Notices

Need some serious detox advice.....

Old 04-04-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some serious detox advice.....

Guys -- I need help.

My 3rd day in detox turned into my 0th day in detox. We all know what that means...

I guess my drinking has progressed to the point that many of the physical symptoms I told Larry I did not experience, I actually do experience. I literally felt like I was going to die. Panic. Panic. Panic.

So here is my brief synopsis and my question....

I've been to 4 treatment centers in 2 years. Each offered a medical detox with Librium. I also successfully detoxed last January cold turkey; no Librium. That was my latest detox.

Obviously, my drinking has progressed because I am now experiencing symptoms I did not experience just 3 months ago.

My doc refuses to prescribe Librium for an outpatient detox because my BP is so high, yet I cannot afford inpatient treatment, even just 4 days of detox. Ergo, my dilemma.

I'm 42 years old and about 50 pounds overweight. During each of my detoxes, my BP skyrockets to the point that the docs pump me full of Clonadine, which does the trick.

What are the odds of having a stroke during detox?

My doc actually advised me to keep drinking until I can detox under medical supervision, which I can't afford. She advised this in order to keep my BP from rising too high and causing a stroke.

Larry, et al, did you detox under medical supervision? Is it normal to panic and feel like you are going to die?

Thanks in advance.

/RHN
Old 04-04-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Panic is common during detox, as is high BP. Medical treatment during detox is an option, which is what you are asking for. Medical supervision during detox is a bit more involved and evidently not an option.

I would get a new Dr. if I were you, or at least a 2nd opinion.

Do not do this cold turkey - alcohol detox can kill you.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I have been in a couple detox centers and detoxed in 3 rehabs and my blood pressure was high of course but not really bad at all consider. Sounds to me like you better listen to your doctor or like dgillz said get a second opinion.

I don't know what normal is but yes I need librium or I will not stop.

I also managed to taper off in the past but that is almost impossible for us alcoholics to do. I'm not recommending it I'm just making the obvious point that the less you are drinking leading up to the day you stop the safer and easier it will be.

People do die from this.

PS. glad your still hanging around here with us.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In many areas ....the Salvation Army has free de tox facilities.
Many ER doctors are aware of how to de tox people.

Have you read this?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

hope you can find answers to your situation

Last edited by CarolD; 04-04-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Larry, I mean medical treatment, not supervision. I'm experienced enough with detox to supervise myself as long has I have Librium. Sounds kinda funny coming from an addict like me. :-)

Larry, in your current detox, did you have a benzo to help or did you quit cold turkey without meds? You and CarolD are my guides here. Everyone says don't detox without meds, but what if there is no option?

I can't keep drinking and -- according to my doc -- I can't stop drinking. Perhaps Carol's idea of using the Salvation Army is a good one.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

/RHN
Old 04-04-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, had a similar experience. High blood pressure, no insurance, extreme anxiety during detox. BP was as high as 210/160 so it was good I was in a medical setting. I felt it was out of my hands as high blood pressure feeds anxiety, and the anxiety was contributing to the high blood pressure. Insurance should be the least of your worries right now. I am still looking at medical bills but arrangements can be made that are workable.

After realizing the seriousness of my detox on the other side I have to wonder if my feelings of panic and fear of dying was in fact an indication that maybe my thoughts weren't so far off. Having insurance or lack thereof won't make a bit of difference if your dead. Please please get help with this and don't let lack of insurance be the deciding factor.

Amy
Old 04-04-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I couldn't do inpatient either. I've detoxed every way possible, but the only one that stuck was a medically assisted one. My doctor would only give me Librium if I moved in with my parents for a week and had them administer the drugs. She didn't trust the addict in me.

Figure out any way to get medical help.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Depending on where you live, you should just be able to go to the ER. They will take your vitals and you can tell them that you are in withdrawal. I live in VA and the ER has to treat. Once you are stable, there should be something like a community services board who can evaluate you and get you into detox. When I was in detox at the hospital, most of the people that I was in there with did not have insurance and they went through the ER.

Alcohol withdrawal is serious.

Zeke
Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are 3 main stages of withdrawal and the symptoms and timeframes for each. I attempted to post a link to a site that explains them but I'm not allowed since I don't have enough posts.

If you google CIWA-AR and click on the first link, a chart will come up that basically allows you to rate your withdrawal symptoms and what the likelihood of reaching the next stage without benzos is.

The main concern for you, though is high BP. I would go to the ER.

Zeke
Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by rhnorment View Post
You and CarolD are my guides here.
Carol and I aren't Doctors so don't do that.

One other suggestion is VOA, Voulunteers Of America. They have substance abuse detox centers for free.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You and CarolD are my guides here.
and we both say....see a doctor.
That's the best way to go for anyone.

If you are a Vet....call the nearest VA hopstial
about finding their closest facility for alcoholism.
You also have resources by asking a service offcier
found in local chapters of the DAV...Am. Legion..VFW

Hope our shares are useful...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

l found that it is almost impossible to detox without medical attention.
Don't go cold turkey, that indeed might kill you.
l did it with librium for the first 3 days.
Could not have done it otherise.
Wish you good luck and l mean that, because l know how terrible it is.
On the other hand, this could be the last time you have to go through this.
Your choise.

QUOTATION: An inch of gold can not buy an inch of time.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

rhnorment I hope your not reading this. I hope you are Detoxing in a safe environment right now. If you are here that is ok your doctor did tell you to keep drinking until you got there. As you can see there are people here willing to give good advice. I have recently learned myself the importance of listening to others. It's easy to look at other peoples situation and see the answer but often for me it is hard to see the nose on my face. I go to AA meetings every day now and listen to people who can be objective and tell me the truth. Not what I want to hear. I go to myself in trouble hearing only what I wanted and doing things too much my way.

If your still with us please check in and let us know how you are doing. You have some advice and you know what to do now go ahead and do it. I'll be thinking about you and you are in my prayers. Take care of yourself.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words, Larry.

Well, I am going to see my doc again tomorrow. Hopefully my BP will be low enough that she prescribes Librium. If not, I will chose another doc. I've detoxed myself plenty of times.

Larry, you mentioned in your other thread that you experienced all those terrible, physical symptoms during your latest (last!!!) detox. Were you quitting cold-turkey, or were you on meds?

I keep trying to compare my drinking career to others' to assess my personal medical risk. I know that is the wrong thing to do, but it's tough not to. I have to believe the people that die during detox are the ones who have been drinking sunup to passout for decades. My drinking career is not long, so I keep using that as an excuse to quit cold-turkey if I have to.

I'll update this thread after my appointment.

/RHN
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, I just picked up my Ativan for detox. Finally got the medicine I need to detox safely. No more excuses for drinking.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this thread.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please make this the last time you have to go thru this hell. It never gets better, only worse. I was a chronic relapser and I know. Make this your last detox ever.:ghug3
Old 04-09-2009, 11:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with least, I was also a chronic relapser and everytime I got detoxed it was worse and worse everytime I had too goto the mental hospital to get detoxed.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Little late for this advice, but I'd say go detox and stay off of message boards until you do.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

question about high BPs

I am a little confused reading all the posts that say that quitting the alcohol can cause high BPs. My husband had been to his doc, and his BP was like 180/105, and he had elevated AST/ALT. He subsequently went ~35 days cold turkey (after previously drinking daily, anywhere from 4 beers to 10-12 beers, probably for at least 1 1/2 years). When he went back to the doctor, his BP was normal, around 120/70. he also did not experience withdrawal symptoms. Yes, it was a little harder to sleep at first, but that got easier. he also was going to the gym literally every night.
So my question is, does that mean he was not physically addicted to the alcohol? Can some people have been drinkers for years, then quit and not have withdrawal symptoms?