Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Not an alcoholic, but can't safely drink socially?

Notices

Not an alcoholic, but can't safely drink socially?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'll say the same thing I just said on another thread to a guy who is basically asking permission to drink: Get on about it. Get the job done. Maybe you're not alcoholic.

And if you are, you probably won't die anytime soon. You won't get off that easy. Alcoholics usually die ugly deaths. But first they have to live an ugly life.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
I'll say the same thing I just said on another thread to a guy who is basically asking permission to drink: Get on about it. Get the job done. Maybe you're not alcoholic.

And if you are, you probably won't die anytime soon. You won't get off that easy. Alcoholics usually die ugly deaths. But first they have to live an ugly life.
No truer words were ever spoken. I can vouch for this. I am not at the ugly death part (yet and hope I never get there) but life sure has been ugly up to this point.

To the OP, I do understand your feelings re: AA, but there are some very good people to be found there for support.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
So very true and very sad.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Bob....
You have been on this subject time after time.
I understand you do not want to stay in AA
Ok....fine....there is no reason for you to bash it.

If my AA life was as miserable as yours
I'd go right out the door too.

Best of luck on your new journy
Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Heathen

Sounds like you've made your mind up about AA, and I totally respect and understand that. I made the same decision about it myself. That did not give me permission to continue drinking.. because alcoholic or not, I knew if I kept it up, I would lose my health, and likely my life. Just know that plenty of people get and stay sober outside the rooms of AA.. it's just one of many many ways.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cathy31 View Post
One of the reasons why I finally saw the light in terms of my alcoholism was that I COULD NOT SAFELY DRINK (socially or not) So ... I drank at home. One of the qualifiers for alcoholism (the most important being self diagnosis of course!) is that when I pick up a drink I cannot GUARANTEE the outcome...i.e. will i go on a bender, get in a car drunk, or will I (which did happen at times) go to bed quietly after a 'reasonable' amount of alcohol...the point is I cannot guarantee the outcome. I am an alcoholic. Alcohol does something to me physically - and mentally when I'm in active addiction or in the space it sound slike you're in I have an obsession that says 'this time it will be different' - or even worse I AM DIFFERENT!
'this time it will be different' that is me, every time I drink and sometimes it isn't that bad but when it is bad (which it is 9 times out of 10) it is horrendous.

I cannot guarantee the outcome either and being in a blackout for 5 days straight anything could happen to me or I could do anything.

I find it absolutely amazing that I can have the 'this time it will be different' thought again and again, it honestly stuns me that I fall for it.

I don't drink like some people in AA did either, most of them were daily drinkers and sometimes I feel out of place because of that but binge drinkers die just as dead as every day drinkers, in fact binge drinking is considered more dangerous by some people I know, including some people in AA who have seen them dying and also by my Doctor.

Anyway, Bob, I am not sure what it is you mean, if you don't like AA don't do AA. If you are wondering whether you are an alkie or not, then that is a normal thought for an alkie until they accept it...or maybe you really aren't one.

It just seems like if there wasn't a problem none of this stuff would be an issue for you, you know?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Right. I love how people think they are the first people ever to avoid being labeled an alcoholic and to avoid A.A. "How unique I am..."

Who did not feel this way at one time? (Not I...)