Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I really have a problem with the word "alcoholic"

Notices

I really have a problem with the word "alcoholic"

Old 06-14-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
problem with authority

In the conference-approved pamphlet "A Brief Guide to A.A.", it writes, "Close meetings are for alcoholics only."

I am also aware of this statement. That's why I put what I wrote in quotation marks.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I seriously think that when we get to a point like this... it becomes grammatical. Bill W. had a way with words... I bet he saved many an alcoholic with his amazing writing ability and manner of speech.... But he wasn't perfect.

For sake of discussion... Do you think when they say in the guide "Closed meetings are for alcoholics only" that it is just to economize words, to make a point, to avoid the much longer "closed meetings are limited to persons who have a desire to quit drinking"?

Or do you think it means that for an individual to attend a closed meeting that they will have already had to work the first step and embraced the term alcoholic as it pertains to themselves?

Seems to me like a closed meeting would be an excellent stop along the first step journey?

BTW - FightingIrish... I assume you just pointed out the descrepancy (I know spelled wrong...) and that's why it was in quotes.

Mark
Old 06-14-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
I seriously think that when we get to a point like this... it becomes grammatical. Bill W. had a way with words... I bet he saved many an alcoholic with his amazing writing ability and manner of speech.... But he wasn't perfect.

For sake of discussion... Do you think when they say in the guide "Closed meetings are for alcoholics only" that it is just to economize words, to make a point, to avoid the much longer "closed meetings are limited to persons who have a desire to quit drinking"?

Or do you think it means that for an individual to attend a closed meeting that they will have already had to work the first step and embraced the term alcoholic as it pertains to themselves?

Seems to me like a closed meeting would be an excellent stop along the first step journey?

BTW - FightingIrish... I assume you just pointed out the descrepancy (I know spelled wrong...) and that's why it was in quotes.

Mark
It is my understanding is that closed meetings are limited to those who have a desire to stop drinking--they do not have to identify themselves as alcoholics or anything else they aren't comfortable with--they just have to have that desire, even if they are not totally sure. Open meetings are for people who do not wish to stop drinking (i.e. al-anon's, family/friends of an alcoholic, a professional in psychology or medicine interested in how aa works, etc.) Correct me if I am wrong but I think this is how it works where I go to meetings at least.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

That's how I get it....