Notices

i like beer too much

Old 03-21-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i like beer too much

well its been a couple weeks since my last drink and i'm really craving a beer. But i am determined to stay sober because while i may be able to just have a couple beers and then stop sooner or later i'm going to have one of those moments where i drink too much and say things i don't mean. The me that can just relax and have a couple beers can't afford the other me who binges on beer. So i'm done with it. But i do crave it. I can go a couple weeks without even thinking about it but then like this weekend I really felt like a nice pint of lager.

for someone with a drinking problem i'm really picky about alcohol. I don't drink hard alcohol and i don't drink budweiser, miller, coors or any of that type of beer. I'm kind've a beer snob. I just like quality beer whether it's a domestic micro-brew or an import.

my roommate has a cupboard full of alcohol..everything from vodka to whisky to rum. There is no part of me that craves any of it and I would never pour myself a drink with alcohol.There are also loads of bottles of wine both red and white. I wouldn't touch any of it. All i like is beer.

so what am i ? a beer-a-holic?

i think i am weak when it comes to beer. I think sooner or later i will fall back into that mindset that i can enjoy beer moderately and then sooner or later i will have my once every 6 mos beer binge and do and say things that may hurt people i care about.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wallace, your post got me daydreaming about my favorite beer, NewCastle Brown Ale, wow, my mouth was watering, a little scary, I didn't realize I could get a craving that strong after more than 3 weeks of not drinking, I guess you can classify me as a beer-aholic too. I'm not going give in though, hope you and Phal don't either! Lynx
Old 03-21-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control....

all alcohol does damage to your brain and body.
It does not matter if it is wine...spirits or beer.
Or if you mix them up. Damage is done.

Sooo...sober is healthier...regardless...
Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

It's just your preferred form of alcohol.. beer/wine/hard stuff, doesn't matter really.

Since I got sober I found I like the taste of a lot of non-alcoholic drinks I had ignored! Horchata (mexican rice-milk), Cream Soda, Sprite on a hot day.. hot chocolate.. endless possibilities!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Horchata? Me I've turned into quite the sun tea freak- it's cheap, & my reawakened taste buds just LOVE it.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I googled Horchata, never heard of it, but it sounds pretty good. Do you buy it? or do you make it? If you make it, maybe you could post a recipe?
Thanks Lynx
Old 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
well its been a couple weeks since my last drink and i'm really craving a beer. But i am determined to stay sober because while i may be able to just have a couple beers and then stop sooner or later i'm going to have one of those moments where i drink too much and say things i don't mean. The me that can just relax and have a couple beers can't afford the other me who binges on beer. So i'm done with it. But i do crave it. I can go a couple weeks without even thinking about it but then like this weekend I really felt like a nice pint of lager.

for someone with a drinking problem i'm really picky about alcohol. I don't drink hard alcohol and i don't drink budweiser, miller, coors or any of that type of beer. I'm kind've a beer snob. I just like quality beer whether it's a domestic micro-brew or an import.

my roommate has a cupboard full of alcohol..everything from vodka to whisky to rum. There is no part of me that craves any of it and I would never pour myself a drink with alcohol.There are also loads of bottles of wine both red and white. I wouldn't touch any of it. All i like is beer.

so what am i ? a beer-a-holic?

i think i am weak when it comes to beer. I think sooner or later i will fall back into that mindset that i can enjoy beer moderately and then sooner or later i will have my once every 6 mos beer binge and do and say things that may hurt people i care about.
Have come to the conclusion that I liked the alcohol in the beer more than the taste of the beer itself. Had an uncle that drank nothing but beer, until he ended up on skid row. And died.

I am a recovering alcoholic.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

There are several recipes for it. Just use the googles. :P
Old 03-22-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am also a beer alchy, rarely did I drink the hard stuff. I get crazy cravings for beer (still in the early stages of recovery) the day I wake up and do not think about beer for 24hrs will be a great day, can't wait.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I use this one

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
5 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup white sugar
Directions
1Pour the rice and water into the bowl of a blender; blend until the rice just begins to break up, about 1 minute.
2Let rice and water stand at room temperature for a minimum of 3 hours.
3Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice.
4Stir the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar into the rice water.
5Chill and stir before serving over ice.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I use this one
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
Uh, you know that real vanilla extract contains 35% alcohol, and your recipe doesn't involve any cooking?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I do know there's alcohol in vanilla extract, it's typical to use a very very small amount as the flavor goes a long way. It seems the rare bird around here that doesn't know that, and I think we all differ on the "totally alcohol free" bit. I assume anyone that falls into that category would omit it if it's an issue. For a lot of us, it's not.. but I understand the 'correction'. Thanks John!

See what a mess I make when I try to be helpful and google for everyone. Lesson learned! I can't delete my post now, so thanks for the add'l info.

Anyone wanting to make a version without it, should obviously omit it. I know we all have differing opinions on atypical products containing alcohol, but I admit, I'm one of "those" who still use vanilla, I still drink orange juice, use listerine, and I can say I still boil my brats in beer, have enjoyed tiramisu .. I would imagine if anyone were cooking or preparing recipes differently they'd likely omit the ingredient (or any of them) they didn't want.

Last edited by flutter; 03-22-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: too wordy.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recipe, I had googled some recipes, but some didn't get good reviews and some involved using cinammon sticks (didn't have any). I have the rice and water soaking right now. I'm not to worried about the vanilla, might put a dab behind my ear though. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
so..I apologize to those of you not using any products that contain these scant amounts of alcohol
You don't have to apologize to me, until I got into recovery I had no idea that something as seemingly innocuous as vanilla extract contained a pretty hefty dose of alcohol. What brought it to my attention was the story from an end stage alcoholic drinking a bottle of vanilla extract, you may have heard the stories about drinking mouthwash.

JMO, I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject, the 'experts' really don't have a vast amount of research on the subject of brain/body chemistry, alcohol intake and alcoholism.

What most of us seem to agree on, is that any intake of alcohol beyond trace amounts is probably a very bad thing for a recovering alcoholic.

I probably wouldn't have said anything if your recipe called for a drop of vanilla extract, but it calls for 1/2 ounce of 35% alcohol-the equivalent of 1/3 shot of 70 proof liquor. A little more than a scant amount.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't get drunk with this recipe either, but my last time out, a five year road trip, started with 1 beer, and I didn't get drunk that time. And come to think of it, may not have made any difference if I took a couple of swigs of that beer and left the rest.

Last edited by sailorjohn; 03-22-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can get alcohol free vanilla extract. Doubt it would bother me anyway because there wouldn't be enough alcohol to get an effect. Also I wouldn't class it is alcoholic so it wouldn't lure me into the idea I can drink unlike a beer.
Each to their own at the end of the day, we deep down generally know what our risk factors are.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hmm...
I'm a non drinker of alcohol
I don't use products or juices that contain alcohol

Kurt is correct...you can buy alcohol free
vanilla ... mouthwash...cough syrup

The unsuspecting alcoholic new to sobriety
may get into trouble by not knowing about this.

Some medications react badly with alcohol
and people useing Antabuse are especially
senstive to any alcohol.

Pass me the Iced Tea plese ....
Old 03-22-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

John brought up a good point about that recipe
not being cooked.
This is from my files....for the cooks to consider..

Cooking and Alcohol

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

* 15 minutes 40%

* 30 minutes 35%

* 1 hour 25%

* 1.5 hours 20%

* 2 hours 10%

* 2.5 hours 5%

Now, it may be that the amount of alcohol in a dish is modest to start with, but the fact that some of the alcohol remains could be of significant concern to recovering alcoholics, parents, and others who have ethical or religious reasons for avoiding alcohol.
And you can try these..

Booze Flavoring In Cooking
This was the September 2003 issue of theAA Grapevine.

Sweet or semisweet red wine - Carbonated cranberry drink.

Dry red wine - ½ cup carbonated cranberry drink, plus 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.

Sweet white wine - White grape juice plus 1 Tbsp. corn syrup.

Brandy - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tsp brandy flavoring, or 1/4 cup apple cider with 1 tbsp peach or apricot syrup.

Rum - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tbsp rum extract, or 1/4 cup pineapple juice or syrup flavored with 1 tbsp almond extract.

Sherry - Orange or pineapple juices with peach sirup.

Amaretto - 1 tbsp light corn syrup plus 1 tbsp almond extract and 1/4 cup clear apple juice.

Kirsch - Syrup or juices from cherries, raspberries, boysenberries, currnats or cider.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just to clarify, this recipe is for 6-8 servings, not "a drink", and 1/2 T = 1/4 of an ounce.. so I guess if we spread 1/4 of an ounce into 6-8 servings of extract at 35% alcohol, you'd have your amount per serving.. I viewed that as a rather 'scant' amount, personally.

Geesh!

Thanks for the help, John and Carol... bowing out now.