Notices

My Detox – Day 1 (check in).

Old 06-01-2009, 03:33 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Smile Day 11

Hi guys.

I have reached day 11...YEY! Never would have believed it 2 weeks ago.

Saw my Doc today. Blood test results were as expected, pretty dire, liver damage and high cholestral. My iron was very low also.

The good thing is that I will be having my next blood test in 3 mths time, so it is another incentive to stay sober and to try and get my readings nearer or back to normal, repairing all the damage to my liver.

The Doc prescribed me Campral, it will take at least a week to work, I am openminded about it, but am happy to try anything that helps. Like all these drugs they affect people in different ways. Doc also prescribed me some 'Endep'. This is an anti-depressant, but is supposed to help with sleep and pain (for my neuropathy). If this works I will be stoked if it aids all three things, again it will take a while to get into my system. PS: I am not advocating these meds, just updating peeps on my situation.

I feel on track and at this moment do not even fancy drinking, I'm now an earl grey tea junkie...lol.

Hope everyone is doing well and I have enjoyed reading and taking part in the posts relating to 'weight', 'positive triggers' & 'things u want to do now u are not drinking', thanks for that.

Catch u tomoz.

J
Old 06-01-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update. Maybe it's just me, but you seem to "sound" happier than you did when you first started posting.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Friend

Hi there!
I usually post on in the substance abuse forum, but I came across your thread and read through your posts. My fiancι and I are going through detox together, so I know how that can make it better/worse in many different ways. Congratulations on your successful progress - sounds like you’re doing awesome! Keep it up!

Michelle
Old 06-02-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Smile Day 12

12 days today...YEY!!!

Am feeling better in all respects. Yes 'Nevertheless', I am alot happier, less stressed / depressed than when I was drinking.

When I drank, the first hour of drinking was in attempts to just feel 'normal', well not shaking or retching / being sick. My sickness first thing in the morning was bad as many times I never made the bathroom, so was sick in bed, on the floor or in the car. I seriously am relieved that I do not have this horrible and embarassing problem. It appeared then that a pint of slushy wine was the only thing in the world that would settle my stomach. Phew it's over.

I am sleeping much better now and once awake in the mornings want to get up and do stuff. During my drunk life the only thing that got me outa bed was the fridge-freezer calling my name.

Yes, my partner and I are supporting each other through this, it's all good. Our relationship only works if we are both the same, ie both drinking or both not. On the odd occasion (v rare), he has been drinking and I have not, I can't bare being near him because of the smell, I find it repulsive.

All in all it is going well, but I don't like to get too excited or above my station, as for me it is one day at a time. So far so good but it is early days.

Thanks for listening.

J
Old 06-02-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

L-Glutamine 2000mg - 5000 mg per day, (an amino acid, available at health food stores) in divided doses is supposed to assist with cravings. I've been using it and it seems to work. No cravings at all.
Good luck
Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jackie I really have enjoyed reading your updates, just thought I would share that I had a fatty liver (Precursor to cirrosis of the liver) when I entered detox, after 90 days sober my liver enzymes were back to normal, in about 6 months all of the swelling was gone... the tenderness was gone in about a weak.

If you do not have cirrosis of the liver your liver will in time heal as long as you do not drink. Even if you have cirrosis of the liver as long as there is not to much permanent damage as long as you stay sober it will not get worse and the liver that is not cirrosis will get better.

We have a guy in my area that has cirrosis of the liver and he has been sober for over 25 years now and to quote him "I am still sassy!" LOL
Old 06-02-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

HAAAAAAAAAY!

So glad to see that you are still sober and posting your progress! Keep up the great work - you are very inspiring. I am still taking it one day at a time. I really happy that you went to the doctor's to get some assistance. That was very brave of you. Keep updating us on your progress
Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Smile Day 13

G'day Everyone

Day 13 complete...YAY!

Nothing exciting to report. Did 25 mins on my Cross Trainer today (I have renamed it my 'Happy Trainer' as I am so happy when it is time to get off...lol).

Gonna keep checking in. Several people have mentioned that when they have relapsed or feeling really bad, re-reading their own threads can help them get back on track.

When I was drinking and contemplating becoming sober I was always very worried about how I would fill my new sober time and how bored I would be and how I wouldn't be able to cope with it. It's early days I know but that hasnt been the case, I have been feeling more relaxed, keeping busy and not bored. When drinking the days wizzed by and merged into one. Now the days dont blur / merge into one but the days are still wizzing by. Sometimes I think the worry about these things is worse than the reality, it has been for me.

That's all from me folks...hope everyone is doing good.

Seeya tomoz.

J
Old 06-04-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Smile Day 14

Two whole weeks...

J
Old 06-05-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Smile Day 15

Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Awesome!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Day 16

Hi guys.

Have survived Day 16. Similar to last week as Sat is a particularly dodgy day for me, well the late arvo / evening time is. At this moment I would love to get smashed and eat bad food, just for a couple of hours. So I am feeling agitated, moody and sorry for myself. I think alot of it is psychological, well I know it is. We had a busy productive morning and now I feel I want to drink.

I know I can't / wont drink but the craving is driiving me up the wall. But I know it will pass and tomorrow (hopefully) I will be back on track. In fact I know I will be OK tomorrow. Gotta get my positive head back.

I think my new meds are helping me to sleep better, so that is a relief.

I am reading alot more now, as it is a good distraction. I enjoy funny, humerous, easy read stuff.

Can anyone recommend any good ones?

We are library mad at the mo, getting out lots of books, many fiction and lots of books on various hobbies.

Well thats all from me, hope everyone is doing good.

Seeya tomoz...J
Old 06-06-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Glad to see your hangin in there. Before you started this did you actually think you would make it this far? I had my doubts about myself,but I just past 70 days. For me the first couple weeks was roughest. Now we have to watch out because Mr alcohol will sneak up and bite us when we aren't looking,and where we aren't looking.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Smile Day 17

Hi Everyone.

Day 17 complete and yes it was better than yesterday.

Nevertheless said "Before you started this did you actually think you would make it this far? "...Nope not at all. Rewind 18 days ago I couldnt have gone 10 mins, doh! 70 days 'Nevertheless'...Congrats!! Very inspiring.

I will keep checking in even thou it will send some of you to sleep, but it helps me to check in on myself, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for listening.

J
Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

It won't put me to sleep.
As a matter of fact, if you quit I'll wonder what happened,(unless of course you first explained). No I look forward to signing on here every day to see you still sober. Keep it up
Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Day 18

Hi Everyone.

'Nevertheless'...yes I am still sober and thankyou for your kind and encouraging words.

I have been up and down emotionally all day. I know I wont drink but I really miss it. I'd love to say to myself that when I reach 3 mths sober, for example I can have a treat and have a drink. My partner is dead against it and doesnt see the point, I know he is right, but drinking has been a big pass-time in my life and I miss it. ALOT. I just have to keep re-focusing on all the bad things that have happened as a result of my boozing and just because I have stopped now, does not mean that all the damage that I have done to my body will repair just like that. It will take time,a long time.

Well I just gotta keep chugging on and deal with each day as it comes.

Seeya tomoro.

J
Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

No No No Here in usa if you are trying to stay sober,chugging is a BAD idea.
Seriously though, I don't know how many times I have quit and thought I could drink again,like a normal person. As a matter of fact that was the subject at our AA meeting tonight. I have made this mistake too many times.
All that matters is to stay sober TODAY. Tomorrow doesn't matter till tomorrow,then it will be today
Old 06-09-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Smile Day 19

Hi Everyone.

Cheers Neverthless for your post. You said 'All that matters is to stay sober TODAY. Tomorrow doesn't matter till tomorrow,then it will be today' - that is so true.

The weekend is coming up soonish and I am aware that I may be expected to attend a social function (my first since being dry). We are arranging a street garage sale and the last time we joined in one, all the neighbours met up after in the road for drinks etc for a good few hours. Normally, I would be worried sick by now, as I could not face going sober, as I would feel too shy & nervous. The latter is still the case, but I've decided to save up all my worry and angst until Saturday and not let it ruin the next few days leading up to it. So thereby dealing with everything one day at a time. If that makes sense. If on Sat I cant face going, I wont as I do not want anything to jeapodise my sobriety at this early stage. Not going will not be the end of the world.

I have always used alcohol in social situations since my teens and I think this will be my biggest hurdle in sobriety.

Anyway...Hey-Ho...Day 19 complete!!

Seezya tomoz.
J
Old 06-10-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Smile Day 20

G'evenin' all.

Day 20 complete. All going well and today I wasnt just 'chugging' but wizzing along in prep for our weekend garage sale.

I must admit as the time is going by I am thinking less about drinking, I am def not preoccupied with it 24/7 like I was. sometimes I can go hours and not think about it, especially during the day. Also, I defo dont fancy a drink the minute I wake up, now I couldn't think of anything worse. I've never drunk so much tea...lol.

C Ya tomoro.

J
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

It's good to see you're still going Jackie!

The days will start flying by soon.

I am at 2 months today and the urge to drink is pretty low most of the time now. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!