Notices

And here come my parents

Old 04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And here come my parents

1st: I've been sober over a year now.

Most of you know, I have a weird job that requires weird hours.

My parents do not recognize anything other than 8 - 5 Monday through Friday as a "real" job. Jobs outside of that just don't exist apparently. If you don't work those hours, you aren't working. I happen to work 5 - 2 the other way. Sometimes I have to leave the weekly family dinner to go to "work." Yes, I have to work every holiday because that's when people like my parents decide to go to the theatre.

They refuse to accept that what I do actually pays the bills. I'm just playing around. I don't work. I just "play" all day. Well, some of the things I have to do feel like work and yeah, you gotta pay for it.

Just a rant, directed at nobody here. Just had to say it. If your parents are crazy, feel free to write about it....
Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

*jumps up and down on chair waving hand*

I think my dad is the lesser of two evils when it comes to my parents and crazy.

My mom often invalidates me, my feelings, or things that I do, which thankfully I have learned to let roll off of my back 99% of the time.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to think that I led a charmed life as a child, but my father ignored me from age 9-19. He was drunk on the back porch and let my Mother parent us. I would rather have been yelled at.

My Mother is an amazing human being. Even though she enabled my father all those years, she did the best with what she had. Today she is so incredibly wise, thoughtful and I love her with all my heart. My Father has done his best the last few years to be the best person he can be. He is still drinking but he is making an effort with me, but I am not very close to him. Those 10 years make it hard for me to be close. He loves my children though. Anytime he comes to visit he stays sober while he is here (that is part of the boundry that I have). I'll take what I can get from him. Life is too short for me to hold grudges, but I can't change who I am.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

OMG, roflmao.

We NEVER and I do mean NEVER meet our parents expectations for us. I had my own business, I had employees, I had gone back to school to get my LPN license. Yes, I sometimes worked 60 to 80 hours a week, but it was rewarding to me and more than just monetary. All I heard was how much 'better' I could be doing. Apparently what it really was is that my job, my business (In home care of the terminally ill and totally incapacitated) did not have 'prestige' at least not enough for them.

You know what it was their problem, not mine. Same with your folks. A simple answer, repeated every time they start on this subject is:

"Thank you, I will take your opinion under advisement." Than change the subject. Eventually it will get through to them, that they are no longer getting 'a rise' out of you.

Remember, 'what other people think of you is none of your business or concern' (that includes parents, lol) only what HP and you think of you is.

J M H O

Enjoy your career, I know you LOVE it!

Love and hugs,
Old 04-20-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my Mom thinks that anybody ought to be able to pull themselves up by their bootstraps; I am usually a total embarassment to her. She is a workaholic and only cares about what others think of her, so she distances herself from me. I have let these resentments fester at times, but I am working a program with a sponsor today and i will not drink today, no matter what.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I left my parents home at 17
I did not consult my parents about a darn thing.

Neither did my 3 ....perhaps it's a family tradition!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's the worst part about it and so many hundreds don't get it. I have a job. Sorry you don't get it.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My parents aren't that bad, but they do have their moments... I agree with the "I"ll take it under advisement" and changing the subject. Sometimes that's all you can do. Sorry your parents are so stubborn and all...

I did have to get my dander up when my eldest announced her engagement (to a great guy) and my parents had a fit that her musical career would be derailed. I made it clear to them that it was my daughter's life and that she was in charge of it and if they didn't like it they could cut her out of their lives. They never said another word against her decision to get married! Imagine that!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

hi Tex
It`s a good thing you have nothing to prove to them about your job,just do it and enjoy it.It`s up to them to accept you as you are.I`m just glad to hear you have a job buddy
Old 04-20-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

My parents are retired. I work 9-5. They still don't understand why I won't answer the phone during the day.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for letting me get that off my chest. When what you do doesn't fit in with someone's ingrained memory of "work" it can be so frustrating. I've learned to manage my money, I've learned to save.

I should start a shell company and give me a check every two weeks. I'm an old guy...why do I even care what my parents think anymore?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post texas

I moved out of my parents house when I was 17. They are both alcholics but my dad can be evil sometimes. Now Ive had to move back in with them, its a duplex and they let me live in one of the apartments. But I don't think they will ever respect me like they do my brother.