Notices

How many of you became addiction counselors?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many of you became addiction counselors?

Just curious I was wondering how many of you ended up either becoming professional addiction counselors and/or therapists, social workers as a result of working through your disease and feeling either like you wanted to give back or something else?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Once I complete my current degree, I'm strongly considering completing the required courses to work in substance abuse counseling.

I got to do an 80 hour community based work assessment last year at a drug/alcohol counseling center, and I really enjoyed working there. I was just doing clerical work, but I did ask a lot of questions about the profession while I was there.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my job ... I occasionally get the opportunity to "give back"... if I get the chance to be involved in a more formal way, I will consider it.

Mark
Old 05-15-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

No way. I know a lot of people who gravitate towards counseling careers upon getting sober, but I'd rather my 12th step stuff remain an avocation.

(For the record, I'm working on an advanced degree and teaching at the college level)

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leprechaun

I am an Addictions Counselor and I love my job!

Peace,
Lep
Old 05-15-2009, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Leprechaun—

Tell me more! Why did you decide to end up doing it? Did you go to school? How long were you sober when you got into it?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i went to college for a year of a four year course.

I decided it wasnt for me........lots of reasons....

no regrets though........i trained for 3 months to be a trucker something i always wanted to do since i was a little.un.....and i love it.

when i was a kid id stand on the local road bridge.....and wave and when those big rigs went under my feet blasting there horns......it was a fantastic feeling....and i never forgot it.

now i look for the little.uns on the bridges waving and i give them a blast...makes mine and there day.!!

sorry unrelated but i thought id share with you.

trucker
Old 05-16-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
when i was a kid id stand on the local road bridge.....and wave and when those big rigs went under my feet blasting there horns......it was a fantastic feeling....and i never forgot it.

now i look for the little.uns on the bridges waving and i give them a blast...makes mine and there day.!!

trucker
I love that story
thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was twelve years sober, deeply involved in AA, when I became suicidal. I watched several people with many years of sobriety relapse, some were struggling as I was. I found a life coach, who kicked my behind in a way I had never experienced before. She was fabulous in supporting me to go beyond where I had become stuck in my recovery and life issues!
I decided that I wanted to help others in recovery, so I went back to school and got trained in Life Coaching and have not stopped, I have lots of schooling and experience now in working with people to change thoughts, which change lives!
I love my job! I love my life today!
~Cheryl
Old 05-16-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good deal kwigers! My cousin does that. How much does that cost?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm hoping to be a police officer soon, am applying now, and will definitely use my experience of addiction to help others.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've never been 12-Stepped by a police officer before!

This one time, I was in jail... and a guard said to me, "What's a nice guy like you doing in a place like this?"

Serious. True story.

I told him, "I'm not so nice when I drink bourbon."
Old 05-16-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Becoming an Alcohol Counselor after getting sober...

I worked on staying sober my first year...worked & went to meetings & counseling for my alcoholism & depression with separate counselors for each.

The second year I was sober I made the decision to finish my four year degree...I had completed an AAS Degree & went back to a local college for my BA Degree in Psychology. I worked half days cleaning houses & shopping for the Elderly, went to classes late afternoon & early evenings, had one child home that was a diabetic, insulin dependent...was a single Mom & attended at least three meetings a week...two at noon & one on Sunday evening.

I had no specific idea what I would work in but had my foot in the door already at Mental Health where I got my help for depression/anxiety & alcohol problem...so I got a job there working as a Mental Health Tech with the Elderly & after two years work experience & further training was promoted to a Geriatric Mental Health Counselor & worked with the Elderly in their own homes. There were many issues...Depression/Anxiety, Grief with a spouse dying or a divorce, behavior problems possibly leaning toward a dementia or Alzheimer's Disease, mis-management of prescription meds or not taking meds at all, & alcohol problems just to name a few.

Then I had an opportunity to go to Virginia/Washinton DC for training about "Prescription meds & other drugs used by the Elderly. All expenses paid + got my wages too while I was gone a week.

Then I had another week long training closer to home About Dual Diagnosis..a program for Mentally Ill Chemically Addicted clients...MICA. I did a group at the Alcohol Center with a counselor in the Alcohol Program...I did the Mental Health part & he did the Alcohol/drug part.

This job was just there & I qualified to begin with 10 years already of working in various jobs with the Elderly. I loved working with them & the fiesty ones were even more fun.

I am retired now but I would never have been able to do all of this while still drinking...I looked like I was going to drop over dead any time to friends that had known me for years. I had a beet red face from the alcohol allergy of always having alcohol in my system starting at the same time every day...I even smelled like alcohol the next day when I went to work ...how horrible to know this... a very hopeless feeling for sure.

I hope I covered everything you wanted to know. My sober life has ups & downs with my Chronic Depression...I still take medication for it and always will. But my accomplishments so outweigh anything else in my life except being sober...it always comes first.

kelsh
Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I actually HAVE had a cop take me to the side and offer to take me to a meeting, when I was on the streets, and still using He had a few years sober, but unfortunately went back out.

I've thought about becoming a SA counselor, but haven't made up my mind. I'm taking a similar course to what Freedom is taking and already have a degree as an RN, but can't do that, right now without jumping through some major hoops and expenses - consequences of my addiction.

I didn't realize there are 2-year courses available until someone here told me about them; I thought you had to have a 4-year-degree.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
I didn't realize there are 2-year courses available until someone here told me about them; I thought you had to have a 4-year-degree.
It depends on what state you live in. I was given a number to call in regards to required education for substance abuse counseling when I was doing the work assessment at the counseling center. Currently Kansas only requires an associate's degree, but that may change in the future. Now the lady who was the director of the center did have a bachelor's degree.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Not me.. My graduate degree is in Social Work, and I'm clinically licensed, but I would have no interest or desire in working in the alcohol/drug arena. I give back every day, though towards a much different population
Old 05-16-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
It depends on what state you live in. I was given a number to call in regards to required education for substance abuse counseling when I was doing the work assessment at the counseling center. Currently Kansas only requires an associate's degree, but that may change in the future. Now the lady who was the director of the center did have a bachelor's degree.
Here in Colorado people need a professional counseling (4 year) degree, and then have an option to take courses (around a year more of school) to become CAC Certified (Certified Addictions Counselor).

I guess it depends on what you call "counselor" though. A lot of people work in the addictions field, and while maybe not a certified counselor with a 4 year degree, are involved and helpful in a lot of other roles.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I looked into it once and decided not to do it for several reasons,one was I would have to go out of town for 4 years to school.So,like trucker,I ended up a trucker..and I love to watch out for the kids and hit the air horn for them too....

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
i went to college for a year of a four year course.

I decided it wasnt for me........lots of reasons....

no regrets though........i trained for 3 months to be a trucker something i always wanted to do since i was a little.un.....and i love it.

trucker
Old 05-16-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had been using most of my life. Along the way I got degrees in Communications, Geology, and a assistance-ship with a masters degree in micro-paleontology which I lost to my addiction. I was at a meeting about four months after getting sober when I suddenly realized why I am still alive; to help people like me, addicts/alcoholics. Although my education was outside the realm of psych, social work, or counseling I worked at the treatment center where I got sober as a counselor, not a therapist. I am taking another job closer to home in the same field which offers counselor in training. I will be certified when completed. I had wandered through life until I surrendered, from that moment on my life has not been the same. I can give back in many ways, counseling being one of them.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Never had a desire to do so. I do what I do for fun and for free, to quote Chuck C.

I do work at a non-profit treatment facility that has three out-patient facilities, a long-term residential program, houses the only publicly-funded detox facility in the county, and operates two transitional houses. But I'm just the maintenance guy. The cool part about it is that I can do Twelfth-Step work while I change the lightbulb.
Jim