Notices

Cronic Relapser

Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Hughs Dad - thanks for letting us in on your life. All I know is that to change your behaviours, something has to change in your "soul". Whether you want to call this "hitting a bottom" or just the start of an individual spiritual journey, I don't know. I don't think you even have to believe in having a "soul" or to be religious in any way. But I think you have to "re-invent" yourself at a fairly fundamental level, otherwise the old Hugh's Dad will just repeat the cycle that you know so well. I hope this doesn't too much like I have got it sorted as I haven't, and I am only just beginning to make sense of things myself.

Really good luck

Deep Blue
Old 03-23-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hugh's dad, if you are someone's dad get sober for them as well. I was always telling my daughter I wasn't going to drink anymore and of course I always went back to drinking. In Aug. of 2007 I got drunk and overdosed on prescription meds, I layed in my home for 36 hours before God woke me up because my daughter sure didn't come looking for me-I called 911 and spent a week in the hospital with a hole in my liver. My daughter wouldn't even come to the hospital to see me. I was told I wasn't going to make it, I was denied a liver transplant "due to evidence of alcoholism", I called my daughter and told her-I don't think she believed me I'd lied to her about everything else. Well I did survive and my daughter did pick me up from the hospital and take me home but it took over a year before she started to believe that I would stay sober. I never realized how much my alcoholism affected her, I knew I embarrassed her some but I thought that was "all". She is now 28, married with children and she has difficulty trusting people partly because she couldn't even trust her mother. Your alcoholism won't ruin just YOUR life but alot of others.

J
Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sometimes I find it helpful to go back and read my old posts.. I read yours..you might find some motivation there too.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Leprechaun

There is no bottom till you are done, when you are done you will have reached your bottom. And from what you have said your not done.

Peace,
Lep
Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know Hughs Dad I wish I could tell you how to find your bottom, but I can't, my bottom was a moment of clarity when I knew that if I continued drinking I was going to lose every person and every thing material I had in my life and be left with a slow death from my alcoholism.

I can tell you that as others have said, sitting in AA meetings and not working the steps with a sponsor is a sure fire way to relapse for many.

When I came to AA straight out of detox I did just like they suggested in detox, I got a sponsor and commited myself to doing at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days. My temporary sponsor told me to get phone numbers of other men in the meetings and to make sure I called at least 3 every day.... this saved my butt from relapsing at about the 2 month point.

That almost relapse scared the heck out of me, I was white knuckling it for the most part anyhow, the only thing that was keeping me sober was will power, fear, meetings, & speaking to people in the program. The old timers who had what I wanted kept speaking of the "Solution" & that the "Solution" was by taking the steps honestly & throughly so I switched sponsors.

I found a sponsor that was willing to take me through the steps as quickly as I needed to go through them.

The steps were what led me to freedom, they were the solution for my problem, not only have I remained sober, but I am happily sober, the obsession has been lifted, today I have a daily reprieve from my alcoholism dependant upon the fitness of my spiritual condition.

Here is what I would suggest, get to meetings, find a sponsor willing to take you through the steps straight out of the BB at the pace you need, get phone numbers and call them daily. If you are willing to do what ever it takes to get & stay sober you can do so, if you are like me it will be hard as hell at first, be brutally honest with yourself, be open minded and willing!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I just keep reminding myself that I want to be sober more than I want anything else. My life has improved so much over the past year that I can't even believe it is mine and that I deserve it! The first couple months were so painful and everyday I wanted to drink. Like any addiction it will just keep calling you back but as time passes the voice gets fainter and fainter but I am pretty sure it will always be there and I must always know that my sobriety is my key to everything good in my life!
Wishng you well and big hugs of strength.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Been around AA since 1984, never got past Step 9, always did the Steps some wacky way but never out of the Big Book, chased after women and did the social thing. If I ever did stay sober, I was dry and miserable.

This time I got a sponsor who did Steps 1-3 with me, on my knees, the very first night, started on Step 4 and gave me a week to do it, did Steps 5-7 on my knees again and started on Step 8, had that done in a day. Started Steps 9-12 which is it from here on in.

Boom boom boom, hard vigorous work, the only break I took was an hour after Step 5. Now in just under 90 days I've got three sponsees on their inventories, started a new Big Book Thumpers meeting in my area, and am the happiest I've ever been, the obsession to drink is gone.

So I had to jump in and just do AA out of the Big Book, no goofing around with all this outside stuff, or dawdling on the Steps. That's how it works for me.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hughs dad View Post
What I do with AA is attend, listen, and share. Not to blame my sponsor, but he encouraged me to not rush the steps. I have never gotten past the 3ed. step. I think I need to find a new sponsor (again, me drinking again is NOT my "ex" sponor's fault) I just think a fresh start me do me good. The fact is a get quite a bit out of AA. I like the people, the topics, etc... What happens with me is I get two or three weeks under my belt and I think I'm cured. Or a good football game is on so I "have to drink". Or the Masters Golf Torney is coming up, or vacation, or really anything.... bottom line - I always find a reason to drink.

When I drink I become a different person. Once I start drinking after a long period off of drinking (for me 18 days is a very long time). My body craves it. It's like I can't drink enough for the first week or so... Once I start I stop working out, start missing work, eat like crap, smoke a ton, stop taking wellbutrin. After and extended period of time, I drink more and then start taking Adderhal... I do this for about two weeks, get kind of strung out and stop everything.

My next step is usually what I'm doing now. Post how I'm so sick of this life, tell my wife I'm done, read a bunch of addiction books and stay sober for 2 to 3 weeks. Then I start the cycle all the way over.

I HATE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hughs dad...all I can say is WOW. I have read many posts here but none has ever hit home and described myself as closely as yours. I'M JUST LIKE YOU. I have been attempting sobriety since last August...with my longest stretch being about two months. After that, I'd have periods of a few weeks sober, relapse, repeat. Each time something would come up, usually some kind of social event that I associated with drinking, and I'd use it as an excuse to convince myself that I "really didn't have a problem" and could drink. Like you, I seem to always find a reason to drink.

Ultimately for me, each period of sobriety begins after a binge...which normally only occur over the weekends. I drink immediately after getting off work Friday and straight through the weekend. I'm the poster child of self-destruction. Lately, like you, I have been becoming a completely different person. I'm mean to my friends, I'm emotional, I'm awful to my boyfriend, I do crazy/ridiculous things...I drive drunk without thought, I smoke (i'm not even a smoker!), i'm mean to my family...It's just so awful.

I'm normally addicted to working out...i go to the gym twice daily when I'm not drinking. Over the weekends or during a binge the thought never crosses my mind. (shocker!)

Like you described, I feel like I have two complete extremes. I think personally, I need to really ACCEPT that I cannot continue as I have been. I have never been to AA...out of fear and doing something outside of my comfort zone.

Feel free to message me any time...wish you the best.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks again. More great advice. I really appreciate it. I went to a meeting tonight and basically cried out, I want to work the steps and I want someone to help me with them. I got a lot of phone numbers and another person advised me of a workshop coming up. Next week there is a workshop that is suppose to take you through all of the steps. He said that by the end of it you'll definitely have a sponsor.

I think my major problem was I was doing everything I was suppose to do (except work the steps - which, turns out, is the most important aspect of recovery). I feel optimistic now. I want this obsession to be taken away. I want to stop living scared that any day I could pick up a bottle of knob creek and start right where I left off.

Today was day 3 and it was an up and down day. In the morning I felt fantastic. Got plenty of sleep, drank a lot of water this morning, made it to work early. I now feel verrrrrry tired and foggy. It's like my brain is hazy and I'm sort of "out of it". I've read a lot of the newbie posts and I know this is common.

I am going to go to another meeting tomorrow and keep checking in here. I think between AA, this website, my therapist I see once per week, and my wife I have plenty of accountability partners. It's now up to me to take action and work the program.

One last question, Can I start working the steps without a sponsor? Or should I just read the BB and wait for one to come along? I really want to succeed this time and really do feel like I will do whatever is necessary to keep sobriety.

Thanks again! I will check in tomorrow for sure.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hello all. I have been in and out of this forum for a few years now. I have also been in and out of AA as well. I started drinking at 15 and have not gone more than 15 days sober since (I'm 33). I have been drinking much more than normal over the past 6 months. I am currently drinking about 3 times per week. When I drink, I drink at least a half of a fifth of 100 proof whiskey. I have also started taking adderhal again. I am smoking up to a pack of cigs a day and eating terrible food. I'm in my early 30's and my doctor said my blood pressure was very high 109/145...

Basically, I am killing myself. Just 4 years ago I had a resting heart rate of 68 and fine blood pressure. I have gained 70 lbs over the past 4 years as well. It was about 4 years ago I really let myself give in to drinking. Not counting, allowing myself to get waisted, stopped exercising, etc...

Having said all of that, I still have not made up my mind to stop all together. For me drinking is a catalyst for all kinds of other bad behavior (spending money, smoking, taking speed pills, eating like crap, not drinking water, etc). Alcoholism is such a nasty thing. I mean, I know all I have to do is stop drinking and work out before work, take my wellbutrin, and everything else will take care of itself. But for some reason, I DO NOT DO THIS.

It's like I'm waiting to hit bottom before I can surrender. I have hit "bottom" many times but always continue. Cam someone please say something to me that will get through. I don't think I will see 40 if I keep up this behavior.

I want to be happy, but I can't let go of destructive behavior...

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you might die before you hit that bottom you are aiming for?

We've talked before via private message. If you decide you want to live, pm me and we'll see what we can do about hooking you up with some guys I know in Indianapolis.
Jim
Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

One last question, Can I start working the steps without a sponsor? Or should I just read the BB and wait for one to come along? I really want to succeed this time and really do feel like I will do whatever is necessary to keep sobriety.
You need to go up and ask someone who has what you want to be your sponsor to take you through the Steps immediately, you can't give yourself objective feedback and guidance.

Example:

"In actual practice, we usually find a solitary self-appraisal insufficient." -BB Into Action

Don't wait even a day to start working the Steps, it could kill you.