others is because, ive told her I dont mind others drinking, I just dont want myself drinking.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

chill..........its a mistake no big deal.

Ask and sniff.........everytime.

A few years ago i popped a chocolate in my mouth at christmas....only to find it was full of cherry....something or other..brandy probably.

Tasted gross as well....man it done my head right in.

but i learnt a valuable lesson...........always read the wrapper and always sniff the drinks.....or just ask someone to taste it.

trucker.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ufe

Sounds like an honest mistake on everyone's behalf. One thing I have learnt so far, is that guilt and beating up on yourself for minor mistakes are two things noone needs, let alone an early recovery person!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It doesn't seem like that big of deal, or at least as harm free as a slip can be. If these things are judged by intent and you are sure there was none then there is nothing wrong. I know five weeks seems like a long time (and it is) but in the grand scheme of things it is just a blip on the radar--if it bothers you you may want to consider changing your date, you don't want to end up having a year or two and looking back thinking it may not be legit. This is not about being vindictive and punishing yourself but for your peace of mind--just a thought. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Why is a mouse when it spins?

I agree with everyone else completely. It's innocent and should not be thought of as a slip. You did the absolutely best thing by not diving back into the habit. As you know, it's all too easy. Mad props for maintaining an even keel and looking forward. Avoiding the fall feels so much better when you can look with proper hindsight. Keep it up!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Im giving you the thumbs up. This one doesn't count.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I think this whole discussion demonstrates to me why I don't count days. My sobriety date is listed as "TODAY". It is the only day that really matters. I know folks get all freaked out if they have a "slip" and have to "start over". Nothing is starting over. You still didn't drink the days you didn't drink and if you "slipped" you made a mistake and you should learn from it. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!!