Notices

Grandmother just died today

Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grandmother just died today

Its not so much that her death is nagging me to drink because shes been out of it for about 2 months and knew this day was coming soon so I am more prepared. However, my whole family loves to drink and know there will be alcohol everywhere here in a couple days. Only 9 days sober and have my first test coming up here.

And were not even Irish.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Sorry about your Grandmother. Just hold on to your sobriety with everything you got. Do you go to AA, call someone . My prayers are with you.
:praying
Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry about your grandmother.

Come here as much as you can or go to an AA meeting.

You can do it! And you will feel like a million dollars when you do. You will seriously feel like you can do anything.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Sorry for your loss
Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Believe808 View Post
Sorry about your Grandmother. Just hold on to your sobriety with everything you got. Do you go to AA, call someone . My prayers are with you.
:praying
I went to my first meeting on Sunday and will be going to my second tonight. I believe I can do it.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers of comfort going out to all who loved this lady.
Mega especially for you.

If offered a drink....
"No thanks...I'm on a health kick"

unless you want to say ..as I did and do...
"I've quit...attending AA...no thanks"
Old 03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

sorry to hear of your loss future22
Old 03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

I too am sorry for your loss and hope you can stay sober .
Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry about your Grandmother. Do what you have to do, pay respects to your Grandmother, and get out of there if need be. Fight for your sobriety. Let nothing and no-one take that from you. Alcohol and drugs are everywhere. It's up to you, not to use it. Good Luck
Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Honor your grandmother by being a sober role model to your family.

I am very sorry for your loss. Use it to become Stronger.

Best of wishes to you.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and then to have to worry about alcohol being everywhere when the family gathers is something you shouldn't have to worry about right now. I have to be honest, if you are that concerned about picking up, why do you have to hang around at these gatherings? Can't you just go, pay your respects to your Grandma and then leave? Does your family know that you are in the early stages of Recovery?

Nothing will bring your Grandma back, you know that. Is it worth risking a relapse just to go and subject yourself to all the drinking that you know will be going on? I agree with coffenut, honor your Grandmother by not drinking. I'm sure she wouldn't want you to risk picking up. You could look at this as the ultimate way of honoring your Grandma and if there are any amends to make to her, this would be a wonderful way to make them. . . by staying sober at this difficult time.

If you need to talk, feel free to PM me. I lost my Father since I have been in Recovery and my Mom's health is deteriorating with each day. I'll be keeping you in my Prayers.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother. I'm kinda going thru the same thing right now. My grandma died on Feb 24, 2009; it was her birthday. Luckly she went quickly and didn't suffer.

For me its helped looking at pictures and just remembering all the good times and great things she has done for us. Memories are important and in the end when you loose someone you care about thats what you have left.

I'm sure you can get thru it, especially for her.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Steve
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry about your grandma. Is there any place you can go while they are around? Just go to the funeral, then make yourself scarce untill they leave..... You Have to be a little selfish & look out for yourself right now. My family's the same way.....
Old 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well I just got back from the viewings, it was a long day but it felt great to be sober during the whole thing. In between the two viewings we went back to one of the houses and a lot of them opened beers and was offered one but really didnt have that much of an urge to take a drink, it felt good. After the last viewing at 8 I went back to the same house to watch the Pittsburgh Penguins for a couple hours and still didnt drink.

Tomorrow is the funeral and feel confident I can make it through it. Funny thing is, I had my phone in my suit pocket and got up from the couch and it flew out and right into my iced tea. The buttons are not working on it right now but I took the battery out right away and put the phone and battery in rice (rice is supposed to help soak up the moisture), hopefully itll work tomorrow morning. Ashaming that happened to me and I was sober. I did drop it in the toilet before while drunk, texting on the phone while taking a leak. It made it through that incident lol.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry and condolence.