Notices

Alcoholic Brain during Relapse

Old 04-21-2009, 02:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

It has been documented that it takes an alcoholic/addict 2-4 treatments before they maintain long term sobriety
Not true for me...........I did one treatment went to AA and have not drank since. Thats since april 21st 1998 to april 21st 2009...............11 years today
Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe some people want recovery but only after relapsing again and again will it sink in that they CANNOT DRINK, EVER.

And that is a big thing to come to terms with...maybe too big, which is why, although we have to accept it, we then DO IT a day at a time. It requires a certain duality of thought, at least for me

and that's the *easy* bit - then we move on to the Matterhorn of discovering why we drank and what to do now we don't, yep

happy birthday again Nelco LOL

D
Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

and that's the *easy* bit - then we move on to the Matterhorn of discovering why we drank and what to do now we don't, yep

D
True.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

stone
Maybe some people want recovery but only after relapsing again and again will it sink in that they CANNOT DRINK, EVER.
with that said...

do their loved ones have to go along for the ride?

bottoms up!

the misery is refundable!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Man I sure hope that isn't true....Matterhorn? For me it is about powerlessness and seeing that through my ego is my Matterhorn. I look forward to letting go of the rest of it.
Originally Posted by queenteree View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is, I know when someone is in recovery and they relapse, they go back worse than they were before. But if they chose to go back into recovery, how quickly does that come back. I don't know if I'm making myself clear, but if anyone understands what I'm trying to ask, and cares to share, I would appreciate it.
It was back when he picked up the drink again. This brain stuff you are talking about is irrelevent to some of us queenteree. Ultimatems don't work either. Just do it.
:praying
This is the same thing I recomend to anyone who cares about me. No promises, no guarantees, you take care of yourself first and let me deal my stuff.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

queenteree...I'm sorry you are in such turmoil...I do honestly feel your pain. First off for me my drinking had nothing to do with my ego...and even less to do with being powerless..it was always a clear cut decision to drink...I never wanted to feel the discomfort of stopping for good. Your husband decided not to drink for 15 years...he can decide to do that again if he is willing...relapse is a choice...how quickly he decides to return to his "recovery" is up to him. I can say that I sincerely did want to quit for many years but the fact is that I was not willing to do what it took...only when the pain became unbearable did I take my recovery seriously. I wish you and your husband all the best...may you both find peace.