Notices

My Detox – Day 1 (check in).

Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Did you make it through day 7 Jack?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 7

Hi guys thanks as always for your kind and supportive words.

Well I have made 7 days...ONE WEEK!!!

I am pleased that I have managed it, but today was a pooh day, I had a real craving this arvo and felt miserable, agitated and depressed. All I wanted to do was to have a drink and relax, but I didn't, I am thankful for that. My legs / feet are really hurting (neuropathy) and that gets me down. I miss the booze, but I s'pose I will just have to adjust. I know I will have bad days and tomorrow hopefully I will be psychologically back on track.

One day at a time.

Thanks for listening.

J
Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on a week!

I am not looking forward to being sober all the time
That was my greatest fear, being sober!!!!! OMG!!!! I had lived the prior 5 years drinking every day because I had to, I had no choice but to drink. For many years I would not do a thing except go to work unless I could drink while doing it, my life revolved around drinking, it was all I knew.

Well when I got out of medical detox they told me if I wanted to stand a chance of staying sober I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor, well I was desperate to stay sober so I followed thier suggestion.

I foolishly thought that all AA was about was NOT DRINKING!!!! I was so wrong, I have found that AA is about leaning how to live life on lifes terms! You see I had no idea how to live life, all I knew how to do was drink to get away from life.

I have found in sobriety that every thing I did do while drinking I do better today sober and I remember it all the next day! I have also discovered a whole new larger and better world out there that one can not do while drinking.

Today the world is my oyster!

Hang in there, it really does get better, but it takes time! When I had been sober about 2 months I was speaking to an old timer and told him how I could not believe how much better my thought processes had become, I told him that I could not imagine it getting better then what it was. He looked at me and grinned, he told me that I could see improvement for over a year! Well every month for over a year it did get better even though I thought it could not get better then what it was.

Hang in there and keep in mind that there will be some damn tough days ahead, but it does get better with time and time takes time.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
trying to recover

jack, i have just read your thread and being on day one myself i feel truly inspired. you and your wife have done so well. keep up the great work. sounds like the love and support you are drawing from one another is phenomenal x
best of luck for the next 7 x
Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

A week is a good beginning....
Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hay My Main Man! I can't wait to hear about Day 8!

Some days are up and some days are down. And then some days are like mine today - Day 11 and I am all over the place I was such a miserable bitch earlier today. Then I just had a meeting with some of the guys I work with and ate some rich dark chocolate. Now I am giggling like a goofy kid. Later on I teach a spin class and perhaps do a little shopping. I never knew shopping sober could be so fun.

Just take it one day at a time. I know it's like listening to a record player - but if I start thinking out too long term it gets to be overwhelming. I'm just focusing on today.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

BTW - I love the Herself the Elf avatar! It was one of my favorites when I was a little girl
Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Smile Day 8

Hi everyone, thanks for your kind words and support.

YEY!!! Day 8 complete. A much better day today, back on track. We spent most of the day gardening, ie. weeding, pruning and mowing. Another chore that we have left for yonks, if we were drinking it never would have got done. I actually found it relaxing / therapeutic, the sun was out, it was hard work but we felt we actually achieved something. Plus we saw 2 roos out the back yard and they were only 10 feet away and not perturbed.

Not that it really matters, but Jack is short for Jackie. My partner and I are supporting each other through this and see the doc and counsellor together. My partner doesnt get all the anxiety, depression I get, he is lucky in that respect, but he understands that I do.

I phoned my Mum last night, she is in the UK, so I always have to phone her 5-6pm our time to catch her. Usually by this time when I was drinking, the next day I would never remember what we talked about for that hour. It was nice to phone her yesterday and have complete recall of the conversation.

I am going to continue to check-in every day on this forum as I am finding that it is really helping me, it's the last thing I do before going to bed, nice to evaluate the day and how we are getting on. Hope it doesn't get too boring for you readers...lol. Hopefully I can help others too.

Tazman - I read your post this morning and it made me cry, doh! emotional / good cry if you know what I mean, thanks for that. You gave me alot of hope.

Thanks for listening.

J
Old 05-29-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HappyMia View Post
Hay My Main Man! I can't wait to hear about Day 8!

Just take it one day at a time. I know it's like listening to a record player - but if I start thinking out too long term it gets to be overwhelming. I'm just focusing on today.
PS: HappyMia, Im with you too, thinking longterm sobriety is very overwelming. So one day at a time.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jackie I will tell you flat out that the things that has given me my life back in spades has been the program and fellowship of AA. Time sober helped, but I had to change or I would have drank again. You see for me the problems really began when I quit drinking because for so many years alcohol was my solution to life and when I quit drinking I had no solution and I was the same man I had been for many years and that man was a drunk and thought like a drunk...... the solution to life was alcohol, so every time a problem arose it was natural for me to want a drink.

In AA it is said that "Change I must, or die I will." and I can say for me this held very true. The 12 steps of AA taken with a sponsor are what led me to change, it allowed me to learn a new solution for life, a solution that did not involve alcohol or any other substance to escape reality. The fellowship of AA has given me rooms full of people on the same path I am on, we help each other walk that path and become good solid sober friends along the way. For this alcoholic the road of sobriety can not be walked alone and lead to a good life, but instead I walk that road of sobriety with many others like me, helping each other through trying times that only a fellow alcoholic can understand at depth and having a good time with each other as we live our lifes when they are good.

You mentioned crying...... ahh yes, the new world of brutal raw emotions not run through a filter of alcohol to either soften them or erase them. In early sobriety my emotions were all over the place, I was either very happy or very sad, when I was angered I was not one to be around because some one or something was going to pay, this lessened with time sober, but really improved after I had taken the steps and started to apply them to all areas of my life. I feel emotions today, but not in an over whelming manner and handle them well and enjoy life far more then I did when I really had none except anger and hatred like when I was drinking.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Jackie - I must admit I thought I was talking to Jack! I guess the picture should have given it away but I wasn't thinking about that.

8 days is a good achievement. I can particularly relate to your comments about gardening. It's very soothing in its own way, and at the end you can stand back and look at what you've achieved which is also good.

I've renovated my front garden in the time since I quit. It was early on so it still made me really sweaty. I've stopped sweating now. No more soggy pillows in the morning.

Keep up the good work and keep checking in
Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slimjim30 View Post
Jackie - I must admit I thought I was talking to Jack! I guess the picture should have given it away but I wasn't thinking about that.
Me too! Yeah, the Herself the Elf should have given it away but haaay - you never know sometimes! LOL LOL @ myself.

I do apologize about that! Let's all give a round of applause for Jackie How we doing today???
Old 05-29-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Just stopped by to see if you were still posting.

You are.

congratulations!

Took me a sec - 'see a roo' ... LOL

Here in Montana, that could mean just about anything!

I love that you're working in nature (whatever shape that might be)
Personally I think it's a very powerful therapy.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Smile Day 9

Hi guys - cheers for your posts!

Yes I have managed to scrape through 'day 9'! and it is a Saturday.

The day started (6am) well and we went out to loadsa garage sales this morning til about 2ish (we have furnished nearly all our home from garage sale stuff, doh!). I even bought a flask for my earl grey tea...lol. We then went shopping for sensible food (zzzZzzzz) and popped to the mobile library.

When we got back & all through the afternoon I could have murdered a drink, as a kinda reward for doing all the chores and being good for all these days. I knew I wouldnt have one, but I felt restless and hard done by, if you know what I mean. Well I'v gotten through it. I miss the booze and the pass-time of drinking, but I just need to re-focus and remind myself of the positive physical changes that have occurred in this short time I have been sober, like not being sick every morning, nausea and the chronic indigestion, blackouts, passing out etc. I am having my blood test results back on Monday, which will be bad, so I should imagine that will give me more impetus and a kick up the backside to keep going.

My sleep has improved (still take a sleeper), better than when I was drinking. My stratedgy is to only go to bed when am absolutley tired, so I am not laying for hours ruminating about all the stuff in my head.

Yes 'roos' are the kanger type...lol.

Hope everyone is doing OK and catch you tomorrow.

Kind regards

J
Old 05-30-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Glad you are doing great! I know I still get those moments too where I want a drink, or I miss it, etc...whether it's from boredom, stress or as an award for being so good. I too remind myself how awful it felt to drink - physically and emotionally - that really helps.

I am also seeing some positives from staying sober - even this soon! I am happier, I sleep so much better and I don't feel so bloated and hot all the time (from high BP?). I am looking forward to another day of sobriety today!

Yay for everyone!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It sounds like you're doing well!

It's a good idea to keep updating here, so you can look back and read this. Hopefully the pain will clear up soon and you will feel more balanced. But, I think the key in early sobriety, is to expect emotional ups and downs.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Jackie I will tell you flat out that the things that has given me my life back in spades has been the program and fellowship of AA. Time sober helped, but I had to change or I would have drank again. You see for me the problems really began when I quit drinking because for so many years alcohol was my solution to life and when I quit drinking I had no solution and I was the same man I had been for many years and that man was a drunk and thought like a drunk...... the solution to life was alcohol, so every time a problem arose it was natural for me to want a drink.

In AA it is said that "Change I must, or die I will." and I can say for me this held very true. The 12 steps of AA taken with a sponsor are what led me to change, it allowed me to learn a new solution for life, a solution that did not involve alcohol or any other substance to escape reality. The fellowship of AA has given me rooms full of people on the same path I am on, we help each other walk that path and become good solid sober friends along the way. For this alcoholic the road of sobriety can not be walked alone and lead to a good life, but instead I walk that road of sobriety with many others like me, helping each other through trying times that only a fellow alcoholic can understand at depth and having a good time with each other as we live our lifes when they are good.

You mentioned crying...... ahh yes, the new world of brutal raw emotions not run through a filter of alcohol to either soften them or erase them. In early sobriety my emotions were all over the place, I was either very happy or very sad, when I was angered I was not one to be around because some one or something was going to pay, this lessened with time sober, but really improved after I had taken the steps and started to apply them to all areas of my life. I feel emotions today, but not in an over whelming manner and handle them well and enjoy life far more then I did when I really had none except anger and hatred like when I was drinking.
Noone can tell you what will work for you but I had to agree with Taz. This could have been my post. Again I'm not trying to tell you what you need to do and wish you all the best whatever you choose.
Congratulations on your decision to make positive changes in your life and your sober time!
Old 05-31-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Smile Day 10

Just checkin in after completing day 10.

Feel OK and am amazed & pleased I have managed this long. I have been reading more posts on SR which really helps.

Docs tomorrow morning.

I am eating well now (ie good fruit n veg food) but need to loose some weight, well alot of weight, so my next objective is to up my exercise and try and do something everyday.

Regards to all.

J
Old 05-31-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You are doing soo good. Congratulations!!! Just keep doing it one day at a time.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Being that I "want" to quit drinking, this poster is very inspirational to me. Please keep posting.