Notices

1 week

Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face 1 week

Well its been a week since I drank. Last night my brother stopped by and his friends came over (we all have know each other for years I have drank with them many times) and they all drank and although I kinda felt like a drink at first it was fine after a while. I actually had fun without drinking. I am going to an AA meeting tomorrow at noon most likely, if not at noon then at 7 pm. I feel ok, just kinda all over depressed and anxious. People keep telling me oh your not an alcoholic you just shoouldnt be drinking right now while your going through such a horrible divorcebc it gets you depressed...Im just trying to focus on one day at a time right now though. Hope you all had a good weekend!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good for you 33!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Serenity33!
That was not an easy situation that you made it through. Alcohol may relieve stress for a few moments but it always increases them dramatically, especially if you drink a lot.

It really irks me when other people try to tell you are not an alcoholic if you are trying not to drink. I see a lot of people who have decided not to drink on a regular basis. What I have discovered is that there are quite a few people that realize they have a drinking problem before it becomes dramatically obvious to everyone. I wish that I had stopped much earlier before my problem was blatantly obvious to everyone else. Things would have been much easier if I had.

The meetings are a wonderful place where you can meet others who understand the problem that have similar experiences to your own. I wouldn't have survived without people to talk to that understood. The support system of AA is second to none, so many people willing to help.

Glad you are doing well!!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations.....
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Congratulations Serenity. A meeting is good. Get some numbers from people.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You've done fantastic, Serenity, especially as other people were drinking around you last night.

I found it really hard at first to be around people drinking. Even now I don't go out for an evening if I know it's going to be just about drinking because I tend to feel a bit left behind at about the fourth or fifth round. Happily, this is apparently a common issue amongst lots of people who don't drink including non alcoholics!
It's not that I want a drink because I know exactly where that will take me and the truth is, that for me, it's just not worth it. I remember that always.

It's completely understandable for you to feel anxious and low in mood. You are going through a whole lot of stuff right now. Who wouldn't feel worried and sad? You're doing a really brave thing. Keep going!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

your not an alcoholic you just shoouldnt be drinking right now while your going through such a horrible divorcebc it gets you depressed
My divorce got me back in the rooms this last time. Well, that and the whole drinking thing.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your support
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats that's a great start!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Serenity33 View Post
Well its been a week since I drank. Last night my brother stopped by and his friends came over (we all have know each other for years I have drank with them many times) and they all drank and although I kinda felt like a drink at first it was fine after a while. I actually had fun without drinking. I am going to an AA meeting tomorrow at noon most likely, if not at noon then at 7 pm. I feel ok, just kinda all over depressed and anxious. People keep telling me oh your not an alcoholic you just shoouldnt be drinking right now while your going through such a horrible divorcebc it gets you depressed...Im just trying to focus on one day at a time right now though. Hope you all had a good weekend!
Congratulations...That is tough! I remember going to a bar the first time I tried to quit, and it had only been a few days..definitely not easy, especially when you see everyone else drinking. Good for you.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Detox/Withdrawals

Can I ask how much/often you drank and what were the first few days like? Need to stop and scared to death of detox..
Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Solice,

Check out Carol's thread on quitting from the Alcoholism section here. Excellent information.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was drinking 4-6 days a week...SOmetimes I only drink 3-4 drinks and then sometimes 2 bottles of wine. I never really had detox symptoms that were severe. I had a lot of anxiety the first few days, like bad, I had to take xanax just to sleep. I have been to AA almost everyday since. I have met some really nice people in the meetings. I would encorage you to do that. Even if you dont like one meeting, just go to another. It was hard for me, it is still very hard for me. I have a lot of family and friends who drink so its hard to be around it. I keep thinking, "Maybe I can drink normal again" But im so afraid to drink and the fear enough keeps me away.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
JJB

Congratulations!

Congratulations on one week. That's really great and i really admire you being able to sit with other people drinking. That is something i just can't do and i tend to avoid any situation where i know there will be alcohol as I know i will be obsessed by it even if i succeed in not touching it. When i told my doctor that my husband couldn't believe that i was an "alcoholic" he said it was because people who are close to you often refuse to accept this becuase it makes it easier for them.I think too it's because so many people still have a very steretyped and wrong image of what an alcoholic is . I think if more people understood about the disease it wouldn't be so difficult trying to get help.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

12 days and counting....... been trying to go to a meeting everyday
Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Brilliant!

Keep going!