Notices

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does it end?

Old 04-21-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does it end?

Hi,

I am 26 years old, I work a good job, and have a girlfriend. However, I am worried about my drinking and shaky hands

Background
-Have drank alone on weekend nights since age 14. I drink till I am passed out. I honestly enjoy this.
-Love to drink on weekends with my friends. Usually to excess.
-Last summer, during time off, drank every night for a week or so, this made me want to drink first thing when I got up. I just had this terrible anxiety and shaky feeling and felt the urge to take shots to ward it off.

Now, I am working and only drinking weekends....my life is fine except for that I always have shaky hands. I feel compelled to drink on weekends to get rid of this. It is embarrassing.

If I go 6 to 13 days without drinking, my hands still shake. If I stopped drinking for a few months...or all together, would this go away?

Has anyone else gone through this? I want my hands to not be shaky! Thanks. I am worried.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

It might have nothing to do with alcohol.. I would recommend seeing your doc to find out for sure. Might be withdrawal.. I personally never had shaky hands when I drank or after I quit.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...a doctor is the wisest move for you.
Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum....
Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've always had a problem with getting shaky hands if I was nervous or excited about something....but now they just shake even when I am calm and content. I cut caffeine out of my diet, but my hands still have a bit of a shake to them. I

I don't know if binge drinking on the weekends could cause this or have caused it
Old 04-21-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi Newbie and welcome.
I agree with the others that you should see a doctor about this as it could be something unrelated.
In my experience shaky hands went away after the alcohol was out of my system in a few days but everyone is different.
It wouldn't hurt to stop for a month are so and see if it goes away but if I was you I would see a doc and discuss it honestly with him.
Good luck.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Did they shake before you ever had your first drank
as a teen?
....You said you always had this problem.

If you think drinking is making this happen
simply stop for 30 days and see if the shakes go.

The last 5 years I was an active alcoholic...I had
hand tremors often.....alcohol would make it stop.
This never happened to me after I quit drinking.

However ...only your doctor can tell you what damage
if any....your drinking is doing.

Please go find out....

Last edited by CarolD; 04-21-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-21-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Carol

I am glad I joined this thread.

I think that it may be a combination of alcohol and me being a high-strung person.

I went to a doc before for alcohol.

Like I said, over the summer I drank alot (my summer job was 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., so hangovers weren't an issue) and when I started to want drinks in the morning and felt sweaty and sick, I got scared. So I went to the doc and he said to chill out on the drinking. I did, but still on weekends.

I think I will make an appointment and let him know what is going on. I appreciate the support shown in this thread. I feel better having talked about it.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you soo much Newbie

I always have this problem I don't know if it will ever go away for me. Sometimes it has gotten to the point like today when I went to get cigerrets and the person at the gas station said I should call my parents because she was afraid for me. She has told me before that it looks like my body is trembling....

I've always shaked with bad nerves but drinkin only brought it out. The last time I detoxed I couldn't even hold a cup. When they gave me detox meds I had to ask them to set the little cup down so I could pick it up myself or else I would shake soooo much.

Its scary, I know how you feel and its terrible. And they always say here that age doesn't matter and they're right, but I'm 27 and its kinda scary to have these problems at this age.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Heres the most ridicules thing

I live right outside of Chicago and she doesn't even know my Mom. But she always remembers me because I shake. Crazy.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by newbie228 View Post
If I go 6 to 13 days without drinking, my hands still shake. If I stopped drinking for a few months...or all together, would this go away?
Aside from seeking a doctors care..which is tantamount IMO, why not have a goal of prolonged abstinence just to be safe. Other than that, stick around Sober Recovery and continue to get some healthy support for your healing journey.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

YES, see a doctor.

Just for me....I quit drinking (completely!) and the shaking stopped.

Welcome to SR.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

my hands shook for about the last year of heavy drinking. i was up to 2 bottles of wine and 1/2 a bottle of jack per night...every night. not to mention the xanax. after detox about 9 months ago, it took me about 3-4 weeks to stop the visible shakes. now the shakes (yes 9 months later) are very, very subtle but they are still there sometimes. it comes back to the amount of alcohol consumed and the damage done. all things (or most anyway) will heal with time.
When your ready to stop drinking - things will get better.
peace
Old 04-22-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think what you experience is called "withdrawal". It's a sign of a physical addiction to alcohol, also known as alcoholism. The amount you drink and the timing between drinking periods is unimportant. The shaking hands is important. See your doctor. Tell him everything. Start attending some AA meetings. It took about three months for my hands to stop shaking.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mine shook for as long as I can remember. It was much worse when I drank. Was told by a doctor I have a hereditary tremor, it's something that runs in the family.

Sounds like you drink a lot. All the friends I drank with when we were carefree irresponsible youths cut way down sometime in their twenties. I didn't.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would shake like crazy in withdrawal, but still shaking after 6 - 13 days is not something I ever experienced. Are you eating?

I would see a doctor.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A good friend of mine was allways shaky.
He has been drinking for 30 years and 3 months ago broke his hip.
He had to stop drinking (!!) and after 2 months the shaking slowly stopped .
He eats better now, looks better, sleeps better, has no hyperventilation and feels great !
good luck.