Notices

How to Sleep??

Old 05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Wow. I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of responses. Thank you so much!

To the guy that said it's a lie: it is not. On the nights I've tried not drinking I just lay there in bed, unable to keep my eyes closed. I've tried meditation, I've tried chamomile tea, melatonin, and OTC sleep aids. NOTHING helps. I have a job so I can't go without any sleep...

Anyhow, thanks again everybody. I didn't see any solutions to my problem but I did see a helluva a lot of support.
TM
How many days were you sober and not getting sleep before you 'gave up' and returned to alcohol.. ? There's lots of solutions here, the overwhelming solution is to stop drinking, and eventually sleep, GOOD sleep will come. I don't think you saw a solution that you prefer... and that's ok, but really you have been given a LOT here, please don't poo poo it away.. people here have been exactly where you are.. believed the lies you do, and used the excuses you are. Experience speaks volumes, and it's one of the most valuable things about this forum.

I have a job too, my job is not more important than my health. Heck, take a few days off.. it really doesn't take long, amazingly enough after what you've been doing to your body and brain.

It sounds like you're content to continue passing out from drinking instead, and that's of course your choice, and well.. good luck with that! When you are tired (no pun intended) of your solution, you might want to try one of ours
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
How many days were you sober and not getting sleep before you 'gave up' and returned to alcohol.. ? There's lots of solutions here, the overwhelming solution is to stop drinking, and eventually sleep, GOOD sleep will come. I don't think you saw a solution that you prefer... and that's ok, but really you have been given a LOT here, please don't poo poo it away.. people here have been exactly where you are.. believed the lies you do, and used the excuses you are. Experience speaks volumes, and it's one of the most valuable things about this forum.

I have a job too, my job is not more important than my health. Heck, take a few days off.. it really doesn't take long, amazingly enough after what you've been doing to your body and brain.

It sounds like you're content to continue passing out from drinking instead, and that's of course your choice, and well.. good luck with that! When you are tired (no pun intended) of your solution, you might want to try one of ours
Hi FLutter ... thanks for the reply. I've tried on about 6 occassions now to not drink anything ... mostly on nights when I don't have to work the next day and it always ends the same way: me lying in bed with my eyes closed but my conciousness wide awake. Nothing I do calms me, nothing I do puts me to sleep. It's torture and I'd rather keep having a few drinks than endure it....
Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

TheMan—

I think the point is to try not just one-off nights of not drinking but successive nights of not drinking. It gets better. I would stop drinking on a friday (assuming you work mon-fri) so then you will have friday and saturday night alcohol free to acclimate to falling asleep without help from alcohol. I think it will be a little easier by Sunday. And each successive day it gets easier. Just trying one day here and there in the middle of drinking days doesn't really do much. You have to break the pattern.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The first few days are going to be tough, but they will get better. Not sure how else to put it other than that. Make sure to see a doctor before detox.

Longer term, however, as others have mentioned, exercise does a body good. It's worked wonders for me. Early morning runs coupled with long days at the office mean an easy slumber. Chamomile tea before bed also helps. Meditation and/or relaxation exercises will put you to sleep before you even know it. Sometimes they seem a little hokey, but they do work. Whatever gets the job done
Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

TheMan,

Here's a little technique that sometimes works for me: Get into your sleeping position and close your eyes. Recite to yourself some long poem or story that you know word for word by heart. Just focus on the the words. I use "The Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll as it's long and mostly nonsense.

Another technique is to repeat to yourself "one" over and over. Slowly. Sort of like a mantra.

Do you know any progressive relaxation exercises? Breathing exercises? If nothing else, for me, I will feel a little more rested.

The most important thing is to get through a week or so without drinking. It might be a good idea to see a doctor for a check up just to make sure everything is good, health-wise.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, TheMan.

My experience was that I would sleep whenever I was tired enough to sleep. I've had some odd hours, but I was okay.

If your insomnia is really bad/severe then please see a doctor.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
me lying in bed with my eyes closed but my conciousness wide awake. Nothing I do calms me, nothing I do puts me to sleep. It's torture and I'd rather keep having a few drinks than endure it....

I just saw this. Anytime I can't fall asleep while I'm lying in bed I get up and do something until I get tired enough to fall asleep. This can take several hours.

It was a long time before I was able to get on a somewhat regular sleep schedule. I still have bouts of insomnia, but it's tolerable because generally my sleeping situation is great now because I'm sober. While still drinking, I never got enough sleep.

Oh yeah, and caffeine keeps me awake. I try not to have any several hours before I go to sleep.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The inability to sleep along with an anxiety/panic disorder is what started me drinking habitually. I started drinking to calm down and fall asleep. I went from 6 beers to 12 beers and then to liquor. Now unfortunately my body just keeps wanting more and more making it even harder to sleep. I'm a newcomer here and am hoping to find the steps to get sober and stay sober.

I may not be sober yet but I did want to share one thing really helped me sleep in the times I tried to do it myself. I would walk on my treadmill and set a goal of 1.5 to 2 miles while watching tv. Then I would stretch, drink a cool glass of water, change and go straight to bed. Tiring out my body seemed to work for me. And I remember how much better I felt the next morning.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

TheMan, it takes like a week of consecutive days before you benefit from the wonderful sleep found in sobriety! Give it a shot! But see a doctor first, withdrawal can be deadly.

Chris, welcome to you.. I hope you are spending some time reading around here, and there's also a Newcomers thread as well. Usually the best way to stop drinking is to stop drinking, and before you do that, you might want to see a doctor and be very honest about your drinking so that you are safe while detoxing. After that, plugging in some support (here, and in your 'regular' life) seems to be very critical. Some people try AA, some go to rehab, or counseling, or all three.. we all want the same thing, and we all seem to have different ways to get there. You'll learn a lot here!!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post

Chris, welcome to you.. I hope you are spending some time reading around here, and there's also a Newcomers thread as well. Usually the best way to stop drinking is to stop drinking, and before you do that, you might want to see a doctor and be very honest about your drinking so that you are safe while detoxing. After that, plugging in some support (here, and in your 'regular' life) seems to be very critical. Some people try AA, some go to rehab, or counseling, or all three.. we all want the same thing, and we all seem to have different ways to get there. You'll learn a lot here!!
Thanks for your interest flutter. I've been reading around a little and am hopeful to find some support and motivation to get on with it. I've been honest with my doctors in the past but unbelievably they haven't had much interest in helping out. I've got a new job with new insurance, so I'm hoping the next Dr. will be knowledgeable enough to steer me in the right direction with detox; I am definitely not gonna go it on my own as it's gone too far and I know could be dangerous.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi TheMan -

I hope you've managedsome sleep.

I can see I needn't tell you that it's common in early recovery.

Just look at all the people who've posted telling you they're in the same place.
What a gift that is for us in al phases of recovery.

I remember that I kept 'Joe & Charley Big Book study' tapes and Speaker tapes going 24/7.
I just let them play over and over.
For weeks.
The first few weeks, I probably didn't sleep more than thirty minute increments.
Then one day - I'd be 'gone' for six /seven hours.
Then it'd be back to the 'dozing' thing again.

But it does pass.
It DOES get better.

Hang in, hon.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would just echo what everyone else has said: It may take a week or three weeks or even longer, but eventually you will be able to sleep fit.

I would emphasize that, like you, a lot of people seem to rationalize that they cannot sleep without alcohol, and that is what keeps them drinking. I was like that too for YEARS. And the kicker is that - to an extent - that may be true if you condition your brain and body to only sleep on alcohol. And that is why the week or so after you stop drinking you really can't sleep well.

Just give it some time. Also, exercise during the day may be helpful too. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LilyMarie View Post
Like others have said, the first week or so was very hard for me to sleep no matter what I tried (minus using sleeping pills).
But I find that Sleepy Time tea, melatonin, being calm and quiet an hour or so before bed, and some deep breathing or meditation helps when needed.

Best of luck to you and your sobriety.
Read a book an hour before you turn it. It calms your mind down.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
mergirl

I can stay up all night reading a thriller, but I get about 2 pages into a self help book and its lights out!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I have this same exact problem. I'm going through slight withdrawal (no shakes or vomiting, mainly just insomnia and anxiety). I take Unisom (mixed with a .5mg Xanax when i really, really cant sleep) Eventually when i am further into sobriety, i will tackle my sleep problems. My anxiety and sleep problems are usually curbed when i am sober for about 2 weeks (I'm a chronic relapser, new to AA)

Its frustrating, hang in there....also, i watch tv at night and that makes me tired
Old 06-03-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Exercise every day, just set aside an hour to take a long walk. You'll drop weight if you need to, keep it off, feel better (get endorphin release in the brain) and you'll have normal sleep patterns very shortly. It works.

This is from someone who was dependent on sleeping pills for 5 years.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

thanks Flutter- you posts have helped me more than i can say to get through the worst of it i believe, almost a week
Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Billy goatee

This threads almost ten years old so you may not get responses from the other people in it.

Feel free to introduce yourself in your own thread if you like

D
Old 12-03-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

When I finally quit for good I needed medical detox and the benzo and lunesta (I was addicted to that as well) sorta worked itself out .five weeks in when I left inpatient rehab it was mostly sorted. Dunno why people are so terrified of inpatient rehab, was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I did a number of horrific self detoxes over the years Booze and Klonopin was the worst. I did not sleep for over 96 hours.

Everyone is different, but 6-12 drinks a night for several years will cause quite a dependency...and let's be real, it was probably closer to 12. Without some sort of benzo taper you will probably have to tough out a week or two of sleepless nights.

I also wouldn't recommend doing even a doctor prescribed benzo taper at home too easy just to drink.on top of it.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Are you working a program like AA? I had the same problem and it drove me nuts. My mind just would not shut down and I hated going to bed. For me it took time and working the steps of AA. A short time after finishing my 4th and 5th steps I realized one day that I had been sleeping again. Taking that action changed something in me and I was able to stop being so irritable, restless, and discontent and could start being happy again.