Notices

Retired folks & DUIs

Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Retired folks & DUIs

I quit drinking a year ago, and retired 6 months ago.

Recently I've been reminded of the time I asked a retired former colleague what retirement was like.

"It's great" he said. "I get up in the morning and relax with the paper. Then I head out and do a little yard work. By then, my wife has got her 'honey-do' list for me. I run a couple of errants at the store. I get home, and before you know it, it's Happy Hour. So I head into the kitchen to pour myself a Gin & tonic. I look up at the clock... and it's 10:30 in the morning!"

The weekend I retired, I went to visit my long retired aunt & uncle. He said: "No, drinking and retirement don't mix." He wished that he had quit drinking like me before he retired 25yrs ago.

Recently my wife was remarking at the high number of DUI reports in our weekly local paper. There are also a high number of upper middle class retirees here. Sure enough, we are finding out that the two are related.

Not sure if this relates to anyone here, but I have found it an interesting thought to ponder.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Paul, congratulations on your year!!!!! That is awesome!!!!!

Now, as to retired folks and DUI. I live in an area where many 'snow birds' have come to retire.

My state has a big DUI problem (and yes having many Native Americans helps to keep it high, not being derogatory here, as I too am Native American, lol but that is another story). As to there being a lot of retirees getting DUI's doesn't seem to be that, but many of them do have alcohol problems. Know this just from talking with my doctor.

Yes, I am retired, lol, disabled, lol and many years sober. I know for me, I like not having to get up at a Set Time (except the dogs do wake me to go out, lol). I love being able to volunteer where I want, ie at the Animal Shelter and the Rescue Mission are two of my favorites. I finally have the time to read books on my "want to read" list, lol

Retirement, like life, is what I make of it.

I think you and your wife will enjoy it very much!!!!!!

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I think we elders need to realize that with age...
our reactions slow down ...eyes are not keen anymore
and there will come a time that
driving is dangerous to others and ourselves.

This week I was waiting at a DMV office for a friend
to acquire a duplicate to the one she had lost.

Here comes a lady of maybe 70 with an adult Grandson.

She failed the eye test completely...with and without glasses.
She was given a form for her doctor to fill out
and instructed to bring it back....before she could re-new.

Grandson was nodding in agreement with the official.
Geez! ...she was totally insensed
Yelled loudly that she was going to drive anyway
and left.

I have no idea if she was a drinker or not
but I'm glad she did not live in my town....

My solution to not being able to drive safely?

I moved into town...depending on my AA friends and
my son to assist me. I also take the very limited
bus provided for a sense of independance.

...Sorry Paul I drifted off topic somewhat!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not retired, but am disabled and not able to work so I have a lot of time on my hands. It's sometimes hard to keep myself occupied, and yes, the thought of drinking crosses my mind as 'something to do'. I know where that would lead me, so I resist the urges and find something else to do. I help out my pregnant daughter a lot and will have even more to do once she's given birth.

When the day comes when I'm no longer able to drive I will 'hang up my hat', so to speak, and not be a menace on the road. I also help my mom sometimes, tho she can still drive herself, but the day is coming when she won't be able to drive herself. Then it will be up to me and bro to take her places.