Notices

skinny legs and arms

Old 04-11-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

skinny legs and arms

I've been sober six months now but I still have that awful alcoholic body look with the skinny arms and legs. Any ideas how to "fatten" up those areas but not put weight on around my waist?

TIA
Old 04-11-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Weight train maybe. Don't think you can target areas for weight gain through just fattening up, it's down to your genetics where your weight goes.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Arm and leg exercise can put muscle mass on those areas. Give it a try.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
problem with authority

As others have said...weight training. Don't know if you like to or can work out. It took me a long time in sobriety to develop anything resembling a routine at the gym. It's still 2 steps forward, 1 step back with both diet and exercise. I have started taking strength training and cycling classes at the gym. Like with my sobriety, maintaining it is much easier when I am with others. I also had to be content with starting where I'm at and not thinking about the beach arms I used to have, the six pack (abs) I used to have. Now I work out so I can feel comfortable moving through the world, not to look good.

I did find, however, that after a time of doing weights, that I was putting on much more weight (to lift) than I ever did when I was drinking, no matter what shape I was in.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Yup weight training should help bring those arms and legs up to size. Now just don't go falling into the trap of thinking of working only with curls and for gods sake those dam leg extensions that that should make them grow. You gotta train the whole body. As a old saying goes if you want bigger biceps do squats since that raises the natural production of testosterone in your body more then doing curls will do.

Here's one of the best books to check out. It's not a another rehashed copy of some bodybuilding advice. It's straight forward basic training designed to get you stronger and with it put on some body mass.

Amazon.com: Starting Strength (2nd edition): Mark Rippetoe, Lon Kilgore: Books

And for practical diet advice with no BS crash or fad diet this is one of the best books to check out.

Amazon.com: Power Eating: 3rd. edition: Susan Kleiner, Maggie Greenwood-Robinson: Books
Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My fiance's AS had really skinny arms and legs when he was finally convinced to go to the ER. The cirrhosis of the liver can really cause the muscles to waste and lose mass. Have you considered some of those protein shakes? I don't know if you have been to the doctor, but your protein and iron levels may be quite low.....

Good luck! congrats on the sober time!!!

HG
Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way to go on your sober time....

We do have a new Forum...check it out
you may find some info there

Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Good to see you again
Old 04-11-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would definitely encourage a check-up before doing anything to alter your diet or your work-out routine. The ultra-thin limbs with a normal to "generous" sized torso can definitely be a sign of malnorishment, which is not unusual in an alcoholic, even once you've been clean for a bit. I wouldn't recommend drastically changing your intake of vitamins or proteins just yet. If your liver has been impacted, your kidneys sometimes take a hit, too. And increased protein intake could just push them over the edge and cause more problems. Get to a doctor, they will do some basic blood work that will tell you SO MUCH!! If your metabolism and liver/kidney function are normal, then you can look into taking vitamin and protein supplements and hitting the gym.

More power to ya!!