Notices

Quick question about...

Old 04-19-2009, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
angry potato

Quick question about...

I have a question about Librium. Chlordiazepoxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My mother is an alcoholic who has just relapsed. I believe that she had a drink yesterday (her speech altered slightly, her eyes and her attitude was defensive and paranoid) but she tells me that it was just the librium. She is sober now telling me this and I want to believe that it's the truth. Somehow though, I can never trust what she says when it comes to alcoholism.

I'm asking if anyone who has taken librium could tell me if these are side effects. That the drug could make you appear as though you had a couple of drinks.

I don't want to take her car keys away if she's trying very hard but then how do I know? Should I take them anyway?

Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

Side effects may include:
Confusion, constipation, drowsiness, fainting, increased or decreased sex drive, liver problems, lack of muscle coordination, minor menstrual irregularities, nausea, skin rash or eruptions, swelling due to fluid retention, yellow eyes and skin
Found this on healthsquare.net hope it helps.... :ghug
Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

l used librium.
It indeed did have the effect as though l had been drinkng.
l once went to work when l had used librium and everyone thought l had been drinking.
l don't want to use it anymore.
So it could be a side affect.
and driving a car after using librium is NOT a good idea..

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Indian Proverb
Old 04-19-2009, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
and driving a car after using librium is NOT a good idea..
In fact if you get pulled over under the influence of librium - even if you have a Drs prescription for it - the penalty is the same as a DUI.

As to the bigger question of did she drink or not, why not buy a home alcohol test?
Old 04-19-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on Librium right now for a home detox and it definitely does make you move and talk like you are a little drunk.

Its going to be tough tomorrow at work and I'm definitely going to have to avoid a lot of people but it is much better than Dthe alternative.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ridgeback Lover

Be careful with the Librium. It is addictive and it is a benzo. I took it at the hospital when I detoxed. If I had not been there I would have used up my 4 day perscription in a day and half and I'd be in mexico right now getting more.

Detoxing is life threatening and should not be taken lightly. I am in favor of medical supervision when detoxing.

Hope all goes well.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
angry potato

Thanks all. She's still drinking, getting closer and closer to rock bottom. Going through periods of acceptance then denial. Today is going to be a tough day for me. :praying
Old 04-21-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tk1fry View Post
Be careful with the Librium. It is addictive and it is a benzo. I took it at the hospital when I detoxed. If I had not been there I would have used up my 4 day perscription in a day and half and I'd be in mexico right now getting more.

Detoxing is life threatening and should not be taken lightly. I am in favor of medical supervision when detoxing.

Hope all goes well.
Thank you for the advice. I'm aware how quickly you can become dependent on any benzo, even a weaker one like Librium. I have been doing pretty good though and I am on day 4 of my detox and so far I've gone 4-3-2-1 each day respectively - not counting the one in the hospital and the Ativan IV.

I know home detox is usually not preferable and they wanted me to do inpatient but I'm feel like I'm doing ok and I hope to not have any Librium tomorrow or any other day. We shall see