Notices

Campral. A new start I hope

Old 04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campral. A new start I hope

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to share with you all that today I took my first major ( IMO) step to getting help for my alcohol addiction. I had my first meeting with a psychiatrist, with whom I have been trying to get into see for the longest. I devulged everything about my addiction and family problems which I have never been able to do before. This lifted such a burden off of me. I think that me trying to save face has gotten in the way of me trying to obtain the help that I need. For a long time I have known that I have lost control over my drinking and need some extra well needed help. Anyhow, I talked everything through with the Dr today and he prescribed me Campral and ordered some test to make sure that there isn't any damage to my brain or body :praying. Im so glad that I discovered this site. I have no one in my immediate friends or family circle that I feel comfortable discussing my battles with. I am curious to know if anyone else has been on this medication and what has been your experience with it. All comments & feedback are greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ms.

That's great! I'm so happy for you! Please keep us posted on your progress. SR is a great place!

Love,

Lenina
Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will. I just pray that god grants me the strength to get through this and that I become a better person :praying
Old 04-06-2009, 10:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know you can come here to SR and post anytime you need support. These are some great people here who understand and have their experience, strength and hope to share.

You won't be judged. Most of us have been there and done that so we know how it is. I really recommend reading the stickies at the top of the forums. Lots of good advice and information there.

Good to see you!

Love,

Lenina
Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....

No, I did not use Campral for cravings
I was sober before it became available.

There are members here who have..
I'm sure they will be sharing with you

Glad you are seeking answers....Sobriety Rocks!

Last edited by CarolD; 04-07-2009 at 02:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Ms,
Glad you are here and posting. The good news is that recovery is a reality you can have! Asking for help is a big step that took me a long time to take but when I did I found that I could stay sober too. This is a great place to chat and get help from others with the same problem who really do care. Please stay in touch!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi MS

I was on Campral for a period, and thought that is was doing what it claims. I had no cravings for alcohol.

However, I am a man (good or bad) and noticed a total lack of sexual function. I stopped taking the evening dose, figuring I won't get cravings while I was asleep. Not much changed, so I gradually weaned myself of it. Still no change.

I have been sober for 5 months now, been off Campral for 1 month, and still do not have any cravings. Now I am not sure if the drug works, if it's done its job, or if I am weird.

THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION TO STOP, ON THE CONTRARY STICK WITH IT. IT IS JUST AN OBSERVATION.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Campral did not work for me. But Naltrexone worked great. The problem is you have to WANT to take Naltrexone every day instead of drink. So, now Naltrexone is offered as an injection every 30 days called Vivitrol. It will work.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Campral helped me with the cravings. It's also supposed to help restore the brain's normal chemistry.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi. First post-- just joined. I've been on Campral for about a week now, and it seems to be reducing the craving for the drink. I tried it for a few weeks last summer, but a beach vacation pushed me off the wagon.

I am a guy, and I have to say that, fortunately, there hasn't been much effect on the libido.

Good luck with it!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It did not work for me, however, I do do know a few people who it helped quite a bit.

tib
Old 04-07-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Since I didn't try without the Campral, I don't know if it's doing anything or not. I'm just glad I'm not drunk right now, so I'll keep taking it!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I didn't take anything when I quit.. I hope it works for you
Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
9/15/08

Campral worked excellently for me. Took the edge off and made cravings easier to ignore. Got me past the "chew my own arm phase".

Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Chef1973.....
Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

my doc briefly mentioned it at my appt today but went w/ ativan and zoloft added to my meds. that and tons of meets, and counselling. Good lucky to ya hun.. This is a long , hard journe that many of us must walk. The good news is that we have to make the decision to talk the walk to sobriety, but once we make that decision we're not alone.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was on Campral for some time and can't honestly say if it worked or not. I had gone through rehab and regularly attend AA meetings so my lack of desire to drink could be a result of that or Campral, but most likely a combination of both. The literature on Campral and Revia (Naltraxon) both indicate a much higher success rate in studies if the person taking the drug also was in a recovery program such as AA. Viivitrol, the injectable form or Revia, runs about $800.00 a pop and few insurance companies will cover it.
Anyway, best of luck in your sobriety. Just take it one day at a time.