Notices

Alcoholism And Benzodiazaphines

Old 05-17-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism And Benzodiazaphines

I have often times heard horror stories of alcoholics getting prescribed benzos like Ativan, Xanax ect.... I've been told that alcoholics will just abuse these medications. I was prescribed Klonopin 6 weeks ago for severe anxiety. I tried everything to help the anxiety: running 10-15miles a week, meditation and no caffeine. I have found the Klonopin to be a near miracle for the anxiety. I have not abused it nor have any desire to abuse it either. So for just this once I'm glad I didn't listen to certain AA folks.

tib
Old 05-17-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I didn't abuse/misuse the benzos my Dr prescribed to me either.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Most people follow the prescription there doctor gave to them and don't abuse Benzo's. There are a few of us out there however that have taken benzo's in addition to our drinking and that is why some Docotors will not prescibe them to alcolics. In my case I started taking them years ago as prescribed long before I was ready to stop drinking. I took them long enough as prescribed until my body became dependent on them. It was after I became addicted to them taking them as prescribed that I began taking more then needed and mixing alcohol with them.

They are very effective for short term axiety relief but just like pain pills you have to be careful. Taking them as prescribed does not guarantee your body won't become dependent on them. My Dr. even told me that strait up in the begining.

It is of course possible to take them on an as needed basis, that is, not everyday and never become dependent on them.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What medications I use and why I use them are matters
I don't need to discuss with anyone except my doctors.

As far as SR members are concerned......

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Benzos (specifically Klonopin) have saved my sanity, and probably my life, on a couple of occasions.

I used them short term as prescribed and tapered off completely.

I don't abuse prescription meds because I want them to be available, and to be effective, if I ever need them again.

Just my own experience, strength, and hope.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the past couple of years, I've seen three guys with what I would call 'quality' sobriety go straight to hell with the benzo use. None of them were planning any kind of relapse. One made it back (so far) and two have not. I've also seen a number of guys go through series of pain meds with no problem whatsoever.

The folks I've seen that do well seem to treat taking any medication (benzo or narc) as a very serious deal. They have a plan, tell others, and are acoountable in their use. The guys that got in trouble had difficulty in being honest with themselves about their usage. They justified it's non-narcotic, it's for sleep, it's temporary, etc.

The lesson I take from these observations is that I may not be able to distinguish the true from the false when it comes to addictive substances. The more I trust others to look over my shoulder and help me stay on track, the better chance I have of using the drugs as intended.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well meaning people who suggest you begin a med
alter dosage or quit entirely ...
all from their experience or observation......

are way to dangerous for me to heed.

I don't do my health without professional advice.
No one else should either...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been on Xanax for the better part of the year, and I've never abused it. I think I realize that my problems with alcohol would easily cross over into benzos, so I'm very, very cautious of when I take it. My doctor suggested I take 1mg each day in addition to Prozac, but I don't touch the stuff unless I really feel I need it.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on following your doctor's orders! Some people need meds to help them stay sober. I would not be sober today without Paxil.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Follow the advice of your doctor.

They are the only ones qualified to give you an opinon.

im glad you find the work.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There are a lot folks in AA who have very strong and very uninformed opinions on what you should and should not take/do/think etc. If your doctor knows that you are an alcoholic (and he should know), then you can safely trust in whatever he prescribes or advises. If in doubt, ask questions. But of your doctor, not other AA members. Your doctor prescribed a proper medication and it works. Questions?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I have not abused it nor have any desire to abuse it either. So for just this once I'm glad I didn't listen to certain AA folks.

tib
From my own personal experience, you may of heard bad things because Ativan effects the same parts of the brain as alcohol. That was what was told to me by my doctor.

I don't drink now, but do continue to take Ativan as needed for ADD. There's also a lot of people that question that being a alternative medicine for that condition. My doctor(s) have found, that regular ADD drugs didn't work for me. That's one of the kickers of the condition. Drugs affect people different.

I'm in complete agreement that as long as your doctor knows your history and you're honest with him, he's the best person to advise you.

However, getting other people thoughts are also good, imo. Where I come from you don't completely rely on any one source for everything.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Personally, I had some ativan (obtained illegally before I stopped drinking), and found they did not mix well with bourbon. I woke up one morning with my bed covered in blood from having fallen and hit my head. I still have the scar.

I'm not sure what I would do with them now that I have stopped drinking, but they sure gave me a nice buzz.

M
Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me coming off 6 years of 4-8mg klonopin daily was much harder than quitting drinking withdrawal wise. I started them during my drinking days and stayed on them until August 12th 2008. Follow your dr's orders and talk about physical dependence and safe tapering when you go off of them.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

for those who believe you should follow your doctor's advice even if they prescribe Xanax to alcoholic....

my husband went to his doctor saying he sometimes binges on weekends and it causes anxiety the next day. the doc prescribed Xanax. What my doc should know is that my husband is alcoholic. he had a physical only weeks prior and showed showed liver tests where abnormal and had to retake in 6 months. Yet he believed my husband.

My husband says it is just a low dose .5mg and told me his best friend (a full blown alchy - and you can tell that just by looking at his puffy face) said the same doc prescribed Xanax for his anxiety. My husband drinks until bedtime and then takes Xanax to go to sleep. I have tried repeatedly to explain the dangers of mixing the two things, but he does not listen...know why??? Cause he abuses alcohol already - do you think he is thinking straight?

It is a written undesputed fact that you should not take alcohol with Xanax. How could a responsible doctor prescribe Xanax to someone who is already abusing one drug????

HOW COULD YOU SAY THE DOCTORS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. THEY ARE NOT OKAY!!!! YOU ARE BEING NIEVE!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi sosad2008.......

Sorry to know of your and your husbands stuation.
Yes....
some doctors are careless....yes...most active alcoholics lie.

I hope you are finding help for yourself
in your local Al anon meetings.
They are great for support and understanding.

I see you are using our F&F A Forum too.
That also a good place.

All my best to both of you..
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm sorry. I am just a bit stressed.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No need to apologize sosad2008
Of course you are upset.

Prayers coming your way...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Freedom Seeker

For me: I have mainly abused alcohol, but I've also abused benzos and pain meds.

Yes, I need to stay away from everything. That's me. I've detoxed off benzos 3x and it's WAY worse IMO than alcohol detox.

Why chance it if you're an alcoholic?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

I was one of the jerks who abused benzo's with alcohol.
My bad!
Also dangerous and a bad idea.
I would definitely suggest only going on kpin short term.
I was on it for anxiety for 6 years and it just prolonged & heightened my anxiety.

I'm glad you found something that helps though!