Notices

Light at the end of this tunnel?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Light at the end of this tunnel?

How does this end? I have been on another "bender" that I cannot recall the length of, and woke up "hammered" today. What do I proceed to do? Drink more Vodka. I will probably proceed to skip all of my classes and obligations yet again, as I can't imagine achieving any level of productivity today. Any rational person would be able to see the clear insanity in my behavior, yet I still proceed for some unknown reason.

I am finally perhaps coming to the realization that I may indeed be powerless over alcohol...what an admission to have to make. I come from a long line of alcos...my dad nearly died from alcohol induced pancreatitis. I should see the writing on the wall. I have been warned repeatedly, yet I wanted to believe I could somehow be different. It appears the addictive mind will find every possible avenue by which to justify and rationalize the most insane behavior. I

To think so many people throughout history have had to suffer this affliction and ugliness...it makes me sad.

Meetings? Counseling? Cold Turkey? What routes have you all taken to help achieve sobriety?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, Polaris, the addictive mind is relentless.

Cold turkey from alcohol can be very dangerous. My suggestion is to talk to your dr and listen to his advice about how to proceed.

And, believe that you can accept you are an alcoholic and you can stop drinking!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would suggest seeing a Dr about withdrawing, if you have been drinking heavily for a long time it could be unsafe.

From your post, it seems like alcohol controls you...ruins plans for the day, tears things down around you. There's a way out...I think realizing that you can't beat it yourself is probably a good start.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Please see a doctor about detoxing, it can be fatal.

How does it end? Unfortunately in death for many many people, you're at a point now where you can choose to live. I hope that you get the help you need.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I read your other post from 2-09
where you decided to not have a supervised de tox.
I strongly suggest you do so this time.

Be both safe and sober
Welcome back....
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Always think positive alright so that you would never loose hope. Also, never give up and continue to believe in yourself for there are ways which can help you turn away from alcoholism. Goodluck and be happy always.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by polaris View Post
Any rational person would be able to see the clear insanity in my behavior, yet I still proceed for some unknown reason.

Meetings? Counseling? Cold Turkey? What routes have you all taken to help achieve sobriety?
welcome!!!

Alcoholism is a form of mental illness, IMO.

I would definitely see a rx before attempting to stop.

Myself, I attend meetings.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by polaris View Post
What routes have you all taken to help achieve sobriety?
I tried many things like doctors, anti-depressants, counseling, treatment, rehab, fear, willpower, self-knowledge, etc. and couldn't stay sober.

I took AA's 12 steps suggested as a program of recovery and got the results promised by that program of recovery. That solved the drink problem. I've seen it work for countless others as well.

What I didn't expect, nor was I seeking, was a way of life vastly more satisfying than I had known before.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How I did it.
1 Detox
2 Lots of meetings and did not drink between meetings
3 Find someone that I respect and admire from all the AA meetings I've been attending and ask them to be my sponsor.
4 Follow instructions.