Notices

Rough Week

Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Rough Week

Hi guys. I moved this past week. Moving is such a pain. Im having a really hard time with drinking. My aunt and cousins all came over and of course I ended up drinking one last night. I just felt horrible after. Today I just feel anxious and depressed about it all. I am going to attend a womens AA meeting tomorrow. I just feel like its so hard. Everyone in my family drinks and always have get togethers and it seems so hard to always have to avoid drinking. Im just bummed out. I feel like moving away sometimes. I just am having a bad day followed by a bad week
Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Hugs, I am sorry you are having a rough time right now. Have you talked to your family about your alcoholism? Drinking is also a huge part of any family functions I go to but I have made it clear to everyone I won't be drinking and they are very supportive and in a way it holds me accountable. It is different for everyone but for me I needed to completely stay away from anyone drinking for the first few months.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I am so sorry Serenity. That is rough. I am so very grateful that I do not have to be around alcohol very often anymore. When we are at my brothers, there is quite a bit of drinking but I just leave as I feel the party taking that "turn". Ya know what I am talking about? When you start noticing people gettin that buzz on. That is when I take my leave. It makes me uncomfortable and nervous. I don't miss it anymore but I also am not comfortable around drunk people either.
Does everyone or anyone know that you don't want to drink anymore?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My mom knows I have a drinking problem, she thinks I need to not drink until I am over the divorce and in a better place in my life. I think I need to just not drink anymore at all. I just want to cry. Everything in my life is falling apart. My divorce, I cant find a job, I just feel so overwhelmed and alone.,
Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Going to a lot of AA meetings helped me immensley in early sobriety.

I also found a job once thru an AA member.

Good to know you are starting fresh...
Old 04-20-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

see the next message.

Last edited by joedris; 04-20-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: duplicate message
Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Serenity, Will you please stop with the tomorrow business. Go to a meeting today. Now!
You don't get sober by intending to go to a meeting. You get sober by going.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going to a womens AA meeting at 7...Im nervos
Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you! Please let us know how it went.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Serenity, you are not alone, I promise you.

I think it is so good and brave of you to admit that you are overwhelmed and alone. I have felt this way for two years and knew that the drinking only made things worse. I also know that some people will take advantage of your vulnerability, especially people who drink often because that is what they do when they are down, drink. So I think it is very good to share these thoughts here and at a meeting where people do understand.

One thing I have found very helpful is Eckardt Tolle's youtube videos: over and over again, I have listened to his advice on staying in the present rather than living in my daily fear about tomorrow. All we have is today and tomorrow is just another today: so we might as well enjoy it (our today) as much as we can. This thought helps me to keep from being so overwhelmed that I feel I need a drink to survive.

I also avoid drinking people when I feel too low or too high or excited because now I know those are dangerous times for me as far as drinking goes.

Again, you are NOT alone: look to those around you today and reach out.