Notices

My Detox – Day 1 (check in).

Old 05-22-2009, 01:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile My Detox – Day 1 (check in).

Hi Everyone

I have found this site and all users most helpful. I have noticed that many people check in regularly and it helps them with all the supportive comments so I thought I would give it a go.

I finally started my home detox today with my partner, after years of drinking most of our adult lives. My doc and counsellor are aware of this.

I am keeping a diary and each day will monitor my cravings, agitation, anxiety, mood, diahorea, sickness, nausea, indigestion (heartburn / belching), weight, shakes, food, sleep, vitamins, date & days sober.

Our average day for the last 3 years has been getting up and drinking a 4litre cask or more between us a day, I am normally sick every morning and we have become isolated / withdrawn. We both have liver damage and I have alcoholic neuropathy, a sorry state of affairs that just crept up on us. Plus nothing ever gets done around the house etc.

So I am pleased and amazed that we survived day 1! The two previous days to this day I reduced my intake by about a half and I think this has helped. We also cleaned the house out of booze before today.

I have still suffered the shakes all day (full body), am anxious, have cravings and am going up the wall. But we have made it, just gotta try and get some sleep tonight if that is possible. Normally the days, weeks, hours blend into one and fly by…today has been a long day. I am not looking forward to being sober all the time, but my health issues say otherwise.

Thanks for reading my post and I will be checking in soon.

Kind regards

J
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keeping your doctor alerted is an excellent plan.
Is your partner also heading into sobriety?

Glad to know you are going to have a
sober healthier future.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome jacknscoob.thank you for your post and your honesty.there is plenty of support on this site and lots and lots of good suggestions.next couple of days will be tough,,but it will pass.please keep us posted on your progress.thanks.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

Carol, yes my partner is doing the same and we are under the same doc and counsellor (although we are seeing the counsellor separately as they request.

Will keep u posted.

Kind regards

J
Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 2

I have made it to the end of my day 2!!! I know it is very early days, but hey thats good for me.

This morning I was not sick (I usually am as soon as I wake up) which was great. I still had a bad head ache but that was nothing compared to the sickness I have been experiencing. My indigestion has improved (although it is still fairly bad) plus no diarreah (spelling).

I still have the shakes but am able to write (of sorts). I am amazed at how some of the physical symptoms have subsided in a short space of time.

On the downside I feel very low, depressed and agitated. Iv been trying to keep busy but my energy levels are low. I am also anxious and jumpy. I kinda feel, well whats there to look forward to, but I know/ hope that will pass. I still have a strong craving for grog as I know it would make horrible psycological symptoms go away. Iv just got to stay strong.

Well thats me for today.

Thanks for listening.

Kind regards J
Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sure if your like me, this probably damn sure isn't the first time youve tried to quit. And youve probably heard hundreds of times it gets better. But I'll say it one more time. "after a few days it does get better"
I'm praying for you to this time keep the monkey of your backs.
Fred
Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I am not looking forward to being sober all the time, but my health issues say otherwise.
Jacknscoob - my prayers are for ya today, hon.

Most people think when they start in recovery that the rest of their lives is going to be one long full-body tense up ... resisting the urge to drink.

That is NOT what sobriety is by any shot.

We don't live the rest of our lives wanting a drink but resisting.

In fact -= it becomes the exact opposite.

When the body heals, other influences of life itself come in.
There's no NEED to resist.
the body feels better on its own.
So it's not screaming for the sedative any more.

That's what me mean in the beginning about 'this too shall pass.'
As we move on, it comes to mean a jillion other things.

Hang in there - the entire WORLD of livingness is waiting for you to be able to notice it.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Take each day simply, focused on your recovery.
It is very, very important. If you had cancer, you would put all your energy
towards that. I hope you treat this just as urgent.

Originally Posted by jacknscoob View Post
I am keeping a diary and each day will monitor my cravings, agitation, anxiety, mood, diahorea, sickness, nausea, indigestion (heartburn / belching), weight, shakes, food, sleep, vitamins, date & days sober.
I use a diary too. I still do. Every morning i open it up, and for each day i track
"Did i drink? (Yes/No)". It works for me.
And it's cool (and a bit wierd) to see all the weeks go by. I remember how urgent i felt to drink before. But when i see "April 24th, 2007" in my log, I can't remember the urgent cravings on that day (though i'm sure i had them).

What worked for me was Journal, showers, naps, tea, coffee, vitamins, early bed, reading, music.
I'm soo happy to be done with the serious cravings. The 1st 30/60/90 days are hard (so be prepared), but it gets easier.
You gotta break the physical dependence.

Best of luck to you!!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jacknscoop, What you're experiencing is normal withdrawal. The symptoms will go away after a while. Sleepness may be around a little longer but again this is normal. If trouble sleepimg persists, try Melatonin. It's a substitute for the melatonin our bodies produce to aid sleeping and is very safe. My counselor recommended it and it's great! You can also but it over the counter. And if you haven't already, try a few AA meetings. They're great for getting support.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile Day 3

Hi Guys thanks for all of your kind and encouraging words. Ist thing I did this morning and log on to here, doh!

Well I have made DAY 3...YEY.

I wasnt sick this morning and have even moved my sick bucket away from the bed. Indigestion is still improving. My leg / feet neuropathy is just the same but I expect it will take a long while, although I am aware that in some cases it is irreversible. Time will tell.

I have jaw ache, I s'pose that's from clenching my teeth and I am not realising it

Mood wise I still feel low, anxious, restless and agitated, but on a positive note Im not drinking and am on track. I still have the shakes but they are alot less than they were. I also feel lethargic and it is an effort to do anything, but I am trying to keep busy. Yeh I realise the sleep thing will take a while also.

We are seeing our doc tomorrow.

Thanks again guys.

Kind regards

J
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

if you are tired then rest as much as you can,,because you wont be sleeping very well! we put our bodies through so much as you know,,so take it easy.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 4

YEY completed day 4.

More of the same really.

My indigestion has nearly cleared up which is a relief. And no more sickness.

I saw my doc today and he prescribed some valium for me just to use for the short-term to assist with my anxiety. To be honest, for me it didn't make alot of difference, but I'll take anything I can. I had a blood test and have to go back next Monday. The doc seemed pleased and interested that I have been keeping a comprehensive diary which is helping me too.

One thng I noticed was when I had to pop into the library to take some books back, I was a bit nervous / jittery, but it felt good knowing that I did not reek of booze which normally I would, that felt good.

Thats all for today folks and thanks listening.

Kind regards

J
Old 05-25-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jack - I'm also in Australia and have recently gone through what you are going through now.

Hang in there - the really horrible stuff doesn't last too long and hopefully the Valium your doc gave you will take the edge off. I know the serapax my doc gave me really assisted in the first few days.

A word of advice - don't go looking for the previously suggested Melatonin for a sleep aid. Apart from in QLD it is not able to be sold in Australia. It also has drug interactions with some anti depressants.

Cheers!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile Day 5

Hi everyone

Slimjim thanks for the advice re Melatonin.

Has anyone experienced 'neurntin'? I believe it is useful for neuropathy and anxiety??

YEY...day 5 under my belt.

Physically I feel much better. Still feel down & anxious but it is not as bad as it was. Each day I have been noticing a slight improvement. I've been having ups and downs all day & still feel agitated.

It was quite strange going out in the car to the shops with a flask of 'tea'!! (not the fizzy yellow type). Normally, when we were drinking, no matter where we were going, we would pack a cask of wine and I would take out several slushies in a big esky (cool box), slushies being frozen wine, which would turn to a slush and I would drink it out of a plastic beaker through a straw. My partner called it my blanky and I never left the house without them (just in case I needed them).

Another thing I noticed today was something that non alcoholics would take for granted. We are selling a lounge suite and someone wanted to come over and view it. Normally, (whilst drinking) any appointment we made about anything had to be in the morning (earlier the better), as by the arvo we would prob be passed out for a couple of hours and by the evening time we wouldnt know what we were doing. So it was strange / refreshing today to say to the woman yes you can pop over in the evening to see the suite and it was no drama. Amazing! I think we are realising how much the booze dictated and took over our life.

Still one day at a time.

Catch you tomorrow and thanks for listening.

Kind regards

J
Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ooops - typo, drug called 'neurontin'.

J
Old 05-26-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about doing more things in the evening. I was always an evening only drinker so after 6pm I couldn't drive anywhere because I was pissed. Lately I've been going out for drives at 9 or 10pm just for something to do. It's quite refreshing!

5 days is great! Before you know it you'll be at 50!

Wine slushies. I've never considered that. Sounds pretty disgusting :-P I think I'll stick to raspberry Fanta slushies!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on reaching 5 days.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Smile Day 6

Me again. Yes I have survived day 6!

I am feeling alot better. I even managed to play an hour of tennis today. I really noticed how much less agitated I felt after the session. I'm really going to make more effort now with physical activity, plus I need to loose the 2 stone I managed to put on over the last 3 years of heavy drinking and eating crap food.

We are also catching up with all the chores / cleaning / sorting all the 'projects' that we said we would do that we have ignored. I found that when we were drinking all the mess and chaos didn't matter.

Staying off the booze will be the difficult part now, specially when any social activities come our way. Oh well one day at a time.

Kind regards

J
Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad to hear your hangin in there! When I was in AA 20 years ago the guy that usually led the meetings was always saying. "don't do too much at once". I don't know if he was talking about work or the 12 steps. He's gone to the AA hall in the sky now so I can't ask him.
BUT I'm not taking any chances I'm taking everything slow. There really isn't a rush to do anything,but stay sober. Thats job#1
Fred
Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on your detox and getting sober. It's a very liberating feeling. I don't have much to add besides what everyone else has already said, but use your projects and things around the house to keep you busy and keep your mind off of things. I still always have some sort of project going just for whenever I feen anxious and need something to keep me busy, especially now while I'm quitting smoking.

Best wishes to you and your partner!
Jon