Notices

"Time Out of Mind"

Old 06-14-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Piglet123 View Post
Forgive me for jumping in as a non-alcoholic, wife of a prescription drug abuser, with a medical background (just thought I'd state my position from the start).

I know many people disagree with this as an "excuse" or explanation for alcoholism, but to me, it reads clearly as if your alcohol abuse is above all an attempt to self-medicate a significant psychiatric problem.

Librium- a benzodiazepine, yes? Primarily for anxiety symptoms.

What you have described sounds far more consistent with life-threatening depression. Have you ever been prescribed an antidepressant?

You have already demonstrated your ability to STOP drinking (albeit for limited periods)- but if abstinence unmasks an overwhelming depression, it is hardly surprising you respond by drinking again. I would do the same. And there's no reason to expect you to do any different next time, unless you concurrently address your psychiatric issues.

I have no idea about the state of mental health services in your area, but I implore you to prioritize finding a psychiatrist who is experienced with dual diagnosis patients. Librium and alcohol isn't the answer.

As to how you will earn a crust and fill your days when you are a non-drinker, I would suggest that your skill with words holds the answer.

All the best.
Sorry for quoting your entire post.

Librium is for the shakes and to help with sleep
Old 06-14-2009, 06:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ufe

Depending on what flicks your switches, and how you perceive your recovery, I think the bar job could either be a saving grace, or something you need to get the hell out of!!!

Guys like Alan Carr (easy way to...) would probably suggest as I would that it is a good place to be, as you can start de-programming yourself in the way you perceive alcohol, and at least how ugly drunks really are. I kinda disagree with the isolation idea, that is removing all cues and exposure, since to me it's a form of denial, and more likely to lead to some degree of "white-kuckledness".

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nolaspiral,

Please forgive my brevity. You expressed that you were not into AA at this time. I was sincere in wishing you well and letting you know that AA is there if you want to try that.

Originally Posted by nolaspiral View Post
Do pardon my saying so, but I get the impression that you're implying failure without that certain brand of wisdom,...
Quite the opposite. I think that you should do whatever is in your heart to do. I'm a chronic alcoholic who recovered via the 12 steps. If that is not for you at this time, then I can be of little use to you. Lots of people can tell you what worked for them that doesn't involve AA. I'm just not one of them. I do both you and AA a disservice by trying to convince you of anything you aren't interested in.

Originally Posted by nolaspiral View Post
I'm sure that x number of "I gotta quit" types run through here every month and are never heard from again. I do not want to be one of those people. Registered in 2007 when things were just as bad as they are now, but I always found a way to "puss" out of the hill we all have to climb.
Yep. Every day someone drops in and out like that. Here is the one thing I can offer you as you hopefully find a road of recovery. One bit of truth that will help you regardless of recovery philospohy.

Two years ago things were just as bad as they are now. What has changed?

Was thinking the thread title was a Zevon reference, but I stand corrected.