Notices

This weekend

Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This weekend

I've been kind'a debating posting for the past few hrs because I hate to post about every little thing. But this is something thats really gnawing at me all night tonight. I'll keep this short as I can.

Been sober this time for about a month now. Been doing good, actually real good but don't want to get over confident. Tonight my family left to go to a "family thing" around 7pm tonight. I couldnt go because I have too much work this weekend. So I am 100% alone and no one to answer to tonight&tomorrow. SO (see where this is going?) as good as I have been doing...not even 30 mins after the fam left my thoughts were "I could drink tonight or tomorrow and no one would be the wiser". I havent though and I am still stone sober because I know I would be the wiser. But it's been racing through my mind all night. And even though I dont try to think a day ahead, I know tomorrow is gonna be 24hrs of thinking alone.

So long story short guess what I am posting for is....I know the right answer, I know what to do....but I guess I need a bit of reassurance and help to keep my mind on the right track. Because I honestly want to do right for myself this time and this place is my main source of help so I just need to post this tonight. This is the first real weekend alone I have had sober this time so its kind of testing me a bit.

Thanks everyone

Steve
Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's times like these that determine whether you are staying sober for yourself or for others.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
where the light is

I went through many times like this in early sobriety. Getting through it - it's how we build strength & confidence.

Stay sober. You won't regret it.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Okay question because I can't find this and its actually startin' to PO me a bit. Honestly you would think this info would be easier to find on the AA website. But I'd like to go to a meeting during the day tomorrow so I'm looking online for meetings here in my area. Looking online it only shows about 8 meetings within a 20 mile radius of me on saterday. Now I know that can't be right

I type in AA meetings and look through the AA.org site for local meetings and it doesn't tell me much more than that at all. So where can I go to find all the local AA meetings near me? I know when I was going to AA back in 2001 I had a list of meetings and there were tons all around me at every hours of the day, but I don't have that right now to find any. So where can I find all the info on local meetings because unless I'm missing it the AA.org site kind's sucks lol

Steve
Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a little bit of an urge to drink today. All that I had to do not to drink was think about all of the negatives. If I drank, I would probably feel like crap tomorrow. I would put about 2,000 empty calories in my body. I would probably do some damage to my liver. I would get a crappy sleep. I would be bloated all day tomorrow. I would not be able to do my favorite sport tomorrow. After thinking about all of the negatives, my urge to drink passed. Hang in there.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

DayWalker,

AA doesn't even know how many groups are out there, let alone when and where they meet. Your best bet is to google "Yourtown, MI AA meetings". You'll find the local websites that do know the when/where.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

How are you today?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hope you're still hangin in there! Did you find a meeting? Once you get through today you'll be able to just chalk it up as another triumph, and I think as they add up, it only gives us more and more confidence and strength.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gold Member

To find a meeting, you could call the local AA hotline in your aria. Just a thought. Good going on trying to stay sober today!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here you go, this should help:

Alcoholics Anonymous : How to Find A.A. Meetings

Type in your state in the search box, and all the different areas will cone up. Click on your area.

Have a good day!

Love and hugs,
Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope you did the right thing.
l was 133 days sober and had excatly the same thoughts.
3 beers , who would find out ?
It took me 3 weeks to get "out" of it again.
You don't want to know what happened in those 3 weeks.
Lost the little bit of trust people were starting to have in me again.
It just isn't worth it.
Good luck and be wise.

The journey is the reward.
Chinese Proverb
Old 04-04-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mergirl

It helped me to think of that as the alcohol-shoulder devil whispering in my ear. I would laugh at him, show him no respect and banish him. I KNEW he did not have my best interest at heart.
Believe me when I say, most people here have had those EXACT thoughts. It gets better. The more you learn to shut that voice up, the less it seems to talk.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too remind myself of all the negatives, and there are so many. It's helped me a lot just watching the documentary Rain In My Heart. There's a link to it on this forum. Watch some of that, you'll forget about drinking.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.

I certainly hope you do too....
Old 04-04-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yep doing pretty good, haven't drank and don't plan on it today. Been just staying busy with work most of the day today. Took a little break from work this afternoon for about and hour and went for a walk in the nice weather we're having so feel a lot better and stronger than I was feeling yesterday.

Finally found a local list of meetings so pretty sure I'm gonna hit one in the morning before the fam gets back just to help keep my head straight.

Thanks