Notices

Back again...

Old 05-04-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
maklay

Back again...

I've been clean for 4 great months. As alot of you know I struggled with many PAWS symptoms and finally had one whole month that felt like normal again. I've got mucho energy, I work out daily, and I'm starting to rock at my job again.

However, tonight reminded me of just how rough it could all be again. It started off as any regular beautiful day, I worked, was in a good mood, went to dinner tonight, came back had a good workout, took a hot bath and vegged out to watch some TV. I was laying down cool as a cucumber and a slight weird rush kind of came over me. Maybe a little dizzy spell with a touch of nausea. Soo SOO... a reminder of what I had been through just a few months ago. Then the heart started racing a little up and down up and down. I finally had to turn the lights out and be reeaaal quiet for a while and focus on breathing. Dang Anxiety/Panic Attacks

I'm fine now I think the worse is over... Did any of you go through this period where you think you're out of the woods and it sneaks up on you again. I was so thinking I had it all behind me. I will say this will help me to remember why I don't drink!!!

Guess I just needed to hear from others who's been through this part too....

Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Have you been stressed out lately? I read that PAWS symptoms can become worse when under stress. And yes, I get that crap too, out of the blue. Will have a great day and then just crumble into a ball of depression and anxiety. I try to do something positive to take my mind off it for a while and it usually goes away in a while.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
maklay

yeah I travel pretty much 5 days a week so that is fairly stressful, but nothing out of the norm. Everything has been going just fine, I don't even feel any anxiety or nervous. Just cool as can be and I'll just have an ole panic attack. They just start as I described in the first post.

Thanks for the post, helps when someone knows what your going through...
Old 05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmmm I'm only 5 weeks into it this time around. Last time I wen't this long I was 10 years younger,and it seemed a lot easier.
I am 48 years old and have not only had to deal with anxiety, I have also had severe headaches, muscle aches and joint aches. I feel I have aged 10 years in the last few weeks. But every now and then I have a good day, today was one of them. I have had times when I absolutely couldn't concentrate. But what I am having now isn't a drop in the bucket to what I felt that first week.
Iduno but I don't think I will soon forget how I felt those first few days, but 3 months from now I might loose concentration
Perhaps you should think about how much better you feel than when you first started this. I know it helps me
Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
maklay

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
Perhaps you should think about how much better you feel than when you first started this. I know it helps me
...good idea and oh so true...
Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Panic attacks are not in my history
I remember how you struggled earlier.

Welcome back....well done on your sober time....
Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey - I can completely relate to what you are saying - I am sober almost 19 months and anxiety still sneaks up on me! I had an experience like you described just the other night. I talked to my doc. about it, and he said it may be totally unrelated to drinking, other than the fact that I may have been anxious for years, but "medicated" it with a couple of drinks every night.

I can't believe how well you described the feelings you had - man, you could have written that for me! When the feelings come, and they have indeed lessened more and more the longer I am sober and the length of time in between the feelings has lengthened, I just tell myself that it's a part of my life, nothing to be afraid of, and if this is the worst thing that happens to me today, I'm in pretty good shape! It took me the better part of 17 months of sobriety to get to the point where I can say that to myself and get even a tiny bit of comfort out of it, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Also, one other thing that helped me a lot was talking to my doc. about it and getting a complete physical and blood work. Not that I thought anything was wrong with me or that I think anything is physically wrong with you, but it's one less thing to worry about when the anxiety comes! It's great to be able to say to myself "Hey, the doc gave me the all clear - this has to be anxiety and that can't hurt me". Also, there are common suppliments that you can take to help with calming - magnesium and calcium being just two - but you have to get the dosage from your doc.

Anyway, hope this helps. Sorry you are experiencing this, but I'm glad you shared it. Alwways good to know we are not alone on any part of this journey.

Jomey
Old 05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
maklay

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
Hey - I can completely relate to what you are saying - I am sober almost 19 months and anxiety still sneaks up on me! I had an experience like you described just the other night. I talked to my doc. about it, and he said it may be totally unrelated to drinking, other than the fact that I may have been anxious for years, but "medicated" it with a couple of drinks every night.

I can't believe how well you described the feelings you had - man, you could have written that for me! When the feelings come, and they have indeed lessened more and more the longer I am sober and the length of time in between the feelings has lengthened, I just tell myself that it's a part of my life, nothing to be afraid of, and if this is the worst thing that happens to me today, I'm in pretty good shape! It took me the better part of 17 months of sobriety to get to the point where I can say that to myself and get even a tiny bit of comfort out of it, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Also, one other thing that helped me a lot was talking to my doc. about it and getting a complete physical and blood work. Not that I thought anything was wrong with me or that I think anything is physically wrong with you, but it's one less thing to worry about when the anxiety comes! It's great to be able to say to myself "Hey, the doc gave me the all clear - this has to be anxiety and that can't hurt me". Also, there are common suppliments that you can take to help with calming - magnesium and calcium being just two - but you have to get the dosage from your doc.

Anyway, hope this helps. Sorry you are experiencing this, but I'm glad you shared it. Alwways good to know we are not alone on any part of this journey.

Jomey
That helped, thanks for the words of encouragement!! Makes me feel like I ain't alone...
Old 05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You aren't alone, bud. Keep in touch, ok? What you and I are experiencing is so similiar, like I said, I hate that someone else is feeling it, but it's cool to be able to talk to someone who knows what I'm saying. Take care! Jomey
Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

You aren't alone. In fact, I think you're in pretty good company!

I'm terrified to think that I could be out of the woods. Seriously. I feel very strong in my sobriety, but like you said....it can just sneak up on you. To combat that feeling, I try to stick pretty close to SR....usually someone is posting something pretty closed to what I am feeling. Glad you are here.