Notices

12 years

Old 05-25-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 years

it has been 12 years since I had a drink and yet for the last couple of days it is all I can think of!

I don't know why. Yes, life is alittle stressfull right now but over the years it has been way more stressfull than it is now and I haven't wanted a drink!

I am 99% sure that I am not going to go have one.....it is that 1% that worries me!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Congratulations on your 12 years. Keep it simple today and Just don't drink. I gave away my 15 years and I can tell you it was not fun.
Celebrate your 12 Years with a meeting or with some sober friends.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 12 years... Do you attend AA ?

One thing I've learned, is that regular meetings are for life if one wants to maintain sobriety
Old 05-25-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Old 05-25-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks!

No, I have never go to any meetings! I am not comfortable going in the small town I live in.
I just keep reminding myself of what life was like when I was drinking and I know that I don't want to go back to that!!
Hopefully today goes well!!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

:day

Glad to see you here again
Old 05-25-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

Personally, I strongly believe in face to face support (AA, counselling) however SR is a great tool to help get through those rough days. Keep posting!

This too shall pass. Just don't drink.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your twelve years- the fact that you are worried about that "1%" should bode well for you- you're NOT resting on your laurels & you still are taking it seriously. You'll be fine. Celebrate & have some lobster tails today- you deserve it!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

tweleve years - holy CRAP!!!!!

git to a meetin!!!!!

They give prizes
little things that look like money
but are personally far more valueable
and have cake and stuff for long stuff like that!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Twelve Years! Good for you! I'm glad to see that you aren't taking that twelve years as a guarantee that everything will be fine. As you know, this disease is patient, extremely patient in your case. . . it's been sitting by, just waiting for the opportunity to rear it's ugly head. Telling on your disease is a great start to not let that 1% grow.

Ok, if you won't go to a Meeting in your hometown, how about a roadtrip? It's very easy to find Meetings, just google away! What better way to celebrate Memorial Day than to remember what it was like so you don't go back? If you are dead set, won't budge, refuse to go to a Meeting, stick around with us today or call a sober friend. You can always throw together a quick cookout with a few friends or get a bucket of chicken and go sit in a park. Memorize the alphabet backwards, just keep yourself busy so that 1% doesn't have a chance to grow.

Hugs & Blessings,
Judy
Old 05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!

I know I should go to meetings..........but where I work we help out families...........and I worry that I would go to a meeting and a parent would be there that just early that day I was helping out with parenting skills. I feel like it would be a weird thing!!

I also don't feel like I would get much support from family and friends if I was to go. Nobody around me now knew me when I was drinking and doing drugs. I get the feeling from some of them that they don't think it was a big deal. I didn't do rehab or AA and I guess they figure that it couldn't of been that bad!

I am feeling a bit better now! But it gets worst at night and early in the morning!
Thanks again.....I always know that I can get support here!!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I find prayer immensley helpful in all situations.
It really comforts me.

Here's one often used in AA....The Serenity Prayer

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I can not change
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference"

Blessings to you and your family.....
Old 05-25-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by cevin View Post
it has been 12 years since I had a drink and yet for the last couple of days it is all I can think of!

I don't know why. Yes, life is alittle stressfull right now but over the years it has been way more stressfull than it is now and I haven't wanted a drink!

I am 99% sure that I am not going to go have one.....it is that 1% that worries me!!!
12 years and no mention of a meeting...yet having a urge. It sounds to me that your human. Nurture that 99% and it will be okay.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi cevin,
Congrats on 12 years!!!!

Don't throw it away. You are fortunate that nobody around you knew you when you drank or did drugs....you should keep it that way.

You say it gets worse at night or early in the morning. Is there something you could change in your pattern to help you with the thoughts? Perhaps a change in routine could be positive.

I can relate to your reasons for not going to meetings. SR is a great resource. I'm in the liquor business, and I was worried about being seen at meetings. I got over this fear when I decided that I am worth it, and I'd do anything for "comfortable" sobriety. For me, it's one thing to quit drinking...but another thing to overcome feelings of alienation and isolation.

You are fortunate to be in a "helping" profession. My opinion is that going to meetings could strengthen your ability to help families....but that's just my opinion. If you ran into a parent who you were helping, that person would have a solid example of someone who is helping him/herself. With 12 years of sobriety, I doubt anybody who is struggling would look down on you....if anything, they'd probably want to get to where you are in life. Again, this is only an opinion.

Anyway, 12 years a big accomplishment. I hope I can stay sober as long as you. You've certainly made some very good choices in your life.
chip
Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

cevin,

Congrats on your time! Did you know AA/NA has "open" meetings where anyone can attend? I know a few people in the caring fields who go just so they know how it works.

AA/NA also has "closed meetings where only alcoholics and addicts are permitted.

You might check it out. I went out after eleven years. It hasn't changed much. Other than it's so much worse!

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Go with your heart,you sound like a top fellow.lol.. Oz..
Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Cevin....welcome to SR!

I TOTALLY understand why you can't go to a meeting. I, too, live in a very small (narrowminded) town. If I went to meetings, I would seriously lose my job. Seriously.

So...what I want to tell you, is that you are an Inspiration to me, to have gotten sober on your own.....and stayed that way for 12 years. Thank you.

I would say, to stick around SR. It is my AA.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

WOW.. 12 years "on your own"?! admirable. And a true inspiration.

Keep it up and thank you for posting this.

All the best!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dude you have worked it for 12 years,just keep on keeping on. Stay in the moment and treasure your sobriety.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!:ghug
Your words have really helped me these last couple of days. I am feeling better about that 1%. I think it is down to .5%
I guess I was stressed out about more than I thought I was!