Notices

Pool Day Tomorrow

Old 05-16-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pool Day Tomorrow

We're expecting triple digits tomorrow and my husband is out back getting the pool ready for us to spend some time there.

In the past, triple digit days on the weekends were fabulously luxurious days when he and I would stay cool in the pool with our plastic goblets, floating a bottle of white wine around in the water to keep it cold, until that one was finished and then we'd go pluck another from the fridge and keep on going. My memories of those days are very fond memories, and I'm not sure that floating a bottle of sparkling water around is going to cut it for me, but I guess that's just how it's going to have to be. Drinking is not an option, not even tomorrow, not even in 100 degree temperatures.

I've been hearing a lot about warm weather triggers the past two days in meetings, so I guess this is common enough. Just have to figure out how to have all the fun without all the booze.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Drinking is not an option, not even tomorrow, not even in 100 degree temperatures."

I can personally guarantee you'll have a GREAT day then.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mergirl

Swimming puts me in a better place then drinking ever could, want some company?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uglyeyes View Post
Swimming puts me in a better place then drinking ever could, want some company?
LOL my husband just told me he e-mailed all our friends and told them the pool opens at noon. The more, the merrier... come on down
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You can be a trend setter Laura
shwoing everyone how to enjoy splashing
instead of sloshing.

Have fun in the sun.....
Old 05-16-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LauraS View Post

My memories of those days are very fond memories
Keep them... those memories are yours forever... now make some new ones!

I'm 8 months... next week is our 10th annual whitewater canoe camping trip... Lots of good memories around the fire, a few too many beers... but good memories and I plan to keep them, savor them. I'm also keeping the memories of the last few... hiding it... drinking from sun up to sun down... not really enjoying the trip, just riding the buzz, not the whitewater...

I'm looking forward to it this year, yea some drinkers, more this year, but also a sober friend and my brother, who has 23 years in AA. He has always had a great time, and often is the prime motivator.... I want what he has, and God willing I will...

So, tomorrow, no self pity, OK?... Just feel that cool water on your skin, float around, put some music on, and just think how much better life is!!

Mark
Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey Laura, I'm sitting inside my cold house in England. it's raining (again) I'm drinking tea, and yes I am jealous! you are definately able to have a fantastic day without any alcohol! relax in that lovely sun with your friends and family. Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey L, do you have a Pool Boy? lol
Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

have a blast laura,we have a pool out back too.We keep plenty of soft drinks around but no booze....

Mark,grab your friends and come down June 5-7 to NC if you want too,a bunch of us guys are going camping on our local State Park for our 6th annual mens spiritual retreat...6 AA meetings,food,fellowship,swimming,boating,fishing whatever..always a lot of fun..we will probably have around 30 or so of us there..
Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the encouragement. It is not yet noon here and already quite hot, so we're looking forward to pool time. I have a noon meeting that I think I will attend so probably won't get much pool time until later in the day, but that's okay with me.

Rusty, we don't have a pool boy but we're taking applications, lol
Old 05-17-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey Laura, I'll come over from Brighton, England. I've been a life gaurd and everything. On a serious note, how did your day in your pool go?? It's almost bed time for me, but I reckon you must be enjoying your lovely US hot climate by now?! ps. It's still cold and miserable in the UK. Never mind!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pool day was great; I had a blast splashing around in the water and really didn't even think much about drinking. The thought sort of crossed my mind a few times, but it didn't take hold and start me obsessing like it might have, so it was a great day. I did find out that plastic bottles of sparkling water don't float very well-- they tend to tip over a lot, LOL.

I have started to notice something-- I'm still planning my life around my drinking times! We went out to pick up some food for dinner and even though it's boiling hot out there I thought that maybe I should stop for gas. Normally I'd do that because I wouldn't want to go back out to run any other errands once I got home and started opening bottles. But then I realized that I can go out later this evening and pump gas when it's not so hot out. It's another level of freedom that I've regained; the ability to do things I never could do during my drinking time without putting myself at risk.

Treefrog, you can come on over and warm up. I'll be wanting to come your way pretty soon for the cooler weather!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

I missed the email with your address!! I am glad it went well. Isn't the freedom of driving at night weird and wonderful?? I can't believe for 20+ years I planned my life around not being behind the wheel after the drinking started, sheesh what a lot of work being a drunk is!